PDA

View Full Version : Sky

merylsilverburg
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Ah, this is the first non-paper drawing I ever posted. I created this character called "Sky" (silly name, I know :heh: ) using the crappy Paint program. I decided to post it anyway despite of that and see what you guys think. I know the shading is terrible...I'm not good with shading at all, so any pointers would be helpful! :) Well....I hope you guys like it. :right:

Sky (http://groups.msn.com/Ps2Fantasy/artwork.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=77)

mark0™
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Wow! I have to say, thats one of the best MSPaint pictures I've ever seen!!

I Recommend you buy/download Paintshop or Photoshop, you could make some really awesome stuff with the proper software! :)

merylsilverburg
Feb 16th, 2003, 08:54 PM
*lets out a huge sigh of relief* Whew! I'm glad it looked okay!! I was so nervous about posting it out because I knew the Paint program is terrible and this drawing might not look so good. I'm glad you think it looks okay! :happy: And thank you for the recommendation. I've been trying to get a Photoshop program for a long time, but I need a better computer...:heh: Thank you again! :)

Pu the Owl
Feb 16th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Looks great meryl! Seems one of those cool pics you see posted in oekaki boards... really good! I like the colors you picked for hair and eyes, they make a nice contrast with the background!

I told you many times: you should post more pics!

Gadzoox
Feb 16th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Wowsers Batman! That's CRAZEE!!! Done in MSPaint?!?! gaah! *bows* totally ama-zing! Truly honestly!!! :love:

As for shading, you might want to use more of a contrast in your choice of base and shadow colours. I notice you've got very subtle shading there. It actually goes really well with the whole pic, but if you aren't satisfied, maybe try going darker for the shadow. Also, try and visualize a lightbulb postitioned around the character. ...OR even lightly sketch it on the actual picture so you don't forget where it was. The best advice for shading is by observation though. Look at pictures in magazines or books, or even get a patient friend to sit infront of you!
Blegh, I hope I helped! I might have started rambling somewhere in there... ehhe!

Post more of your art! Now!! :D

merylsilverburg
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Gadzoox

As for shading, you might want to use more of a contrast in your choice of base and shadow colours. I notice you've got very subtle shading there. It actually goes really well with the whole pic, but if you aren't satisfied, maybe try going darker for the shadow. Also, try and visualize a lightbulb postitioned around the character. ...OR even lightly sketch it on the actual picture so you don't forget where it was. The best advice for shading is by observation though. Look at pictures in magazines or books, or even get a patient friend to sit infront of you!
Blegh, I hope I helped! I might have started rambling somewhere in there... ehhe!

Thank you so much for the tips! :happy: I tried to make the shadows under the chin and around the left side of the collar-bones darker, but when I tried to do so, it looked kinda weird against the skin tone. So that's why I left it the way it is. :heh: That's a good idea about the sketching and lightbulb, I must try that next time! Thanks!

Fortune: Thank you too. :) At first, I was going to do another color for the background, but I decided to leave it that way since it seemed to make her "glow". :heh: I'm afraid she looks like Rei Ayanami though because of the hair color. :laugh:

dan da man
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Thats great meryl, its the best MS paint drawing ive seen, it really is good, you must have some patience.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:08 PM
The picture really is great. I can assure you anything I try to draw on MSPAint will come out horrible, but that's because I can't really draw on paper and I believe drawing on a computer is harder.:cool:

kupoartist
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:31 PM
seriously (and most certainly not in a non-positive way), the picture so reminds me of the kind of thing you might see in a SEGA Master System game (like Phantasy Star - the style suits it fairly well as well)... Certainly, it looks very much like its a beautiful picture, limited by the hardware/software on which it was made.

The line work is fantabulos! ... considering the limitations, I don't think i've ever seen anything on Paint like it! Please, Please, Please find a better piece of software... I'm sure we'd love what you'd create even more! :happy:

DSgamer
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:55 PM
good god! that's an amazing pic. post more now!!

Soul Angel
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:37 PM
It's great to see that you've posted another one of your pics Meryl! :happy:

It's really good, especially if you've only used MSPaint to do it in, I could never do anything that good in that programme.
I really like the colours you've used and the pose Sky is in as well.

Oh and I think Sky is a good name as well. ;)
Keep it up and I hope you'll be posting more of your work soon. :)

Gadzoox
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Thank you so much for the tips! :happy: I tried to make the shadows under the chin and around the left side of the collar-bones darker, but when I tried to do so, it looked kinda weird against the skin tone. So that's why I left it the way it is. :heh: That's a good idea about the sketching and lightbulb, I must try that next time! Thanks!

Yeah, Paint is really the worst program out there... If you can do this with that; I can't even imagine what you could do with Photoshop or a good program!! :D

No problem, I'm glad I could help! :happy:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I also think you should put up more of your work, I'm sure other stuff you have done loo great.:cool:

merylsilverburg
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

Thats great meryl, its the best MS paint drawing ive seen, it really is good, you must have some patience.

Thank you very much! It took me about 2 days to draw this because I was having some trouble with shading...:heh:

Originally posted by the_artist

seriously (and most certainly not in a non-positive way), the picture so reminds me of the kind of thing you might see in a SEGA Master System game (like Phantasy Star - the style suits it fairly well as well)... Certainly, it looks very much like its a beautiful picture, limited by the hardware/software on which it was made.

Actually, what I was trying to create was a picture similar to those cute CG girls you seen in those Japanese PC magazines...where the colors are so vivid and angelic-like. I couldn't do it as well, but I'm glad it turned out okay in the end. :)

But, thank you everyone who replied!! I hope to get a better program soon and I'll see what I can do in the future. Thanks again!! *bows deeply* :happy:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:59 PM
No problem. I've been picked on and such for a long time. So, I try to be nice to others because I know how much it hurts to feel like no one likes you or the things you do.:cool:

Beretta55
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:31 AM
Nice drawing! it's awsome! i wish i could draw......i feel so left out:laugh:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Beretta55

Nice drawing! it's awsome! i wish i could draw......i feel so left out:laugh:

You're not alone, unless you can actually write poetry and stuff. Then you would be alone because I'm not good at that stuff.