PDA

View Full Version : HARD mode question

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:29 PM
I'm stuck at the part where you have to shoot out the controls for the infrared lasers before the fight with the herrier. I've been to gamefaqs.com, but their guides aren't clear enough as to where each one is. Just post how to get all of them and I'll figure out what I haven't got, Thank you.

whYte
Feb 1st, 2003, 05:55 AM
The first 4 control units should be easy. Three of them are right in front of
Raiden: One is glued to the central pump and two of them are safely tucked
next to pulsing C4's on the ground to the left. The fourth one is fused on
top of the doorway entrance to Strut D.

The remaining six are tricky to find. First, use the Scope to scout the rough
locations, and then know exactly where they are to supplement my text-based
locations. Ok, let's get the easiest ones. The first of the six to find is
attached to the hovering Cypher in the distance. Zoom in on blinking control
box mounted on the very top of it. Be sure to hit the box only.

Move to the right alcove to get a better view of the next one. Look directly
out into the distance to find this set plastered to the east of the entrance
to Strut G. It's a structural outline of a Shell: Six surrounding C4s and a
single control unit in the center. Carefully snipe the control box. Two down,
four more to go.

Then move to the left alcove and zoom in to the left of the Strut G entrance.
There, Raiden finds the third bunch of the control units encompassed by
several Semtex. After it's been put out of commission, look down to the
bridge to find the next control unit snuggled on the left side in the far
corner.

The second to the last control box is planted on the wall behind the flapping
Sons of Liberty flag off the west side of Strut G's entrance. Wait a while
for a gust of wind to waft the flag off to the side to reveal the control box
situated behind it. You may not know whether or not the shot made contact
with it, so just wait for another breeze. Or you could just wipe out the last
control unit to find out.

The last one is situated on a small ledge below the Strut G entrance on the
west wall. A flock of birds indicates its location. Aim and shoot the unit.
If you end up slaughtering the seagulls instead, the warning should have
drove them away, leaving an open shot. If all goes well, you'll hear a sound
bit where the sensors are put out of gear.
that should help you, if it doesn't buy the official strategy guide, it has pictures of all of them and tells you exactly where they are. ;)

DSgamer
Feb 1st, 2003, 11:30 AM
also, if u f*ck up lots of times doing it, it shows show where all r.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 1st, 2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the help. I found the one I couldn't get. It was the one underneath the connection bridge. I don't see why you would need the sniper rifle for any of the control units up to Hard mode except for the Sypher.

dan da man
Feb 1st, 2003, 02:19 PM
On European Extreme there is about 14 or 16, a pain in the ass to find.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 1st, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

On European Extreme there is about 14 or 16, a pain in the ass to find.

It's the same over here. It took me a long time to figure out where the one I was missing was located.(weeks before I started playing other games)

dan da man
Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

It's the same over here. It took me a long time to figure out where the one I was missing was located.(weeks before I started playing other games)

I know they are hard to find, took me weeks as well.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:21 PM
Now I'm stuck at the Harrier fight. I have a hard time dodging the attacks because I like to go into all-out attack mode.:cool: I should start thinking about moving around more. I don't see how it's possible to get the Big Boss Rank.

dan da man
Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:29 AM
does the harrier cluster bomb you on hard?

if so the tip here is to do that flip jump with raiden over the barrier in the centre, to dodge the clusters this way you dont get hurt.
btw have fought fortune yet?

ssjtrunks13
Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:04 PM
Yes I have. You only figth her once right?

dan da man
Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:04 PM

Yes I have. You only figth her once right?

Yes you do.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 4th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Then why did you ask the question? Was it ebcause you forgot when you fight her?

Anyway, the Harrier fight is still giving me problems. How many of the Metal Gear RAYs do you have to destroy in HARD mode.

dan da man
Feb 4th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Then why did you ask the question? Was it ebcause you forgot when you fight her?

Anyway, the Harrier fight is still giving me problems. How many of the Metal Gear RAYs do you have to destroy in HARD mode.

Nah it dosent matter now because your past her, I was going to give you a few tips.

On hard it's 3 rays I think, isnt it 20 on extreme? that is stupid dont you think?

ssjtrunks13
Feb 4th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Yes, I heard it was all 20 in Extreme. I think Forune wasn't all that hard the first person two really give me problems is Fatman, but I finally did it one time where I went to a movie night at someones house. My heart was pounding really fast after that, It was so close and I was really happy.

dan da man
Feb 4th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Is just that fortune on Euro extreme is stupid, so EXTREME, it was so hard to beat her, took hours and hours. I just thought fortune could of been hard to beet on hard mode.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Nope, she's not all that hard, I don't think I died at her. How about some tips on EXTREME and Did you ever try to get the "BIg Boss" rank?(anyone)

dan da man
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Well EXTREME and EURO EXTREME are both the same accept ones harder, but if some gives you a tip it goes for both of them.

Nope i never tried to get that ranking, where does it tell you your ranking? at the end of the game?

ssjtrunks13
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Well over here they give you a password and a link to go to find out your rank is. I don't know about there though.

dan da man
Feb 5th, 2003, 02:13 PM

Well over here they give you a password and a link to go to find out your rank is. I don't know about there though.

Do you have to go on the konami's website or something?

ssjtrunks13
Feb 5th, 2003, 05:53 PM
I believe so.

dan da man
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM
lol, ive just relealised this thread has turned into a chat room just us talking about metal gera solid 2:laugh: but i think it is cool!!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:57 AM
It's more than just that. Maybe the name should be changed to
"HARD mode and beyond".

dan da man
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:17 PM

It's more than just that. Maybe the name should be changed to
"HARD mode and beyond".

lol, or "hard mode and the rest of the game":laugh:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:59 PM
THat's agoo one,. but I like the sound of "HARD mode and beyond" better. I think that would make more sense because not once did we talk about Normal and below.

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Yea, I think i will do hard mode on substance (its the same thing) and see what you went threw trunks.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Now I'm stuck on the metal gears. I always get to destroying three of the Metal Gears and then I die. I need some serious help. Vamp gave me some trouble, the first fight, but not as much as the annoying Metal Gear RAYs. During the Vamp fight I found the perfect place to shoot at his head. About 'Big Boss' rank I will post the requirements here.

Chapter: Tanker/Plant
Mode: Extreme
Time: Under 3 hours
Damage: No Requirement ?
Shots: Under 700 ?
Alerts: 3
Clear caution modes: 0
Kills: 0
Mech destruction: Under 60 ?
Continue: 0
Rations: 0
Saves: 8 or less
Radar: Off
Special Items: Off
Dog Tags: No Requirement

*There they are, personally I don't see it possible.

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Now I'm stuck on the metal gears. I always get to destroying three of the Metal Gears and then I die. I need some serious help. Vamp gave me some trouble, the first fight, but not as much as the annoying Metal Gear RAYs. During the Vamp fight I found the perfect place to shoot at his head. About 'Big Boss' rank I will post the requirements here.

Chapter: Tanker/Plant
Mode: Extreme
Time: Under 3 hours
Damage: No Requirement ?
Shots: Under 700 ?
Alerts: 3
Clear caution modes: 0
Kills: 0
Mech destruction: Under 60 ?
Continue: 0
Rations: 0
Saves: 8 or less
Radar: Off
Special Items: Off
Dog Tags: No Requirement

*There they are, personally I don't see it possible.

Yea it does look impossible, but under 3 hours on the plant chapter thats sounds hard, you would have to skip all the cut-scenes and codec call which i could not do, thats why i like metal gear becuase of the sweet cut-scenes and codec calls, all the suspence, its really good!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:12 AM
ARe you saying you wouldn't want to skip the cut-scenes? and Did you just play extreme?

Yes, you would have to do that, but it's not just a matter of beating bosses fast, but there's also the shot requirement, having the radar turned off, damage, and using no special items.

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:29 AM

ARe you saying you wouldn't want to skip the cut-scenes? and Did you just play extreme?

Yes, you would have to do that, but it's not just a matter of beating bosses fast, but there's also the shot requirement, having the radar turned off, damage, and using no special items.

^
you are right, all those things and the radar is my biggest help! the guards are like bosses and there would be more!

The only extreme I tries is the European one! its just so hard! the first bit had going at it forabout a hour! I just got upto when fortune kills the seal team 10 cut-scene (correct me if im wrong)

When i get substance for ps2 im going to do all the VR missions and train for European extreme and finally beat it

btw are you getting substance? becuase this time your version has casting thearter and Euro Extreme and all the other stuff!!!!!!!

EDIT: trunks has the writing on your screen just gone small?:peoples:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM

EDIT: trunks has the writing on your screen just gone small?:peoples:

No, Why do you ask? If you mean your's has you can make it bigger by going to 'View' and then 'text size'.

What's casting thetre? So, the extreme in North America is different form the european version. :cool:, Yes I was planning on getting it for PS2. How did you find out about the special features? I couldn't find a thing.

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:51 AM

No, Why do you ask? If you mean your's has you can make it bigger by going to 'View' and then 'text size'.

What's casting thetre? So, the extreme in North America is different form the european version. :cool:, Yes I was planning on getting it for PS2. How did you find out about the special features? I couldn't find a thing.

Its just that the font for the whole size has reshaped to a samller font!

Casting thearter is where you can put diffent characters in diffrent places in a cut-scene for example when vamp kills the navy seals you can have solid snake as vamp, radiens as the nave seals, when pliskin comes in he can be fortune, you just mess about like that! also there's boss survival!

the North American and European are diffrent, (well not that diffrent just more stuff with the European pal version) yours was rushed in time for christmas while us watied till march where konami had the extra time to put extra stuff on for our version. but you get what we got in substance.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Cool, too bad they had to cut out the part with the Twin Towers of the world trade center. I was looking forward to that. Maybe they'll make a remake some time after we've moved on from the 9/11 attacks. I'm hoping.

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Yea that was dissapointing news, thats what delayed the game so bad!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Where are you in Extreme? and have you played hard? If so I was wondering if you could tell me how to get past the second part where solidus starts to suck up your oxygen.

dan da man
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Im not that far yet, so he's giveing you trouble, il try and find out what the tips are.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks, It just seems so impossible. The first time he does it is very easy, but this second time I don't think I ever got through half of it.

mark0™
Feb 9th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Ask yor friends if they have a controller with Rapid Fire funtion so that you can set the controller to press the same button very fast. Thats the only tip I can give you there, or find a freind whos great a button bashing.

dan da man
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Trunks I asked some people on the net and all they said is that you have to have lighting fast fingers!

Hope that helps you.:laugh:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 10th, 2003, 12:05 PM
I kinda figured that you would need to have lightning fast fingers, which would mean I'm great at button mashing. Saddly, I'm not that great and my older brother is worse than me. Oh, I don't know anyone with a rapid fire controller and if I did I still would like to do it myself to feel like I've accomplished something. I guess I'll have to keep trying even if it takes me over fifty tries. Thanks anyway.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 10th, 2003, 06:22 PM
I have great news. I finally found a way to get past the rest of the game. For the part I was stuck at I took my index finger and shook it back and forth over the action button. I thought this deserved a new post on it's own, sorry.

dan da man
Feb 11th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Yea, I used a end of a pencil i think.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:28 AM
That wouldn't ahve worked for me. My problem was my finger got tired after only a couple of seconds and I found that what I did may have got me done to one more suction aqnd I would have died but at least I got past the part. After that Solidus isn't too hard.

dan da man
Feb 11th, 2003, 10:53 AM
So you completed the game now on hard mode?

We should start extreme mode together to help each other out, but give it a while yet.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 11th, 2003, 11:59 AM
So we should take a break after doing hard because EXTREMe will be harder and we don't want to play it as frustrated as we are from the annoying Harrier and Solidus parts. That's a great idea, just let me know when you're ready. Also, I may be trying to get the dog tags so it'll take me a while. After that if your interested we can try the big boss rank thing and How do you get all that stuff to show up at the end? because all I've seen is some of that.

dan da man
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:27 PM
cool, I would like to collect all the dog tags too, going to be some challenge, so we do extreme? then after that the bigboss ranking? ahhhhhhh:laugh:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 12th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah, sounds like a plan. Now we need to estimate how long all that will take. We'd need a lot of practice in order to the Big Boss rank, when the time ocmes I will give you the page where the guide is.

dan da man
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Ok we will practise in the mean while for aiming at the big boss rank.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 13th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Here is the place to go for the guide, you might want to save it as a text document and read it because you will have to scroll a lot if you view it in the web page.

It's on gamefaqs.com, all you have to do is search for Metal Gear Solid 2 and click on 'FAQs' and then look for the guide that has 'Big Boss rank" in the title.(I checked it out while writing this and I'll have to wait to get you the exact page if you would like me to.)

dan da man
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Just checked that link up put up, trunks, its good, that will help us alot, Im going to ask around now, seeing how many people have completed it on Extreme or got the big boss rank, you should too, then too know or not if its just me or going on a sucide mission to get the bigg boos rank.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Just checked that link up put up, trunks, its good, that will help us alot, Im going to ask around now, seeing how many people have completed it on Extreme or got the big boss rank, you should too, then too know or not if its just me or going on a sucide mission to get the bigg boos rank.

Yeah, it will. I was also thinking it is going to be some suicide mission that's going to make us crazy trying to achieve it. It's probably a plot laid by the FAQ writer.:cool:

Esjay
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Forgive me for intruding, but can I ask you guys why you want to get the Big Boss ranking so badly? I mean I've done it a couple times, but you don't actually get anything for it...so why? I mean there's the bragging rights and the pride and everything, but the game doesn't even acknowledge that you got this rank in any way, it just tells you you got the ranking like it's no big deal, and getting the Big Boss rank is no easy feat. I just think you shouldn't waste your time, that's all. But if you still want to do it, good luck to you. Also, if you turn the Radar off, your chances of getting the rank improve, by like 20%. I thought that would help.

Good luck to you.