PDA

View Full Version : Dogs or cats?

Gadzoox
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:27 AM
Do you like dogs or cats better?

I'm a 100% dog fan all the way.

I'd like to think you can tell what a person is like by their preferance. :)

DragonSphere
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:30 AM
I ain't very good with animals, but for the sake of the question, I'd choose dogs, since they're much more active than cats.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:37 AM
Cats because they don't get real big like dogs do and my allergies don't act up as much as I'm near a dog(espevially the big ones)

DSgamer
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:40 AM
i like dogs, i used to have a husky. I used to like cats, but after a while, they get fat and sleep all the time. I'd rather get fish instead of cats, they do the same thing, but with less mess.

MakgSnake
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:54 AM
I love DOGS!!!!! Dont care if its a puppy or a full grown. As when it comes to cats, only kittens....... I dont like CATS! Me no Like Pussies. j/k No I am serious! :roll:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:13 AM
There's a whole lot of DOG lovers here(more than I'd like to know) we need people to reply who actuallylike cats and maybe you could turn this into a poll. That way we can settle the war between cats and dogs once and for all! WHose with me?
I even wanted the cats to win in Cats and Dogs.

Sleazy P Martini
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:41 AM
Cats all the way. A good low maintenance pet ;)

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini

Cats all the way. A good low maintenance pet ;)

That's what I'm talkin' about. See, cats may like to scratch at stuff, and that's cool with me, while dogs chew up stuff as thin as paper and knock over trash cans no matter how old they are. ATleast the scratching doesn't leve as big of a mess as the chewing does.

Beretta55
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:45 AM
Cat's man. cat's are more of my kinda animal's fat,lazy and just genrally dont give a crap about anything:laugh:
but remember cat's dont have owner's they just have staff:laugh:

David
Jan 31st, 2003, 02:58 AM
I like dogs, expecially little ones. I ain't no cat lover for one reason. They ain't smart enough to learn how to be obiediant. Dang furnature scratchers....:laugh:

Dogs won't bite your stuff, if you either show them a bone, or the newspaper.;)

Berserker
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:54 AM
Cats and dogs are like people...some I like some I don't.

Piggle_humsy
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:01 AM
I can't really choose either! I have 2 cats at my work home and 2 dogs at my home home! I basically love all animals!
I am maybe a little more of a dog fan but its like 55/45! I can cuddle my dogs better and they do tricks and cute stuff but my kittens are also cute and do silly stuff like curl up in carrier bags and also go to sleep in the bathroom sink! awww!!

If i was made to choose a pet (And if i didnt already have a pet) i would probly choose a dog! But if this was made into a poll you would have to put a "both" option!

ok! Bye bye!

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

Daniel Legge
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:50 AM
I prefer dogs but i do like cats as well. I have one dog and one cat but i spend more time with my dog. I do love both dog and cat but i prefer the dog cos my dog is more fun.

Gadzoox
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ZeroSniper

Cats are so... annoying. :mad: I've never liked cats and don't think I ever will. They're just all over the place and stuff... ugh, those annoying hairballs :mad:

EXACTLY!! :)

I own a cat and a dog and my cat is such a total JERK!! I hate him about 90% of the time. Stupid cat. He does stuff just to piss me off, like scratch the couch and scratch ME!

I'll just be sitting there petting him and whamo! A few more bites and scratches added to the humungous pile. My hands are all scarred now from him. (currently I've got one on the top of my hand from my wrist right down to the second knuckle on my index finger!)

Plus the cat is ALWAYS being mean to the dog, every chance he gets he's staring him down. My dog won't go through the hallway if the cat is sitting there either. Beastly thing.

My dog on the other hand would NEVER ever even consider hurting me in any way, and if he does by accident when we are playing he'll actually get upset!! He's bigger to cuddle with, and what about the saying "Man's best friend!!" so there. :)

Plus dogs have the courtesy to do their business outside!

Heehee, remember these are opinions, ssjrunks! They will always be around no matter what, it's human nature to do this!
I find it really interesting to see what you guys prefer!

Lost_myth
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:44 AM
I favor dogs over cats. Here's mine:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/lost_myth/big_nose.txt

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/lost_myth/crazy_eye.txt

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/lost_myth/daisy.txt

Pu the Owl
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:49 AM
I can't say which is better, if dogs or cats, but among them I prefer cats. I used to have both at home, so I could compare their behaviour and their way of reacting. I think cats are more... indipendent. They like to mind their own business and hate to be disturbed, but they're really funny, because in the end they're crazy and nonsensical animals, but they can be mysterious at the same time. And their selfishness is amazing :laugh:

mark0™
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Gadzoox

My dog on the other hand would NEVER ever even consider hurting me in any way, and if he does by accident when we are playing he'll actually get upset!! He's bigger to cuddle with, and what about the saying "Man's best friend!!" so there. :)

lol, my dog does that too, if he hurts me when we're playing, hell go over to me as if to say sorry lol, hard to explain. Plus if I hit him by accident, he'll forgive me later! (if I give him lotsa sweets)

I love my dog! His names homer, he's a Samoyed and he's gonna be 3 in March 1st!! (21 in dog years lol)

And Cats.. ugh. I totally agree with Gadzoox and ZeroSniper on them.

Pu the Owl
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Gadzoox

My dog on the other hand would NEVER ever even consider hurting me in any way, and if he does by accident when we are playing he'll actually get upset!!

This is your dog, not any dog. Some dogs are taught to hurt people, even children. And indeed they do. I think the worst limit of dogs is the fact they can be taught what to do.

I had a friend seriously hurt by a dog when we were in high school. She was so terribly injured that she still has huge and deep scars all over her arms and on her back for what the dog did to her. She could die devoured by the dog in that accident... I'm not exaggerating, really. She had to stay in the hospital for more than one month to cure her scars. The dog devoured her flesh in some parts of her body.

Unfortunately, saying "Dog is man's best friend" would be correct only considering which kind of man is the one who's taking care of the dog. Some people like to make of their dog a friend, some others like to make of it a beast which is also a danger for other persons.

I agree on that with Piggle Humsy's statement saying there are some dogs she likes and cats she likes and dogs and cats she doesn't like.

dan da man
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:06 PM
100% dogs fan, i luv dogs and i own one, hes only a puppy but a proper dog in a couple of months.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM
We've also got a dog over here, her name is Brandy, last night I caught her chewing up a napkin form the trash can, bot that anyone would care. I also like cats becasuse of their independents and for a long time my best friend was a cat named Lovey, my older sister named her(I miss the two a lot.)

fantasytiger
Jan 31st, 2003, 03:03 PM
Your Dog is soooo cute chick3nwire

as for me I have neither I did want a black cat at one time but if I had to choose any animal i would said iguana's lol

kupoartist
Jan 31st, 2003, 03:15 PM
I really don't know! as already said, some Dogs are simply nicer than others... I adore teenie dogs, but am really scared of bigger ones... but they all tend to be viscous to outsiders. Only a Post/Milk/Paper person could ever point that out to you. There simply is no difference between a big or teenie dog when you're outside their door. Cats can also hurt you a little, but then they don't actually care (so thats where they loose points :laugh: )... In the end, they both have their pros and cons, and will inevitably crap on your carpet at some time during their lives. hence why my mum has never allowed me to have either. bah. I'll get a Rat or somthing and then she'd really be scared :P

David
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:18 PM
That's a cute dog Chick3nWire! I'm so angry now, people who have an account with ranchoweb.com, who are not a paying member, doesn't allow none paying members, to upload a picture there. Poor Annabell, she won't be shown again....

Vicious
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:51 PM
dogs rule

Zone
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:07 PM
I really like all animals, but personally, I'd have to say I'm a cat person. Of course, that's probably because I've grown up with one; he's almost 16 years old! He's my best bud. :D

Pu the Owl
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Zone
Of course, that's probably because I've grown up with one; he's almost 16 years old!

Wow! 16 years is a lot for a cat, isn't it? I'm impressed! :shock:

mark0™
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:31 PM
My old Neighbour had a cat who lived to be 17 (human years!!)... then.. you know.. :(

I have another question, whatcha prefer, Gerbils or Hamsters? lol

I'd have to say Hamsters, because I've owned 4 my entire life plus Gerbils Tails look really creepy !!

Gadzoox
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Fortune

This is your dog, not any dog. Some dogs are taught to hurt people, even children. And indeed they do. I think the worst limit of dogs is the fact they can be taught what to do.

Yes but that's ALL because of human fault! Cats are cruel by nature! heh.

I pity anyone who's been scarred by an animal, and I just pray they don't blame the animal. Humans are the cause of these occurances and it really is depressing to corrupt any animal to that point.

Dogs are just so willing to please and just really don't know any better if they are rewarded for behaviour like that. They want their owner to be happy so they do as they are told. I'm sure someone who would teach a dog to be like that can't be good people themselves and have probably beaten the dog to bring it to these limits as well.

I assume cats can be trained as well? Maybe my cat is such a jerk because he was abused before? ( I got him from the humain society, used cat, ehh)

That's the thing I hate about cats is that they are so independant and they think they are better than everyone.

I think a HUGE part in this 'dogs or cats?' dealy has to do with upbringing too. I mean if you've had a dog all your life (as me) and then get a cat 20 years later, you expect the cat to be somewhat like the dog in the fact that they care about their owners and care not to hurt them or whatnot. I'm not saying that I expect all animals to be alike! By heavens no. Just that when you get an animal as a pet... I guess you'd expect something of them... I can't really put into words what I'm trying to say so I'll stop now.

RATS make EXCELLENT pets!!! they are pefect for anyone!!! Gah I love them!!! I 've owned 10 in my lifetime and live the little guys to death bt I developed an allergy to them. :/

David
Feb 1st, 2003, 02:31 AM
I can't understand why people like lazy cats? They are hissing, scratching, lazy, and boring pets. I rather take my dog outside and pick up the poop with a grocery bag, then dump a stinky, piss and crap letter box. That's desgusting, yuck!:P

Redpyramidhead
Feb 1st, 2003, 03:42 AM

Wow! 16 years is a lot for a cat, isn't it? I'm impressed! :shock:
my neighbors cats lived into their 20's. i used to take care of them while they were away.

Yes it is true some cats certainly seem ornary or even viscious to their owners and other cats and dogs, but I absolutely love the nice ones. My cat is an absolute sweetheart and the fact that she is more independant than a dog does not bother me anymore. Before I got Belle (my cat) we had a couple of dogs that I loved and cared about very much. I can't say which I prefer because my ability to connect with animals has sorta allowed me to understand both cats and dogs almost equally. Actually, dogs are a little harder to understand in certain ways because they act less like people than cats do.
Anywayz...personally I can't stand it much when people argue which is better...but carry on if you must.
Just let it be known that I dream of a world where people love cats and dogs equally and may sit down to eat at the same table together feeding scraps to their pets be it dog or cat!

_RED_ stuff

Pu the Owl
Feb 1st, 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead
Anywayz...personally I can't stand it much when people argue which is better...but carry on if you must.

Yeah, that's pretty annoying when people start arguments for deciding which is better. Cats are not cruel by nature, as dogs are not cruel by nature. Cruelty is something that man applies to other species, but it's not proper of them. Cats and dogs are all animals. They follow instincts and instincts are similar for each animal, telling them to feed themselves, to reproduce themselves, to protect their territories and to survive. For this reason, when a dog or a cat is in danger or in other particular situations, no matter what, it'll act like an animal. There won't be anymore "man's best friend" or other similar things. They'll hurt you if they must, because they'll try to protect themselves and their breed (if they have one). This is not cruelty, this is nature. Better you learn this instead of dissing an animal's nature because you don't like it or because you don't know much about it.

That's the thing I hate about cats is that they are so independant and they think they are better than everyone.

Thinking they're better than anyone is not proper of a cat's mind either. The cat simply don't care, that's why it can't be trained as a dog. Cats like to be left alone when they want to stay alone. They're not as social as dogs, but they like company sometimes.

I think a HUGE part in this 'dogs or cats?' dealy has to do with upbringing too. I mean if you've had a dog all your life (as me) and then get a cat 20 years later, you expect the cat to be somewhat like the dog in the fact that they care about their owners and care not to hurt them or whatnot. I'm not saying that I expect all animals to be alike! By heavens no.

What you said it's true: people usually decide which is "better" thinking about the pets they used to own. I repeat: I had both (dogs for 9+ years and cats for 12+ years) and for different aspect they're all great pets. It's pretty unfair comparing them.

IcyMourdor
Feb 1st, 2003, 08:49 AM
I would have to say cats. Although mine died over the summer, I plan on getting a new one when I move out to an apartment.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 1st, 2003, 11:55 AM
I have lived with cats and dogs just as long as the other. I don't dislike dogs because they are cruel, but because I connect better with the cats. I also felt that me and the cat I used are kinda the same, disliked and misunderstood.

Pu the Owl
Feb 1st, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

I don't dislike dogs because they are cruel, but because I connect better with the cats. I also felt that me and the cat I used are kinda the same, disliked and misunderstood.

Well, I hope nobody here completely dislikes animals. Hating or disliking some kind of animal, like a dog or a cat, is really sad, but not for the pet, obviously. It's sad for the person, because whatever the pet, you can learn a lot of things from it. Preference is one thing, hate is another, I think.

BTW, cats are indeed misunderstood sometimes, mainly because they want to keep things for themselves. They're secretive animals, they don't like to share anything like dogs do. Are you saying you feel the same way ssjtrunks?

mark0™
Feb 1st, 2003, 12:18 PM
For this reason, when a dog or a cat is in danger or in other particular situations, no matter what, it'll act like an animal. There won't be anymore "man's best friend" or other similar things. They'll hurt you if they must, because they'll try to protect themselves and their breed (if they have one). This is not cruelty, this is nature.

In what circumstances do you think a dog or cat will attack its master to survive?

ssjtrunks13
Feb 1st, 2003, 12:29 PM

BTW, cats are indeed misunderstood sometimes, mainly because they want to keep things for themselves. They're secretive animals, they don't like to share anything like dogs do. Are you saying you feel the same way ssjtrunks?

That's part of it, the other part is she sometimes would drool and purred a lot, my older brother always disliked her for that. I compared those to my faults.

She always used to sleep on my back at night. I miss her a lot.:blink:

Pu the Owl
Feb 1st, 2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mark0

In what circumstances do you think a dog or cat will attack its master to survive?

Listen to one little example: I told I had dogs. One of them was really really fond of my father. But entering a fight with other dogs, he didn't hesitate do to hurt my father who was trying to stop him. All this because the other dog was "invading" the territory (my garden to be more precise). In normal circumstances my dog was all sweet and humble, doing anything to stay with my dad or to please him. But you know, one thing is how a dog behaves when he stays among humans only or among other pets he knows quite well, another is when a dog meets other dogs he considers to be rivals (regarding territory or female dogs). They really are different things. It's the same for cats, anyways. I had the chance to notice the same thing happening to my male cat in more than one occasion.

mark0™
Feb 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM
You can't totally domesticate a dog or cat, it's instincts stay with it from the day it is born until the day it dies. But In that example you gave, the dog was looking out for one thing, itself. And It sounds as if you dog mistook your dads actions (dogs aint that smart) But no point in arguing about animal instincts and that crap.

I hope your dad wasn't too hurt by your dog.

Pu the Owl
Feb 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by mark0

You can't totally domesticate a dog or cat, it's instincts stay with it from the day it is born until the day it dies. But In that example you gave, the dog was looking out for one thing, itself. And It sounds as if you dog mistook your dads actions (dogs aint that smart) But no point in arguing about animal instincts and that crap.

I hope your dad wasn't too hurt by your dog.

Exactly. Insticts can't be blamed. There's no point in blaming an animal for following them and it's pure nonsense calling an animal cruel for this reason.

Note: yes, my dad was hurt in that occasion (we were going to the seaside for the weekend and instead we had to bring him to the hospital :P), but it was nothing terribly serious. But he got really mad at the dog :laugh:

ssjtrunks13
Feb 1st, 2003, 05:37 PM
It's nice to know he's okay after that. So, is it their instinct to go through trash cans and cheew up paper? I seriously would like to know.

Rei
Feb 1st, 2003, 08:11 PM
I like both. I cannot say which I prefer, 'cause they're all wonderful. I find pleasure in spending my time with a dog or a cat, no difference, because they both have some appealing, lovable and interesting aspects.

It's true that I don't like all dogs and cats, like Piggle said. Some of them are irritating, like many people...

Gadzoox
Feb 1st, 2003, 10:59 PM
Irritating like meee?!?! ehehe.

I know my problem with my cat (and all cats for me i suppose) is that I really don't get them. As I said before I've only ever had dogs, and I personally don't think dogs are hard to understand at all.

My dislike for cats has been spawned by their 'secretness' and their ability to NOT care, and not be social, and why they could hurt their owner for no reason, and well all those points you said Fortune, I just can't understand WHY they would be like that. I guess the 'dumbness' of the dog has rubbed off on me. ;)

I'm not the smartest, and I know that, I'm not proud of it or anything, it's just me. I'll probably never understand cats and therefore will probably never really 'like' them because of it, which IS pretty stupid of me, I know. *shrug* So I'll just stick with my dogs and be happy and dumb with them. :D