PDA

View Full Version : New York New York - really a dangerous place?

Bogart
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:51 AM
I've a big curiosity. I watch a lot of movies, and as you may know, New York is often the place where good part of U.S. movies take place.

Now, the image I get from these movies and from newspapers is the image of a really dangerous city; today I went into a bookstore and looked at a tourist guide for New York - in one of the first pages, where the "important indications for the tourist" were, it's written:

"It's always better to move by Taxi and to avoid the Underground. After 7 p.m. it's necessary to not walk alone in unknown streets, and the Underground must be abolutely avoided."

Now, I think many of you are from New York: is it really a dangerous place? Did something bad ever happened to you in New York? And what about your home city?

When I asked the above question to a friend of mine who lives in New York he said:

"no nothing bad ever happened to me. Well, my uncle was a Taxi Driver in New York and a punk shot him in the head". :P

chico
Jan 30th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Yes, New York is very dangerous. You will encounter a Mafia every 2 min.

MakgSnake
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM
I dont live in NewYork but I have been to Manhattan alot of times, and to be honest, its alot safer then before...... actually I visited the place before 911, and it was awesome, people were outside even after 12am, and that also on the 42nd street, which happened to be the most dangerous before. But its quite safe now, ......... still If you walk anywhere in any city where there is no one around and dark and all, you will encounter something bad (not all the time, but chances are higher).

Bronx on the other hand is a place you might not wanna go, especially if you dont know anyone there....... if you do, I think your a little safe then. But crime happens everywhere.....and people get shot almost in every single city on this planet.

Killuminati
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:30 PM
ha. Depends where in New York u are.

i've bin to the Bronx a couple times, kno some ppl there. well i saw one of my buds i know there get shot, and i got shot at.

definatley a dangerous place.

Sword 4 Hire
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Sure NY can be dangerous...but so can anywhere else...I hear Detroits full of crime so why are we just pinpointing New York?

Hylas
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire
I hear Detroits full of crime so why are we just pinpointing New York?

Because Bogart asked if NY is dangerous, not Detroit ;)

Vicious_2003
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Ive nevr been to NY but I live in Ohio and ive had the misfortune of having to go to detroit for some Red Wings games (Go Wings !!) . I can tell you that Detroit is a dirty shithole of a place (Atleast the parts we drove through) The parts that arent smog ridden pollution factorys are dirty crime ridden gheddoes full of extreemly mean looking (Black) people. I try and stay clear of that place unless its entirely neccesary . Of course thiere are probably some nice spots in the city too I just never saw any. Oh yeah theres also alot of Lions fans thier, another reason to stay far faaar away. :laugh:

David
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Wow! New York is that dangerous... I'll take a vacation somewhere else, hmmmm.... Walt Disney!

Anyway, I don't want to go to New York anymore.;)

Sword 4 Hire
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Hylas

Because Bogart asked if NY is dangerous, not Detroit ;)

I was simply asking Bogart why are we just discussing New York...the backbone of this discussion seems to go along with dangerous cities and I read somewhere that Detroit had the highest crime rate in America right now, so I was wondering why we couldn't discuss other cities other than New York because it isn't fair to specifically say "oh New York sure is bad" when there are worst cities out there...thats all I was gettin at...besides I was asking Bogart ;)

Daedaelus
Jan 30th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by David

Wow! New York is that dangerous... I'll take a vacation somewhere else, hmmmm.... Walt Disney!

No its not! I live in New York City. It's a great place and not dangerous at all. There are cops everywhere and people aren't as mean as they show them in movies and TV shows.

Detroit had the highest crime rate in America right now

Thats right. However, New York City still holds the highest rate of murders every year.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Iguana

Thats right. However, New York City still holds the highest rate of murders every year.

How's that possible? Oh, wait you're saying the crimes that mainly go down in New York are murders while in Detoit there are more crimes being pulled of than Ney York. I get it now.

Berserker
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:48 AM
Went on a vacation last year to NY loved it. Going back this year it's the best city in the world ( besides amsterdamn ;) )
Like most cities better stay clear of certain barios when you've got no business there and you'll do fine.

Bogart
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire

I was simply asking Bogart why are we just discussing New York...the backbone of this discussion seems to go along with dangerous cities and I read somewhere that Detroit had the highest crime rate in America right now, so I was wondering why we couldn't discuss other cities other than New York because it isn't fair to specifically say "oh New York sure is bad" when there are worst cities out there...thats all I was gettin at...besides I was asking Bogart ;)

Oh I thought it was clear... if you read my post I wrote

I've a big curiosity. I watch a lot of movies, and as you may know, New York is often the place where good part of U.S. movies take place. Now, the image I get from these movies and from newspapers is the image of a really dangerous city;

I asked about New York because it's absoluteley the most "used" city in violent movies. That's all...;)

By the way, thanks all for answering me!

dan da man
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:47 PM
never been to New York, didnt know it was so dangerous, but i did know its got a big crime rate.

Sword 4 Hire
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Bogart

Oh I thought it was clear... if you read my post I wrote

Indeed I did...I was just asking a question relating to your previous post...oh whoops...;)

There we go

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

never been to New York, didnt know it was so dangerous, but i did know its got a big crime rate.

I didn't know about either of the two. I need to get away from here.:D

mark0™
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:42 PM
I'm totally off topic here, but Trunks, why are you posting useless crap?!

I juts wish I had something to say.

whats that about?

How's that possible? Oh, wait you're saying the crimes that mainly go down in New York are murders while in Detoit there are more crimes being pulled of than Ney York. I get it now.

If you figured it out, why did you post it, you obviously figured it out after you made your first sentance, so why'd you post a question and the answer your own question all in the same post?

Sorry for bitching, not that I got anything against you, I just thought those two posts are pretty usless bud, and the first one I quoted was definately spam..

Now to be on-topic, I Have the idea that Y is a crime ridden place at night in certain areas, mainly because of TV n Films, obviously, that isn't a source to beleive.Ive been to NY once for the weekend, but I didnt encounter any crie.. But NY does have a crime problem, although it may be exagerrated.

Vicious
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:49 PM
never been to NY before

Killuminati
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:49 PM
if u wanna talk about dangerous cities.

Baltimore is easily one of the most dangerous places. highest teen pregnancy rate, highest death rate among lower-class citizens, highest drug user rate. Baltimore is probably the most dangerous city in North America. another extremely dangerous place is Crenshaw

mark0™
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:54 PM
Yeah Baltimore Is a real bad place, I know that from a Tupac Documentary lol, you seen it killuminati? It's called "Thug Angel".

Not much danger up in Scotland, theres the few gang related Murders in Glasgow (Rare) but Violent crimes don't seem to be heard of (although they definately exist, the papers just dont report it)

But I like not having to look over my shoulder lol.

goodman
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_XZ84

Ive nevr been to NY but I live in Ohio and ive had the misfortune of having to go to detroit for some Red Wings games (Go Wings !!) . I can tell you that Detroit is a dirty shithole of a place (Atleast the parts we drove through) The parts that arent smog ridden pollution factorys are dirty crime ridden gheddoes full of extreemly mean looking (Black) people. I try and stay clear of that place unless its entirely neccesary . Of course thiere are probably some nice spots in the city too I just never saw any. Oh yeah theres also alot of Lions fans thier, another reason to stay far faaar away. :laugh:

You oughta just put some shoe polish on your face and do your best Al Jolson routine, Weapon, im sure you would be fine, give you a chance to work on that drama career you've been considering....

David
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By Iguana

No its not! I live in New York City. It's a great place and not dangerous at all. There are cops everywhere and people aren't as mean as they show them in movies and TV shows.

You are totally right, I don't know what I was thinking... I ain't listening what people seen or heard "sorry guys", I follow what I seen, only.

Vicious_2003
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:56 PM
Alot of the murders in New York are drug related so as long as you arent buying or selling any your in better shape. Im sure the odds of the average person being injured due to a crime is still very low. Id go thier in a hart beat !. Looks like an awesome place to be, plenty of things to do, plenty of places to go. I think thats also a big reason why its in so many movies, its one of, if not THE most interesting place in the world. Also its urban areas are heavily populated, more people= more crime.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:02 PM
Sorry, guess I wasn't thinking.

Anyway, I've been to Baltimore to see an Oriole's game one year and afterwards it was dark and a little foreboding. I wouldn't have been surprised if something had of happened that night.

Killuminati
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by mark0

Yeah Baltimore Is a real bad place, I know that from a Tupac Documentary lol, you seen it killuminati? It's called "Thug Angel".

ya i own that Documentary. its pretty good.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Killuminati

ya i own that Documentary. its pretty good.

I guess I'll have to look into it then.

dan da man
Feb 1st, 2003, 09:35 AM
Where i live can be quite dangerous because there is alot of gangsters and always having shootouts at each over, the other week two teenage girls got cuaght in a shootout and got shot dead. about 1 person get shot a week where a live (can vary), especially in pubs, its all those drug dealers aswell, plus terroists make it a dangerous place, one cop got stabbed to death the other week two by a terroists.

Faile
Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:27 AM
Where i live can be quite dangerous because there is alot of gangsters and always having shootouts at each over,

Lies.

the other week two teenage girls got cuaght in a shootout and got shot dead.

That was Birmingham. Get your facts right.

about 1 person get shot a week where a live (can vary), especially in pubs, its all those drug dealers aswell, plus terroists make it a dangerous place,

Thats also false. How many drug dealers do you see in manchester ? I know of someone who works in Moss Side in apub, the area of most deprevation, and she hasn't encountered or seen of these gun toting gangsters.

Yes, a Policeman was stabbed and died by a terror suspect, but he only died because he wasn't wearing the reccomended body armour

dan da man
Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
ok, so i went on a bit, but you dont know where i exactly live. so what did exactly happen to them two teenage girls? they did get shot!
And faile go down some of the backstreets at night in Manchester (dont advise u too) but when i did with some of my friends, you can see them all, jamican gangtas guys, there just like scallies but with weapons and gold chains.

mark0™
Feb 2nd, 2003, 12:28 PM
haha Dan, Faile caught you out lol

Organised Crime in Britain is kept so quiet it seems non-existant, and thats want gangsters want.

EDIT- I just notice dan your post count is "1337" lol L33T!!

Thats just some dumb H4X0r slang

dan da man
Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:11 PM
I think I have been playing too much of the getaway lol:laugh:

Anyway, Manchester is a very nice place.

mark0™
Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

ok, so i went on a bit, but you dont know where i exactly live. so what did exactly happen to them two teenage girls? they did get shot!
And faile go down some of the backstreets at night in Manchester (dont advise u too) but when i did with some of my friends, you can see them all, jamican gangtas guys, there just like scallies but with weapons and gold chains.

So If manchester Is a nice place now as you claim, do you admit you lied again on the above quote?

Sword 4 Hire
Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:34 PM
Well now this is heating up...

dan da man
Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mark0

So If manchester Is a nice place now as you claim, do you admit you lied again on the above quote?

No that is not lies.... But Manchester is a nice place, its like New York is a nice place but has a high crime rate.
I was saying cities are nice places but there is going to have badboys and crooks on the loose in the cities.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:59 PM
Really? Even over here in VA? I have yet to hear of something interesting, except for the sniper.

Sword 4 Hire
Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by goodman

Yep, there is no city that doesnt have something of a crime element, no reason to mention just one city, which has been stated previously...

Thank you, my point exactly

dan da man
Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by goodman

Yep, there is no city that doesnt have something of a crime element, no reason to mention just one city, which has been stated previously...

Yep, you said it perfectly, thats what i was trying to say, thx goodman.