PDA

View Full Version : Hideo Kojima Talks MGS3

Vic Viper
Jan 25th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Ever the workaholic, famed Konami producer Hideo Kojima has been keeping busy with a slate of PlayStation2 sequels lately. With Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance already on shelves and Zone of Enders: Anubis expected to hit retailers next month, Kojima-san has turned his attention toward Metal Gear Solid 3. Albeit originally confirmed last fall, Kojima-san recently revealed in an interview with Famitsu that development isn't going to be as easy this time around.

Question: How did you spend 2002?[b/]

Kojima-san: It's hard to believe 2002 is already over, it went quick didn't it? I think the initial reaction to the September 2001 attack on New York was to condem games like Metal Gear Solid 2, and that impact lasted through 2002. The majority of my time was spent working on Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Zone of Enders: Anubis and beginning work on Metal Gear Solid 3.

[b]Question: What can you tell us about Metal Gear Solid 3?

Kojima-san: Well, there will be another sequel. [smiles..] To be honest though, I didn't want to do a third installment. I don't like how companies feed off the popularity of a series and continually release sequels. In this case however, the outcry from the fans has been overwhelming and I'm convinced there's enough new ideas for another Metal Gear. However, development isn't going to be easy and players shouldn't expect the game very soon. Trying to create the same type of visual and technical leap from Metal Gear Solid to Metal Gear Solid 2 will be extremely difficult. From 1 to 2 [Metal Gear Solid] we went from PlayStation to PlayStation2. Developing another installment on the PlayStation2 will force us to maximize the capabilities of the hardware. That's one of the reasons why I originally wanted to develop Metal Gear Solid 3 on PlayStation3. [smiles..]

Question: Visually, it seems like you've already reached the limits of the PlayStation2. What more can you do?

Kojima-san: We're going to do our best. Certainly there are aspects of Metal Gear Solid 2 which can be improved upon - its not impossible because we're using the same hardware. Rather, in order to create that dramatic leap for the players we're planning to take the series in new directions.

-- Translation Asst. Tsuno Okashi

:)

source: xengamers

dan da man
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:24 AM
thanks for this exciting news king, well im not expecting the game early lets just hope kojima pulls out another masterpeice which will be better than mgs2 (very hard to do)

Daniel Legge
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Im sure he will do a good job on MGS3, there is no way its goin to be a bad game its just how much of a good game it is. If that makes any sense, im not sure. ah well.

Gaseous_Baboon
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:03 PM
What's this? Word with the creator instead of wild speculation by fans? Intriguing...

ssjtrunks13
Jan 25th, 2003, 06:50 PM
There's no way Kojima could disappoint us, his most loyal fans. As I said before, it can only get better.

dan da man
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

it can only get better.

true, very true.

trunks69420
Jan 29th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Hideo Kojima not dissapoint?? Not to be controversial, but who here really liked Raiden? I sure as hell didn't! The game was top notch, but not being able to use snake all the way through? WTF!! Don't get me wrong MGS is UNTOUCHABLE, but I just hope that Raiden isn't in this one! His whining annoyed me to no end, and he was nowhere near snakes level. Please Mr. kojima, if you are reading this: Leave the white haired pansy out!! I want an ALL SNAKE game.

As for predictions, I hope HK evolves the series a little more. Gameplay is allright, but more story. Didn't MGS2 seem a little "the same" ?? Sure it was dif. but it turned out to be just a computer simulation of MGS1. I don't mean hatred toward anyones opinion... Just making hopefull statements for MGS3. What do you guys think??

MakgSnake
Jan 29th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by trunks69420

Hideo Kojima not dissapoint?? Not to be controversial, but who here really liked Raiden? I sure as hell didn't! The game was top notch, but not being able to use snake all the way through? WTF!! Don't get me wrong MGS is UNTOUCHABLE, but I just hope that Raiden isn't in this one!
I really really like Raiden the character, he is the heart of MGS2, and I hope he comes back in MGS3, but I know he wont, still I want him there..somewhere. Of course not playable though.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 29th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

I really really like Raiden the character, he is the heart of MGS2, and I hope he comes back in MGS3, but I know he wont, still I want him there..somewhere. Of course not playable though.

Of course not playable, I'd be disappointed if that ever happened.

trunks69420
Jan 29th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Good call. I wouldn't mind him if he wasn't playable. I just want Snake, and nothing but:cool:

I guess i am still a little angry at the "snake depravation". But now i have substance, so that is taken care of:phew:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by trunks69420

I guess i am still a little angry at the "snake depravation". But now i have substance, so that is taken care of:phew:

Is substance out for PS2 yet?

dan da man
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Is substance out for PS2 yet?

not yet....

i would'nt mind raiden being in mgs3, i liked him in mgs2 not at first because he grew on me, but kojima will learn from his mistakes and probally wont put raiden in mgs3 becuse the fans will be alot happier with snake.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

not yet....

i would'nt mind raiden being in mgs3, i liked him in mgs2 not at first because he grew on me, but kojima will learn from his mistakes and probally wont put raiden in mgs3 becuse the fans will be alot happier with snake.

It comes out in March over here found it out. I also have yet to get over my Snake deprivation.

Vicious
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:18 PM
I think that it would be wiser to make MGS3 on the Playstation 3 because then it would be more of a surprise in the graphical leap, like the Playstation to the PS2.:disturb:

MakgSnake
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Vicious

I think that it would be wiser to make MGS3 on the Playstation 3 because then it would be more of a surprise in the graphical leap, like the Playstation to the PS2.:disturb:
I dont know, graphics is the last thing I want to think about....... I know Kojima wants a big LEAP over that, but I am sure most fans dont care. I can wait till 2004 Nov or something, But I seriously cannot wait till Summer 2006 or something like that.

I am pretty sure no one can....... ........ :laugh:

Beretta55
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:34 PM

I dont know, graphics is the last thing I want to think about....... I know Kojima wants a big LEAP over that, but I am sure most fans dont care. I can wait till 2004 Nov or something, But I seriously cannot wait till Summer 2006 or something like that.

i cant even wait till march for subtance. im such a impatenit person:laugh:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:55 PM

2006?:shock: I'd rather it be released next year and have graphics that are just as good than wait that long and like Frostman, I can't wait til march for Substance either.

MakgSnake
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Same here guys, March seems too far eh..... damn! March would be the Metal Gear Solid month for me. I'll get The Ps2/Xbox/PC versions of the game at the same time! :D

ssjtrunks13
Jan 30th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Same here guys, March seems too far eh..... damn! March would be the Metal Gear Solid month for me. I'll get The Ps2/Xbox/PC versions of the game at the same time! :D

You're really a dedicated fan. I'd only do that after I've established myself in this world of sin.

dan da man
Jan 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM
the graphics of mgs3 are abvoiusly going to be better than mgs2, mgs2 graphics are a couple of years old now, so they got to improve on them.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:58 PM
I know that, I was just saying I'd like the game even if it did have graphics just as good as MGS2, that's all.

dan da man
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:03 PM

I know that, I was just saying I'd like the game even if it did have graphics just as good as MGS2, that's all.

i wanted that aswell, but now i want better graphics in mgs3, better then any before, even though mgs2 graphics were nearly as good as they get.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:22 PM
Nearly? Well they were better than anything I have seen in RPGs.

dan da man
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:31 PM
yes and some rpg graphics are good, i still think mgs2 has the best graphics of any game on any console.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 31st, 2003, 06:16 PM
I guess that's what MGS has always been about.

dan da man
Feb 1st, 2003, 09:27 AM

I guess that's what MGS has always been about.

no not all, its obvious what metal gear is all about, its in the name.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 1st, 2003, 05:54 PM
I know, I hadn't played any of them other than MGS2 and I wasn't thinking a lot about it. Anyway, I can't wait to find out more about the sequel.

rpgKing
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

yes and some rpg graphics are good, i still think mgs2 has the best graphics of any game on any console.

Ya I agree. Its probably one of the funest ones to. Part three should be a great game compared to the past ones. Even though the other ones are still super cool.

Esjay
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:56 PM
What Kojima said in that review kind of pissed me off...he's like;

"Well, I hate it when companies release sequels because of their series' popularity, but hell, I guess I'll do it anyway!"

If he really hates doing that, then why is he making another sequel? Moreover, why the **** did he allow Substance to go into production? I mean it's a good game, but it's mostly selling on fan fuel, and not much else.

But anyway, I'm already excited for MGS3, but it's not going to be coming out for a long time, so I'm just going to put it out of my mind for awhile, no use in waiting for something that won't be around for 5+ years.