PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Game Console Revealed

dan da man
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:51 PM
NO I AM NOT JOKING EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this sweet looking console is coming to challange the big boys! ps2, gamecube and xbox! and it say its going to out perfrom them too! this is going to be a killer console!!!!

heres (http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=4590) the link, enjoy!:)

what do u think?

Vicious_2003
Jan 20th, 2003, 05:36 PM
I think the systems design is rather outdated and looks stupid. Other than that all I have to say is how much will all these features (And the system ofcourse) Cost me ?. Also it seems kind of odd that this company pops up claiming to be coming out with a superior console lke this. Seems kinda fishy to me. And if you go to infiniumlabs.com. Youll notice that thiers no talk about any of thier other products or acheivements. And they dont speak of any other companys theyve worked with by name. If thier in Global entertainment then why is the phantom all that thier site has to talk about ?. Sounds like a ruse to me. Also I searched on 3 different prominant search engines for this so called Infiniumlabs company and I found nothing even remotely related.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:56 PM
I don't think this console will suceed very well, mainly because of one point.This company does not have the amount of funds nintendo, sony , and ms have.Plus there is no promised developer support.Its probably a good idea but releasing something like that in that specific time is senseless.

Vicious_2003
Jan 20th, 2003, 09:15 PM
(Not trying to sound offensive or anything) How exactly did you find out what kind of money this "so called company" has at thier disposal . I imagine, if the press release is for real then the company exec's wouldnt be dumb enough to go into the gaming market underfunded . You dont get into that powerful of a position with out atleast some knowledge of bussinus and finances. Granted if they didnt meet thier sales goals, funding could then become an issue, but then their real problem would be that they werent selling well, not that they were running low on cash

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_XZ84

(Not trying to sound offensive or anything) How exactly did you find out what kind of money this "so called company" has at thier disposal . I imagine, if the press release is for real then the company exec's wouldnt be dumb enough to go into the gaming market underfunded . You dont get into that powerful of a position with out atleast some knowledge of bussinus and finances. Granted if they didnt meet thier sales goals, funding could then become an issue, but then their real problem would be that they werent selling well, not that they were running low on cash

I doubt this company has even half the fund sony, ms, and nintendo do.Thats why i say its senseless to try competing with them.

Vicious_2003
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:28 PM
(again not trying to sound offensive here Snake, you may veery well be right) But Its not always whoever has the most money wins. Its more what you do wit it than how much you have. But yes its a safe bet that this so called Infinium labs or whatever (If its even a real "Lucrative" company) doesent have the kind of money that say Microsoft does, but then again who does. I read some financial reports in a magazine a while back and it seems that Microsoft is worth more than Sony and Nintendo combined yet clearly they sales numbers dont reflect that. Money isnt everything my friend. As long as theyve got the money to launch the system with plenty of units, sign a good number of developers(They claim they will offer "Thousands of games" yeah right) , and Put together a descent advertising campaign they have a chance at surviving in the gaming industry even against the big boys that they claim they will beat (Another yeah right) . But again ill say I believe this to be a ruse (Means a lie/rumor) . The puzzle on this "Phantom" doesn't seem to go together right. I think this is some guy whos good at making websites who decided to pull a fast one on the gaming community. I dont buy it, but it does grab my interest, I look forward to further developments

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:37 PM

Its not always whoever has the most money wins. Its more what you do wit it than how much you have. But yes its a safe bet that this so called Infinium labs or whatever (If its even a real "Lucrative" company) doesent have the kind of money that say microsoft does, but then again who does. I read some financial reports in a magazine a while back and it seems that microsoft is worth more than sony and nintendo combined yet clearly they sales numbers dont reflect that. Money isnt everything my friend

Ok so maybe its not money.But the console needs to make money.Are they going to do it on the hardware alone?No.They need software or they will be at a loss for every console they sell.Are the developers going to jump ship on the xbox,gc,and ps2 for this new console just because it is more powerful?No.The xbox,ps2, and gc have established themselves and are making good amounts off the software and when this new console hits its not going to do much, alot like the atari jaguar.

Vicious_2003
Jan 20th, 2003, 10:41 PM
You make a good point and as I said you may very well be right, I guess only time will tell. Although if they plan on making thier system as common in americas homes as the VCR than they are going to have to price this thing low enough so that 70 % of americans can afford it. I dont think they would have the funds to do that. (Ive allready offered my opinion, no sence in repeating myself eh ? . Maybe I should just shut up and let some other people comment now :laugh:

DragonSphere
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:29 AM
Somehow, this doesn't look nor sound appealing at all (at least to me). Unless the console will actually have some "stable" information on the kind of games the system will provide, then Infinium will not get any money from my pocket.

MakgSnake
Jan 21st, 2003, 12:09 PM
Why are they releasing the system so freaking late, by the time it hits the shelves, it'll be 2004 (I mean they say it'll release 2003 Xmas, but they always pospond these huge products). I mean........ofcourse it'll be the fastest and all, the amount of time they have taken to make this..... but it'll have a short life-span. As when it'll be doing its 2nd year in the market (The year, when the "REAL" good games comes out on a NEW SYSTEM). People would be looking forward to Ps3 and NextBox and hopefully another Nintendo console. So what the hell....... these guys sound stupid to me, just my opinion.

But then again, it all comes down to games.... if they have some sweet ass wicked games........, even 3 or 5 of them. I just might buy this system. ........... And it doesn't matter if its more powerful, it should have similar price like $298 (Canadian) just like Xbox or Ps2 (Or even lower, as this price will go down). So what is this Phantom is going to do, sell itself in Loss..??..... Cause not many people would buy a $400 more expensive console, especially the one that doesn't have a GAMING BackGround at all.

But whats Cross-Platform, is it playing other consoles games on it??

dan da man
Jan 21st, 2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

But whats Cross-Platform, is it playing other consoles games on it??

im not sure the console has just been told to the public, and yes they have released too late. by the times that it is out only a couple of years along till ps3 and nextbox come along and crush it, to be honest i will laugh at them.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 21st, 2003, 03:46 PM
So, Where do the games go? or is it all done electronically. I wonder how much this thing is going to cost because if it's going to be as common as a VCR it'll have to be comparatively low.

Vicious
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:14 AM
I think it would look kinda cool if they put some lights along the sides or something so that u could tell if it is turned on or not. The controller looks a little akward though.

Vicious_2003
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:57 AM
The following I read on Epigamer.com , Just thought Id share it with yall

One of the most bizzare press releases to come in recently is one from unknown company 'The Infinium Labs'. By unkown we mean that at the point of the press release coming through they were not a registerred company and didn't have a website. Still hasn't stopped them from proclaiming

"Infinium Labs Corporation has emerged in 2003 as a leader in the converging Internet, digital entertainment and consumer electronics markets."

Not bad work, considering it's still the first weeks of 2003. Anyway this is too amusing to dismiss as a hoax quite yet.

The press release announces the Phantom console, "unique design architecture allows for delivery of a large number of games and the ability to participate in online massive multiplayer gaming. "

It also claims to be the "Fastest console on the market", and have "Cross Platform capabilities"

Infinium Labs has engineered its prototypes and expects to unveil the new gaming console in March of 2003. The company intends to launch the game console to the U.S. consumer market by November 2003.

Yes, facinating, we shall see whether this really is nothing more than a phantom.

mark0™
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:26 AM
Cross Platform?? Why would SONY, Nintendo or even Sega let a console use their software? I assume they would need permission, so I doubt they can do that (Because do you think that SONY, Nintendo and Sega would even gain something from that?)

I think It really is a phantom. No way can a company call itself a leader after one month of the company being created. Let alone magically come up with all the money and technology needed to create the "fastest console on the market" by November :disturb:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:20 PM
I guess we'll just have to see when it's released to the general public.

MakgSnake
Jan 24th, 2003, 10:47 PM
I think Phantom would play PC titles, and if any platform games it'll play, it just might be Xbox, as its the closest to the PC. Not too sure. I really doubt the NGC titles would be allowed, same goes for Sony.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:21 PM
If so that means it will still be able to play FFVII and any other playstation games also made for PC.

DSgamer
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:37 PM
dude, that console looks like crap, it looks out-dated and no one's gonna buy it, u'll c what the fuss is all about 3 months or so, when its taken off shelves

ssjtrunks13
Jan 24th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I wasn't saying I'd get it but it would be interesting to know what games are available for it.

MakgSnake
Jan 25th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Like I mentioned above, that even if this console gets atleast 5 exclusive titles (which should be SICK/AMAZING titles), I would get it. But I have to agree, the concept model looks horrible, may be when they show it in March, it'll be a better version or something.

dan da man
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Like I mentioned above, that even if this console gets atleast 5 exclusive titles (which should be SICK/AMAZING titles), I would get it. But I have to agree, the concept model looks horrible, may be when they show it in March, it'll be a better version or something.

yes if it has like 5 exclusive title which are really good, i will probally get it.

Beretta55
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:31 AM
I wont be buying it. even though it will be mighty tempting i have 3 system's in my room right now and i think that's enough. but it could be a hoax i really dont belive anything anymore these day's.

dan da man
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:42 AM
i dont think it is a hoax. that is a stupid idea, but u dont know, but i think they said its in production.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:41 PM
I never said I'd buy it, I just said we'll have to see how popular it's going to be and I do believe there could be a better design than that.

mark0™
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:31 PM
I think someone said that Infinium Labs don't have a website, well guess what... www.infiniumlabs.com

And they describe the Phantom here, I doubt its a hoax now.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 25th, 2003, 09:54 PM
^Someone already gave it(I thought) I will just have to see what games are gonna be on it.

Vicious_2003
Jan 26th, 2003, 03:13 AM
LMAO. It is a haox, youd have to be pretty foolish to belive that its for real .This company pops out of no where and claims to be the leading company in blah blah technology when they've supposedly only been around sence 2002. And then they make alot of next to impossible claims like being cross-platform (Hah) and having over 10,000 pre-loaded games. And where does a company thats only a year old get all this money to launch a console ?. And just because they have a friggin website doesent mean shit any idiot can make a website , granted whoever made that one is clearly pretty good at it .(Maybe he does website design for a living, who knows) Anyways everyhting about this so called company is a joke. They claim to be registered yet they are not a registered company (Wich means they either operate illegally or arent real, you decide). I dont get it, just becasue you see a website you think its for real. Ill go make a website claiming that I have invented a shrink Ray and you guys can all talk about weather or not your going to buy one :laugh: . Well Ill be quiet before I anger anyone...just dont get your hopes up about this phantom (Hmm I wonder why its called a phantom ;) ) . Also you can go to any of the official websites for these expos they link to on thier site and even have a (Doctored) photo of them attending one, you can search on thier sites for ANYTHING in regaurds to infinium labs and youll get nothing. Basically if you look anywhere else on the internet besides Infiniumlabs.com and the occasional video games website that has thier Press-release (Just words, means nothing, proves nothing) youll find NOTHING about thier so called company. So really how CAN you belive this crap ?

ssjtrunks13
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:54 PM
I don't think anyone here is keeping their hopes up on this subject. It would just be nice to see what happens and if they really are making this thing.

Vicious_2003
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:29 PM
And if my some strange twist of fate it ended up being real (Not gonna happen) My last post never happened ;)

ssjtrunks13
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:47 PM
If so, I'll forget you ever said anything!

ssjtrunks13
Jan 26th, 2003, 05:15 PM
I have no idea what you just said there.

mark0™
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:18 PM
hahaha now I dont know what to think. I really dont care how it coms out anyways, if it does come out, I'd wait a few months to see how its progress goes, then consider it.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by goodman

Im sure SSJT will consider buying it, look at all the stuff he just bought, between working and playing games, that little lady is gonna suffer from aafts (attention away from trunks syndrome), trunks!!

I know you edited that and I still don't know what you were getting at. I've only just bought a GBA and then going to get YuGiOh! Dungeon Dice Monsters when it comes out Feb. 20th

Vicious_2003
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Hmmm I ddint really follow that either Trunks, and I dont know weather or not I should be offended by your statement. "Forget I ever said anything"....period , like ever on these boards ?. That would hurt me deeply :mad: , well not really but it wouldnt be very nice of you to say mate :laugh: . Or perhaps you meant it the other way...ahh who cares

ssjtrunks13
Jan 27th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Hmmm I ddint really follow that either Trunks, and I dont know weather or not I should be offended by your statement. "Forget I ever said anything"....period

I was talking about the fact that you had said:
And if my some strange twist of fate it ended up being
real (Not gonna happen) My last post never happened

I was saying okay, I'll forget you said anything about the phantom being a hoax. I was talking about just that and not anything else you have said on the forums. I wasn't saying that to be mean to you in anyway.

Nothing to be upset about, guys. Trunks had mentioned recently about trying to have a relationship with a lady, and i basically was saying what with work and buying an Xbox and other sundries, that she wouldnt be getting much of his time. Im a jokester in my own little obscure methods...

I understand what your saying now. It was the fact that there was a he in your post when it should have said "she"
look at all the stuff he just bought
(that right there)

ssjtrunks13
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:17 PM
I understand it all now, I wouldn't call the stuff I bought a whole lot, but then again it is for me(a PS2 game and a GBA game and a GBA with all the money I got from christmas is mopre than I've ever got at one time.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 27th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Maybe. I just don't see how you could have got the two fo mixed up all those times, maybe it was the lasic?

mark0™
Jan 27th, 2003, 05:00 PM
I thought you were the same Trunks Goodman thought you were... Took me ages to track down the old thread to realise it was someone else... :disturb:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:48 PM
I thought you said you were going to get lasik?

Silent Assassin
Jan 28th, 2003, 07:39 PM
dude if u notice that is computer imaging in tha picture...its like a prototype car...just because that is there..doesnt mean its comming out. peace

ssjtrunks13
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:43 PM
We never said if it was actually coming out as far as I know. We were just saying it would nice to see how it would do if it ever was released.

MakgSnake
Feb 7th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Ok I confirmed from a Mirco Play guy, who said that Phantom is coming out, but it wont be system into which you will pop in disks. You will have to connect the system to the internet and log onto Phantom's server, and then play games ONLINE which would be available on the server. Sounds a difficult job to do.

mark0™
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Could save a lot on money on not buying disks then couldn't we?

But knowing my luck it'll be Broadband exclusive (damn BT)

MakgSnake
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by mark0

Could save a lot on money on not buying disks then couldn't we?

But I am pretty sure the price to go online on their server would be high as well, and we dong know weather it be "GOOD" solid games or just average crappy titles. It still sounds a little wierd.

MakgSnake
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:14 PM

They would already limit themselves considerably making themselves only available online, seeing as 2/3's or more of the gaming market doesnt and wont, be playing online, ever...
True, but hardcore online fans would buy it anyway... well many people who were never intrested in Online Play are going towards it.

I never wanted to play games ONLINE on consoles, but after hearing about Resident Evil Online, GT4, and Metal Gear Online. I have changed a little......

So will everybody eventually....... but yeah it'll take time for sure.

Spank-A-Thon
Feb 7th, 2003, 08:03 PM
I've checked out all the info I can find on 'Phantom' and here are my thoughts.

1) They say it will be 'cross-platform'...
On their web-site they state you will be able to play games on-line 'cross platform'. What they mean by this is that you can play say something like a First Person Shooter against PC owners, PS2 owners... whoever... Not that you could stick a PS2 game in it and it would work... That's a pretty misleading notion of 'cross-platform'...

2) They state they already have 35,000+ games available for the system... What games system has that many games available. The PS1/PS2 hasn't... Nor the SNES... But do you know what has? The PC... which leads to my final thought.

3) It's nothing more than a PC in a box. I truly believe it will be similar to the XBox in that it will share common PC components - I also believe it will probably run some form of a Microsoft OS.

Look at the evidence.... Dreamcast owners could play Quake3 against PC owners - there's your cross-platform capability....

35,000+ game - How can a new system have that many games already unless it's tagging onto an existing system? And besides the PC, what else has that many games?

Seriously, this is what I think it is. I hope I'm wrong - but I don't think I will be.

- S

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 08:41 PM
A console when you have to go on online to play, just dosent turn me on at all!
The only reason I would get this console if it has GOOD SOLID TITLES as makg said.

ssjtrunks13
Feb 10th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Now that I know this I will definately not get this. Unless for some odd reason I tap into great wealth.(like that would happen:disturb:)

mark0™
Feb 11th, 2003, 03:03 PM
i agree with spank, sounds like a lil pc with a bunch of emulators on it.

Although i think it will have some legal problems if it tries to use software meant for other consoles. I dunno, don't know much about computers.

MakgSnake
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:06 PM
You guys might wanna check this out. It almost blew me away..... well almost.

Infinium Labs (http://www.phantom.net)

EDIT. I put in the wrong address before...... its corrected now.
They are also looking for 100 people for beta testing. But only from USA and Canada. Sounds intresting.

Infernal Mass
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:40 AM
System Features
- Seemless upgrades and patch management

oh joy! that sounds like so much fun already :sarcasm:

dan da man
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Oh well tuff look for Brits for no beta, I might invest in this machine, but it better not to a gamecube on us releasing hardly any titles for ages. I wonder if it will have good exclusives?

Preventer Wind
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:17 AM
After being met with more than a bit of skepticism following its announcement, Infinium Labs' console, the Phantom, has finally been unveiled by the company. Below a list of the console's features as announced by Infinium Labs.

Standard Features:

Fits in any 19" entertainment center
Custom OS on Windows XPe kernel
Up to 3.0 GHz processor with 256MB DDR RAM
High-performance nVidia video card
High-performance Intel motherboard
Dolby DigitalTM 7.1 Surround Sound
100+ Gigabyte internal storage device
On-board RF wireless modules
S-Video, RCA or component video and PAL
10/100 baseT Ethernet
1 wireless controller
Wireless keyboard and mouse
2 USB ports
4 controller ports
12" Port Extension Cable

Optional Components:

Controllers, wireless and corded
Keyboard and mouse with charging base station
Storage expansion for additional game storage
DSL modem
Cable modem
Wireless WIFI card
Memory upgrades
Speaker sets
Flat screen displays

You may note that something is missing: a disc drive or any other means of inserting game data into the console. The Phantom will supposedly be able to download all the necessary information to play games off the internet, demanding that users have a high-speed connection before playing anything on the console. Narrowband users as well as the elusive net-less gamer are out of the picture.

Infinium also continues to mention its long list of software support from several big-name companies, although exactly who these companies are and what games are in development is evidently still deemed highly classified. More information as well as a completely uninformative movie are available at the Phantom (www.phantom.net) website.

that bad site that if you type it out it gets censored :disgust:

Just figured you people would want to know. There's more at their website but you have to download everything and I wasn't up to that :laugh:

goodman
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Nope, not even worth mentioning it, PW!! :laugh:

Chara
Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:00 PM
Its nothing but a PC.

dan da man
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Chara

Its nothing but a PC.

Yes, it even play PC games.

Chara
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:42 PM
After reading the latest Penny Arcade post this thing may be fake. At the pre-registration page, the submit button really has no function. Just look at the code:

<input type="image" src="images/btn_submit.gif" width="69" height="27" alt="Submit" onClick="submit()">

Its not really submitting to anything. :-/ Unless I'm a dumbass and it is. I havent used HTML in a while.

Lets quote penny arcade here:

An interesting mail from Josh Parker, Private Eye:

In my amazing boredom, I researched the status of these trademarks on , but could find no record of either being trademarked. I tried various search methods, never did I see the slogan or the name Phantom trademarked by Infium Labs.

Uh, yeah. Might want to get one of them trademark things.

Steve from HardOCP dropped the following science on me yesterday:

We had a reader go by Infinium Labs and take pictures of their "facility" ( that's when we found out it was a strip mall in the Florida Keys ) only to find out it was a single desk in a 100 x 100ft room with two phones and no furniture. That was about 4 months ago.

I talked to the Tim Roberts guy on the phone when he returned my call ( 22 days after I left a message ) and when I asked him about all this...he HUNG UP ON ME. I asked him if he was looking for investors, he said "We are actively recruiting investors". I asked him if they had any consoles on hand, he said "We have several hundred prototype models here in the office". So then I asked him where the prototypes were made, he said "right here in our facility". Then I told him I had seen his 100ft x 100ft office space conveinently located next to Missing Link Art Gallery in the strip mall ( located at 5380 Gulf of Mexico Dr. Longboat Key, Fl 34228 ) and he went NUTS!!! "WHO THE FUCK IS THIS!?!?! BLAH BLAH I'LL SUE YOU".

Infernal Mass
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:36 PM
:laugh: lmao!

Vicious_2003
Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:54 PM
Did I mention that i feel like a complete Jack Ass for doubting this systems existence in a few replys back. :disturb:

Infernal Mass
Sep 18th, 2003, 02:08 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEy