PDA

View Full Version : What was your first RPG?

tha16thletter
Jan 16th, 2003, 12:53 PM
I was reading the thread about how many RPG's do you own and it made me think... what was the first RPG I ever played? I guess if you count action-rpg's, it would be a Link to the Past. I was only 5 or so, didn't really understand it but I remember playing a lot with my uncle. Never beat it, but that was my first taste...

If you dont count that as one, then we can move onto Shining Force. I looooove this game, got it on Emulator right now as we speak. I had the absolute best idea for a console ever, the Sega Channel, because my mom works for TWC and got it for free, and it opened my eyes to the wonderful world or RPGs. Never beat it, but I am at the last boss right now, just gotta get the ballz to finish it off...

If you dont count THAT game, my first traditional RPG was PSIV, also one I played on the Sega Channel. This just sent my love for RPGs moving rapidly, til it all culminated with my first actually role playing purchace, FFVII. Havent stopped playing them since :)

So now that you all know my story, tell me yours, the question is: What was your first RPG? oh and please, do ellaborate to keep me entertained ;)
[]D

ssjtrunks13
Jan 16th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by tha16thletter

I was reading the thread about how many RPG's do you own and it made me think... what was the first RPG I ever played? I guess if you count action-rpg's, it would be a Link to the Past. I was only 5 or so, didn't really understand it but I remember playing a lot with my uncle. Never beat it, but that was my first taste...

I count Link to the Past as one as that was the first one I played and beat. Here's a funny story:

Fist time I played LTTP I had rented it. Then I think the summer of the year after that I had wnet to the b-day party of someone I knew and my mom had got a couples of games for his SNES and they were LTTP and some stupid simpson's game. I was jealous. Then years later when i and my brother had our b-day our mom had us a collective present. We had told her we wanted LTTP but she had got the NES Zelda I was really upset, the worst part was it wouldn't even save. SO, about a year or two later I had finally got LTTP along with the guide a few months later. And that was my long journey in getting LTTP.(this happened a long time ago so I might have forgotten the exact details)

Sword 4 Hire
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:09 PM
The first rpg I played was VII

tha16thletter
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:16 PM
haha.. I'm guessin that she got it on accident? That's a shame :p Atleast you got to experience it eventually ya kno? Great game, I need to find it again so I can finish it... funny how all of my first RPG's I never finished, must have been my simple mind
[]D

ssjtrunks13
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Yes she thought we wanted the NES one. Oh, I forgot to mention I wasn't able to finish the original NES Zelda until about a year ago when I could play without having to shut off the system.

You didn't finish it? It turns out great, if you have a GBA you can get it for that system instead of the original SNES.

Plug 4
Jan 16th, 2003, 05:53 PM
i have to say secret of mana and link to the past but
FFVII was really the first rpg that made me realize how good it is to play a rpg

DragonSphere
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:23 PM
I think it was FFIV (FFII in english) that got me into the RPG genre.

DSgamer
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:23 PM
dude, i did this same thread a while ago

http://www.ps2fantasy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3640&highlight=first+rpg

ssjtrunks13
Jan 16th, 2003, 06:41 PM
DOn't mean to be rude it says the first RPG that got you hooked, which may not be someone's first ever!

tha16thletter
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:40 PM
I havent been here that long ;) and SS does make a valid point, A Link to the Past wasnt the RPG that got me totally hooked and buying them, although it was my first RPG... so yea, just chill and enjoy ya kno :phew:
[]D

Nelo Angelo
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:44 PM
I think mines was either FFI, Super Mario: Legend of the Seven Stars, or FFIII.

tha16thletter
Jan 16th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Its funny how you can pretty much instantly tell who the older people on the boards are ;)
[]D

Plug 4
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:01 PM

Its funny how you can pretty much instantly tell who the older people on the boards are ;)
[]D

haha true...i think that way too

Nelo Angelo
Jan 16th, 2003, 11:04 PM

[]D

So...........14 is an old age? ;)

tha16thletter
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:09 AM
*whipes the salt off* well.... my theory got shot out the damn sky :laugh: So much for my assuming skills....

Um.... yea. My current RPG right now is Suikoden III, shame I haven't beaten that yet.. I havent been playin many RPG's at all, or any game for that matter lately... I'm finally getting a life... *sighs*
[]D

DSgamer
Jan 17th, 2003, 01:37 AM
sorry if I was rude.
btw, I just realised that pokemon blue wasn't my first rpg, it was actually mario rpg

IcyMourdor
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:40 AM
First RPG huh?

Way back when, before gaming industries began thinking 16-bit. Enix created probably one of the most popular series around. Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior in the US) was created. The first DQ game came to me about the same time I go FF1, but just a little before. I was only 5 years old.

Twelve years later, i'm still playing game after game in these series and I'm still loving it.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 17th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Ever since it came out I have always wanted to get Mario: Legend of the 7 Stars. Unfortunately, I still don't have a life.

mark0™
Jan 17th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Mines was some weird Medievel Game for the Sega Mega-Drive which was given to me by some guy my dad knew. I had no friggen Idea what was going on (I was young though) and I think I just ditched it. But the first RPG I played, enjoyed and understood was FFVII, even though I never completed it (But iv'e rumaged it bag from the dead and am gonna complete it soon :) )

Beretta55
Jan 17th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Mine was final fantasy 7. i wasnt a huge rpg back in the day but FF7 is the reason why i play rpg's now.

David
Jan 17th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By gamer

btw, I just realised that pokemon blue wasn't my first rpg, it was actually mario rpg

Holy cow, how could I forget that game?! That was my first RPG that I ever played, not FF7, it was Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars/ for SNES.

0===(===================>

To be forgotten is worse than death...

DSgamer
Jan 18th, 2003, 12:16 AM
awesome dude, awesome

ssjtrunks13
Jan 18th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Why haven't I played it yet?

Soul Angel
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:31 AM
From the top of my head I believe my first RPG was probably FFVII, which didn't only get me into playing more rpgs but it also got me into playing more videogames.

David
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted By ssjtrunks13

Why haven't I played it yet?

LOL, you'll need the game first to play it. But I think that there's no more being made or sold anymore, who know's I maybe wrong.

Vicious
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:49 AM
The first RPG that i bought was Kingdom Hearts last year. I had known about the FF series for a while, but didnt know how good they were till i came to this forum. Know Im playing Final Fantasy VII, and I'm getting FFX and FFX-2 for my Bday on June 21.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Will FFX-2 be released over here by then?

kupoartist
Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM
Albion was probably my first, and the first to get me liking RPGs. The first RPG that was actually good was System Shock 2.

Seraph Sephiroth
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Hmm.. the first rpg I played was either.. The Legend of Zelda.. or FFI... I cant remember! so long agooooo! :'(

ssjtrunks13
Jan 25th, 2003, 06:56 PM
The first Zelda made for NES?

PS2Girl
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Zelda...for The NES...;)

ssjtrunks13
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:48 PM
It's good to see all these Zelda fans here.