PDA

View Full Version : xbox dominating

dan da man
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:00 AM
i own a xbox along with a ps2, but ive been searching alot on the web recently to find out alot about gaming news,
And xbox is dominating everything, so gates make its sucess

i found out the sad news today the metal gear solid 3 is going to be out on the xbox for a while, they even tried to make gs3 exclusive for xbox but the sale fell through, thank god:phew:
so xbox have got the metal gear series, but not exclusive YET!

and now i heard news that xbox are wanting to buy capcom, why? so they can have resi on xbox and many other tiles like devil may cry etc, this would be taking gamcubes and ps2 exclusive titles away.

there just dominating the whole video games! i heard if microsoft xbox can keep dominating like this, playstation 2 or nintendo gamecube wont make it and be killed off:(
this is great news if your a xbox fan, but im a fan of all three consoles!

but at the moment i am highly dissapointed with xbox buying metal gear solid 3 so they can have it first and other platforms will have it later! i wanted this game for playstation 2 well it will be coming for it! and maybe gamcube!
BUT metal gear solid 3 will becoming on the xbox so every one will get it because the series is such class, no one will want to get it for ps2, because whats the point if u already have it on xbox, so this means xbox have done the trick agian,

they are also getting grand theft auto series, i know they are getting gta 3 for sure! this means ps2 great title gta is being taken away!

so after a couple years u will see a commercial saying sell your playstation and your gamecube because every game is coming to xbox because we like to dominate everyone so our product is a sucess.<<<< my imagination
well in video games and business that is your aim sucess,

please have your say if u think xbox is dominating or not, and comment if im wrong or not.

KraftSLU
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:19 AM
As much as MS would love to see XBox be the only console contender, it's never going to happen. MS was lucky enough to catch the OS market at the right time and monopolize there, but the video game industry is a completely different story. It doesn't take much to design a console anymore and there are tons and tons of able game companies that have been putting out great games for all three systems right now. MS won't buy them all and because of that there will be other contenders.

Vicious
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:20 AM
All this news just keeps adding to the fact that Gates is trying to monopolize the video game industry like he has in the computer industry by buying out the competition. Bill is so greedy, doesn't he have enough billions already.

dan da man
Jan 14th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Liquid Knight

All this news just keeps adding to the fact that Gates is trying to monopolize the video game industry like he has in the computer industry by buying out the competition. Bill is so greedy, doesn't he have enough billions already.

yes but he wants every thing to be a sucess and eliminate the competition.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:03 PM
I see a lot of things wrong with this. If they take over the gaming indutry that means a lot of true game fans will be forced to use a controller that is too big for younger people, at least I think it is(i even have a hard time holding it! and What about the SOny's Greatest hits titles would they go away too?

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Logical thought time:

Capcom
M$ cannot make the Res Evil series exclusive to XBox - it's already exclusive to GameCube in a legally binding contract so that's nonsense. Anyway, the Res Evil series isn't really 'exclusive' anyway - 1, 2, 3 and CV are available on other formats.

MGS3
Whether or not MGS3 comes out on XBox first is irrelevant - if PS2 owners are told it's coming out on PS2 then they will wait. They're not suddenly gonna rush out and buy a Box to play a game which they can't get for a month or two. That will simply not happen.

However, those who own a Box and PS2, may end up buying the XBox version...

But I do not believe that MGS3 will be a 'system seller'. By the time it comes out, all the consoles will have been through their phase where certain games could affect the success. Look at MGS1 on the PSX - that was not a 'system-seller'. By the time it came out, most of the PSX's were sold - it may have helped to sell a few more, but certainly not enough to 'make or break' PSX. MGS3 will be the same - it will be coming out far too late in each consoles lifespan.

The 'Death' of PS2
Does anybody realise that over 30 million PS2s have been sold? The PS2 is not going to suddenly 'die'. Any company that ignores a potential userbase of over 30 million people deserve to go out of business. EA certainly won't (in fact, PS2 is their no.1 priority because of the sheer numbers it's sold). Any multi-format company (Konami, Capcom, etc) which an inch of business sense would not become exclusive to a single console. Certain titles may, but not the company.

Can you imagine the scenes in the Konami boardroom....

Director 1: Fellow Directors, we have been asked to ignore PS2 and concentrate on XBox only.

Director 2: What a great idea! By making a product which we could sell at most 4 million copies of, we will surely make much more money than if we could potentially sell 30 million copies.

Director 3: Agreed. By selling to a much smaller potential market, we're bound to make more money! If a quarter of the XBox owner buy our $10 game, that means we make $10 million dollars!

Director 1: Exactly! Money, money, money...

Tea Lady: **cough** Ahem, excuse me - but if a quarter of PS2 owners bought your $10 game, then you would make $80 million dollars. Or you could sell it half price and still make $40 million!

All Directors: Shush, what do you know! Where's the business sense in that?

PS2 is far too well established to be under any kind of threat from XBox or GameCube. The battle for supremacy is won.

If I was Microsoft I wouldn't be worrying about SONY and trying to win an impossible battle - I'd be worried about Nintendo and be trying to win second place...

- S

ssjtrunks13
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:44 PM
i never really thought about it but your rigth PS2 wouldn't juts die out but it could happen a long time aftre we're dead and ogne.

dan da man
Jan 14th, 2003, 12:48 PM
SPANK why are u dissing every i said, how do u know this stuff your not, the owner of capcom or konami,
and when resi was out on playstation they said it was exclusive until nintendo got it, so how do u know micrsoft wont buy capcom.
mgs3 will be a system seller, thats y xbox was so desprate do get thier hands on it to make it exclusive,
and the ps2 and gamcube getting killed off, u nevr know, well realy im reffering to gamecube not ps2, the futre gaming is going to be online gaming! it is at the present, but the futre is all online gaming! so the cube might get killed off but i doubt it.
And my thread is called xbox dominating and im just sharing my opion on this.
anyone can see that microsoft dominated the software market and so gates will try and dominate the video game market.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

SPANK why are u dissing every i said, 'Dissing what you said??? Allow me to quote your original post: please have your say if u think xbox is dominating or not, and comment if im wrong or not.

You asked for comments, so I gave them. Besides, I never said I was right, and I certainly didn't say you are wrong. I just put my thoughts down.how do u know this stuff your not, the owner of capcom or konami,
and when resi was out on playstation they said it was exclusive until nintendo got it, so how do u know micrsoft wont buy capcom.I don't know what Capcom or Konami will do, I was merely sumising what I think intelligent business practice would be. As for Res Evil, yes it was exclusive on PSX... until the PC got 1 & 2, and Dreamcast got 2, 3 & Code Veronica... so it's never really been exclusive. Resident Evil 0 and 4 are exclusive for GameCube. Res 5 could become exclusive for XBox in the future - but right now M$ can't have any Res titles.mgs3 will be a system seller, thats y xbox was so desprate do get thier hands on it to make it exclusive,I explained why I think MGS3 won't be a system seller for XBox. However, if it came out on PS3, XBox 2 or whatever - that's a totally different thing. Anyway, I was just giving you my comments - like you asked for.and the ps2 and gamcube getting killed off, u nevr know, well realy im reffering to gamecube not ps2, the futre gaming is going to be online gaming! it is at the present, but the futre is all online gaming! so the cube might get killed off but i doubt it.I sincerely don't think on-line gaming is the future. I know I'd rather be in a room with 3 other mates playing a multiplayer game, taking the piss out of each other, seeing each others frustration than playing against some faceless person across the globe. But that's just how I feel - obviously other people may feel different.And my thread is called xbox dominating and im just sharing my opion on this.Yes it is, and yes you are. And your opinion is equally as valid as anyone else's. But if you ask for comments, you can't really say 'stop dissing me' when a) I didn't 'diss' you, and b) you asked for feedback in the first place.

- S

dan da man
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:22 PM
hey lets not argue, im sorry man, thanks for sharing your opion anyway, i just felt hurt at the time, i hope u dont feel offened by me.

XboxKiller
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:37 PM
gta is coming out for the xbox. are you sure

Vic Viper
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:18 PM
can u give me the link where they said xbox is dominating ?:peoples:

The official sony press release (http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/030109e.pdf)
Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 7:58 am CT
Sony Posts Record Console Sales During Holidays
Reported by: David Laprad

Sony Computer Entertainment said Thursday that it had record holiday season sales of its PS2 video game console thanks to an expanded global sales network and popular software titles. The company said it sold 8.5 million PS2 consoles from November to December in the global market - up 24 percent from the same period a year ago. It was the best sales result for the shopping season since the console's launch three years ago. It sold some 4 million consoles in North America - up 42 percent.

Source: Dow Jones Newswires

now tell me whos dominating who !!??:peoples:
another link, on sonys record sales. (http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=192003-75839)

GTA ?? sony still has exclusive rights till 2004..how do u figure that sony will loose GTA seriese.

Vic Viper
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:35 PM
CAPCOM vice president: To independent route steadfastness - the purchase theory by Nintendo Co. denial

(Osaka December 20th Bloomberg) : As for Vice-President flat Osamu Oshima of the game software major CAPCOM " there is no fact which is advancing other companies and story on the 20th, according to the interview of Bloomberg news, concerning merger and cooperation et cetera, and, there is no either that kind of thought ", you expressed, you conveyed the idea of keeping firmly maintaining the independent route.

Same vice president seems that the observation that comes out Nintendo Co. purchases this corporation " with the internal part media,, but very it is been bothered. Targetting Nintendo Co. purchase it has not become. Completely it is the factual non root ", to emphasize, the purchase observation by Nintendo Co. was denied.

Internet news ¢ market * watch £ and the domestic stock market newspaper et cetera of the American CBS announced the CAPCOM purchase observation by Nintendo Co..

Same vice president " is advanced in addition, being domestic, concerning the trend of the Christmas trade war, favorably, there is no problem " it explained. Game software sale of the American market entirely has been restrained, there is also observation, but " (as for the United States) the number, 200 titles at just this time has appeared, it is over-supply state, but this corporation is advanced according to plan ", that.

Stock price of the CAPCOM preceding day ratio 40 Yen (2.42%) cheaply 1815 Yen (in the afternoon o'clock of 2 01 minute presently).

12/20 00:38
Capcom Says It Won't Merge With Video-Game Rivals (Update1)
By Yuka Yamaguchi

Osaka, Dec. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Capcom Co., the maker of the ``Resident Evil'' video game series, doesn't plan to merge with other game developers, Chief Financial Officer Heiji Oshima said, denying reports the company may be bought by Nintendo Co.

CBS reported on its Web site earlier this week that Nintendo, the world's second-biggest video-game maker, may buy Capcom.

``Those reports are totally groundless,'' Oshima said in an interview. ``We have no immediate plans to merge or tie up with other game makers.''

The speculation comes as consolidation grips the $20 billion video-game industry. Square Co. and Enix Corp., the makers of Japan's two most-popular role-playing video games, announced plans to merge last month.

Capcom shares fell 75 yen, or 4.1 percent, to 1,780 yen as of 2:27 p.m. on Japanese exchanges. The shares have declined 49 percent this year.

link (http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=title&T=japan_news_story_kigyo.ht&s=APgKnCiF1g0qDdoNS)
those capcom merger/buy outs are just B.S.

dan da man
Jan 14th, 2003, 05:07 PM
there in no link on xbox dominating, it was my opion and lot of other ppl can see it.

and gta 3 on xbox heres (http://www.***********/game/1090988) the link.
oh yeah guys it wont be till 2004, by then ps2 will have gta5!

KraftSLU
Jan 14th, 2003, 05:17 PM
It still kills me that everyone thinks MS is out to put more consoles on the market than Sony. While this would be great for them, we know and they know that this isn't going to happen. Now what MS is doing is trying to make a name for themselves, be it through software titles, or Live, or all the cool features Xbox has that other game systems don't. They aren't trying to get people to trade in their PS2, but they are trying to get their attention.

The grand scheme of things is leading to MS trying to get people to buy the next system. They want former ps2 owners to go looking for a new system, see the ps3 and xbox2 sitting side by side, and have them at least think about getting the new xbox. Right now there is one huge thing going for xbox, and that is sony is big. For some weird reason, when game companies have gotten really successful they have taken huge dives. Atari? Dived. Sega? Dived. Nintendo? Diving. Who's to say Sony isn't far behind? After all, they are just out to get your money like every other gaming company.

I guess the point is, it is stupid to look at sales this round in system comparisons. Sony is too well established to knock down at this point, so this round of gaming systems is all about building the hype and selling the next system down the line.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 14th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Kraft, you've hit the nail on the head there friend.

That's why I think M$ should be concentrating on trying to establish XBox as the second major console. They have to beat Nintendo so when they next generation of consoles arrive, gamers go into the shop and take both of them into consideration.

This will not happen unless XBox is established as a strong brand.

You also make a good point about Atari, SEGA et al - however there is one difference with SONY. They are an extremely well established Audio Visual brand and have managed to make the name 'PlayStation' synonymous with games consoles, much like they did with the 'Walkman'.

I hear young kids of 5 and 6 saying they want a 'PlayStation' when in actuality they simply mean a games console. That's what XBox has to try and achieve. It's what Nintendo had at one point, but somehow they lost it - but can SONY keep it? Only time will tell...

- S

dan da man
Jan 14th, 2003, 06:01 PM
yes i have noticed that, when i was a kid everyone said nintendos, now every one says playstation which they actually mean game console, that is something quite to achieve, but i think sony have earned it.
lets just w8 and see if sony can keep this.

Master Jester
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
I hope microsoft buy squaresoft, so then i don't have to get a PS2 just so i can buy ffxi and ffxii which both look like awesome games, i havn't heard anything of this happening, and it probably won't, i can always dream though.. :disturb:

dan da man
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Master Jester

I hope microsoft buy squaresoft, so then i don't have to get a PS2 just so i can buy ffxi and ffxii which both look like awesome games, i havn't heard anything of this happening, and it probably won't, i can always dream though.. :disturb:

i dont think that would happen!!!! but u never know bill gates is that gready he will try and get his hands on squaresoft, but at the moment that b*stard is trying to get metal gear solid 3 exclusive to xbox. lets hope not!!!!!!

kupoartist
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
You also make a good point about Atari, SEGA et al - however there is one difference with SONY. They are an extremely well established Audio Visual brand and have managed to make the name 'PlayStation' synonymous with games consoles, much like they did with the 'Walkman'.
This is one thing about the current consoles: They have markets to fall back on. And at the end of the day, Nintendo is the most vulnerable. Why? Because Sony falls back on a massive Audio/Visual market and Microsoft has an almost unvulnerable domination of the Operating System Market. And what does Nintendo have to fall back on? A handheld games console. Of those three things, which is the most likely to get severely undermined by another of the current three entering into the market? Nintendo. Because all 3 companies can make a Handheld easily.

Perhaps that is what Microsoft are indeed doing, with a Handheld supposedly in development alongside the X-Box 2. They'll "kill" Nintendo first, and then take on Sony, and the almost omnipotent Playstation.

... Perhaps we should form technology's equivilant of Greenpeace? just with less breaking into Nuclear Power Stations and writing blindingly obvious statements on the side.

Vicious_2003
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:14 PM
Yep these days companys that are centering only on gaming are on thier way out. Look at sega..it happened to them and I think eventually it will happen to Nintendo, a good thing for X Box and PS2 fans, to have all those great Nintendo titles like the Mario franchise , and Metroid. But I dont know Nintendo has TONS of die hard loyalist fans who would fight to keep it alive

ssjtrunks13
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM

I know I'd rather be in a room with 3 other mates playing a multiplayer game, taking the piss out of each other, seeing each others frustration than playing against some faceless person across the globe. But that's just how I feel - obviously other people may feel different.

I probably would but all I've gotto play multiplayer games with are my brothers adn they don't take defeat very well.

They are an extremely well established Audio Visual brand and have managed to make the name 'PlayStation' synonymous with games consoles, much like they did with the 'Walkman'.

I don't know what kind of people would say they want a Playstation when they say they want a game console. Personally, if I say 'I want a Playstation' I mean playstation, not a XBox or a nintendo.

Silent Assassin
Jan 28th, 2003, 04:49 PM
dude..what have u been smoking
the Xbox is not domintating...its in 2nd..that study was made the other day when they announced about the next gameboy advanced....but they say that the new gameboy advanced which is comming out sometime soon..well they said it was supposed to take second and knock Xbox in 3rd...o well thats what i heard off the news but i dont think the new gameboy will knock it back for long...:peoples:

dan da man
Jan 29th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Silent Assassin

dude..what have u been smoking
the Xbox is not domintating...its in 2nd..that study was made the other day when they announced about the next gameboy advanced....but they say that the new gameboy advanced which is comming out sometime soon..well they said it was supposed to take second and knock Xbox in 3rd...o well thats what i heard off the news but i dont think the new gameboy will knock it back for long...:peoples:

maybe you should do some researh on the internet, i speant alot of time surfing the web and xbox is dominaing and doing very good, so please dont make your stupid comments.

Silent Assassin
Jan 29th, 2003, 04:00 PM
What sites are you reading????...Microsoft.com???..because of course some sites would have that Xbox is leading...or "dominating"..because they are biased or they dont own a PS2...and they go for what ever they have

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 29th, 2003, 04:15 PM

maybe you should do some researh on the internet, i speant alot of time surfing the web and xbox is dominaing and doing very good, so please dont make your stupid comments. From Dictionary.comdom·i·nate
v. dom·i·nat·ed, dom·i·nat·ing, dom·i·nates
v. tr.
To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power: Successful leaders dominate events rather than react to them.
To exert a supreme, guiding influence on or over: Ambition dominated their lives.
To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in: a drug company that dominates the tranquilizer market.
To overlook from a height: a view from the cliffside chalet that dominates the valley.Dan da man, does XBox enjoy a commanding or controlling position the the games console market? No it doesn't. Given that worldwide sales are about 6 million compared to nearly 40 million for PS2 I think it's fairly safe to say XBox is not dominating, according to the dictionary definition of dominating.

Maybe you should make up with Silent Assassin and retract your statement that he made a stupid comment....

- S

Silent Assassin
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:28 AM
THANK YOU SPANK-A-THON!!!...

JC Denton
Feb 1st, 2003, 03:38 PM

i dont think that would happen!!!! but u never know bill gates is that gready he will try and get his hands on squaresoft, but at the moment that b*stard is trying to get metal gear solid 3 exclusive to xbox. lets hope not!!!!!!

i hardly think that is appropriate he maybe throwing his money around but how do you think sony got into the market. He isnt beening greedy he is just trying to get the biggest foothold, he is also not a bastard he is not doing anything that most business men wouldn't. No i dont think he will buy squaresoft partially because of the fact sony would have to be pretty stupid to sell it, sony are also do well enough not to need to sell there shares.

its true microsoft aren't dominating but you need to watch out for somone that desperate to get into the market, and lets face it he has tried very hard to get a hold in the market that is dominated by two extremely well known companies such as sony and nitendo, sony also aren't a push over when it comes to size, sony has though got too larger product mix and seems to have over diversified.

microsoft will be trying to take nitendos place just as sony set to knock out sega, which they did, they also through money around and aquired companies, so you cant call bill gates greedy. And by calling him a bastard it makes you sound ignorant and naive and a little jealous.

im sure you meant it as a joke, but some people dont find certain things funny :laugh:

im not offended, and dont really care but you should be careful what you say.

kupoartist
Feb 1st, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JC Denton
microsoft will be trying to take nitendos place just as sony set to knock out sega,
ooh historical note! I doubt very much that they set out to knock Sega out of the market. If they were wanting to kill anyone, it'd be nintendo, but regardless, companies don't go into buisness by killing off their competitors - that is simply a side effect of attaining the market share that they're after.

JC Denton
Feb 1st, 2003, 03:53 PM
sometimes compaines do set out to destroy competition, its a fact of life. Its is a great way to increase market share. destroying competition can be achieved by undercutting prices or starting rumers i dont mean anything like sabotage,

but when read like taht it is true, i dont mean literally to by them out of take there assets or anything like that, they will try an oust them out of 2nd place as sony did to sega,

kupoartist
Feb 1st, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by JC Denton
they will try an oust them out of 2nd place as sony did to sega,
actually they probably did try to beat Sega down quite a bit, because Sega weren't actually second palce anyway. Neither were Nintendo, but neither side was particuarly out-doing the other back in those days... hell, you could argue that Sega actually went and killed themselves when they released the Sega Saturn...

dan da man
Feb 1st, 2003, 05:22 PM

From Dictionary.comDan da man, does XBox enjoy a commanding or controlling position the the games console market? No it doesn't. Given that worldwide sales are about 6 million compared to nearly 40 million for PS2 I think it's fairly safe to say XBox is not dominating, according to the dictionary definition of dominating.

Maybe you should make up with Silent Assassin and retract your statement that he made a stupid comment....

- S

Well to be honest, get lost, it was my Ipinion.

Spank-A-Thon
Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:12 PM

Well to be honest, get lost, it was my Ipinion. Well, to be honest - no.

If you're going to post something, ask for people's feedback and comments, then you have to expect counter-arguements. If you're not mature enough to accept that perhaps you shouldn't post.

Dan, grow up - there has been a few times in this thread where you have insulted people. Calling people stupid and telling them to get lost simply because they don't agree with you is somewhat childish.

- S

dan da man
Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:23 PM
Ok, i did ask for your feed back and so basically im going to get people saying YES they are dominating and NO, some ppl agree and some ppl dont, and your one of the ppl who dont agree, so im not arguing here, i think they are dominating, you think there not. Thats how forums work, now we can get on about it nicely or dont even talk about it.

It looks like if u dont even like mircosoft thats why your arguing in this thread, i admit i argued, now lets clam down and just talk nicely about xbox dominating and why u think there not. settled?