PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Decision...NEED HELP!

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 29th, 2002, 12:15 AM
OK...I found a Rurouni Kenshin box set, with all the episodes, in 12 DVD's...for $220.00 USD. Is it worth it...? It is my favorite anime ever...but $220.00 is a lot of money...hrmm...what do you guys think?

Mercury Shadow
Dec 29th, 2002, 12:30 AM
You're a sandwhich artist, I thought you were a millionaire!?

Go for it if you have the money to do so. Just think "will i regret this a few months from now?" And what about your car payments?

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 29th, 2002, 12:32 AM
I have the next payment paid for in the bank, and I just got $440.00 for Christmas...so I have the money...but hrm...that's still a lot.

mark0™
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:21 AM
http://www.discountanimedvd.com/dvd_detail.asp?dvdno=1677

16 Disks, All Episodes, The movie and an OVA (whats an OVA?)

all for....

Retail Price: $349
Our Price: $201.99
Special Sale Price: $189.99

That seems quite good, do a good search before buying though, Thats a fair amount of money, you want to find the best deal out there :)

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 29th, 2002, 11:58 AM
WHOA!!!!

That's the same package of Episodes, then it comes with all the OVA's!!! You rule, mark0. Thanks man.

mark0™
Dec 29th, 2002, 01:32 PM
No problem man, To be honest, I found that deal in at most 2 minutes, Whenever yuou buy big, it's important to shop around, so still have a little search even If you want to buy that, you may even get a better deal!

kold
Dec 29th, 2002, 03:59 PM
yes buy it. if its your fav anime then id say its worth. and theres so many eps id doubt u'd get sick of it. i watch a movie a few times a month and if i get sick of it wait a few months and i forget most of the stuff then its almost like new.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 29th, 2002, 10:06 PM
It might be a while before I buy it, but I'm probably going to get it...

Fox
Dec 29th, 2002, 11:29 PM
its a ripoff....as mark0 showed you.

fantasywave
Dec 31st, 2002, 07:00 PM
What the hell??? 220 for eye cookies??? Think twice man, I hope you didn't bought it yet. If I have 220 like you, I would buy a new game console.

Vash
Dec 31st, 2002, 10:33 PM
Woah watch out Suzuki, I found an out of the world deal for Cowboy Bebop box set at that same site and they turned out to be bootlegs. And that site has no returns if you have opened the case.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 1st, 2003, 12:25 AM
Hmm....I see. That "out of the world" deal you speak of was pretty crazy...it was like $40.00 for a set that was wort $300.00+...I always thought it might be fake.

I wish there was a way I could tell if it's bootleg or not. Isn't it illegal to sell bootlegs online though?

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 1st, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by fantasywave

What the hell??? 220 for eye cookies??? Think twice man, I hope you didn't bought it yet. If I have 220 like you, I would buy a new game console.

...wouldn't a new video game console be "eye cookies" also?

fantasywave
Jan 1st, 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy

...wouldn't a new video game console be "eye cookies" also?

No, a video game console is for fun. :frust: :mad: :mad: :mad:

and you don't just watch in a game console, you also talk, control, and think!!!! You are not a true gamer!!!

Fox
Jan 1st, 2003, 01:13 PM

and you don't just watch in a game console, you also talk, control, and think!!!! You are not a true gamer!!!

that depends on what you do with anime...
talk:DAMN TAPE!!! REWIND!!!!

Control:Slamming your DVD player

think:Why don't this damn thing work?

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 1st, 2003, 03:55 PM

And you are not a true fan of anime! Anime is for fun, too...why else would you watch it?

I game all the time, I was just making a point. You still watch cutscenes and look at the screen while you press buttons. But, on some anime's, you get just as involved with their story as you do with the action in a game.

kold
Jan 1st, 2003, 04:09 PM
a few of us might get activity outta anime *cough*hentai*cough*

Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy
I wish there was a way I could tell if it's bootleg or not. Isn't it illegal to sell bootlegs online though?
so do i, i usually ask around and see if someone else has bought it/bought from the site etc. and yes of course its illegal to sell bootleg copies online its illegal to see bootleg copies period.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 1st, 2003, 05:20 PM
So...why haven't they been caught? If they fooled me into buying a bootleg copy of that set I'd inform the producers of Cowboy Bebop of this...and get their cheap asses put out of business.

kold
Jan 1st, 2003, 07:44 PM
do it then. they will get in deepshit for it.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 1st, 2003, 07:51 PM
I didn't buy the Cowboy Bebop box set though...so I don't have a real reason to do it.

Vash
Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:14 AM
Yea I was really close to buying that box set untill I ran across www.futureblues.com and it said somewhere in there that the 3 disc set was a bootleg.

Does the anime you are buying have Enligh and Chinese subtitles? That is one good hint that they are bootlegged because they normally don't make Chinese and English subtitles in the same disc but the bootlegs are usually made in China so it has China subtitles.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:59 AM
Yea, it has English and Chinese subtitles...damnit. Looks like I'll have to buy the $220.00 one...:frust:

mark0™
Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:37 PM
oops didnt know that they could be knock offs :( thanks for telling him though you guys :)

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:48 PM
What I should do is buy them, then tell the makers of Rurouni Kenshin (some weird name...I forgot) and get their asses sued, and get my money back :D

David
Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:40 PM
Hey man, I don't no if an anime can really make you have fun by just watching it, even it's your favotite animated show, but I would go and buy something that you can really entertain yourself, like a new game system, or a game. But, that's what I would do, but it's your money and you do what ever you want with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To be forgotten is worse than death...

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:00 PM
So David, when you watch anime's (or movies) you aren't entertained? You just watch them because you...don't...enjoy them? Sorry if I sound mean but it just confuses me how you people don't see that these things are made for entertainment...

David
Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:43 PM
No, I understand, but if you keep on watchin the same thing over again, don't you get bored of it?

0====(===================>

Seraph Sephiroth
Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:51 PM
You cant get bored of something that you REALLY REALLY like though! I've bought tons of movies of the Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Series, and have watched them time and time again.. and have never gotten bored of them. Its because I'm a major fan of the series. Just as Suzuki may be a major fan of whatever series of anime he watches. Its like watching your FAVORITE movie.. you never everrr get tired of it! Ever had something you liked so much that you've never, not even once felt tired of? ... heh, I have a lot of things like that.

David
Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:30 AM
...sigh, the tides are against me, your right.:D You can never get bored of something that you really enjoy. So go and do it Suzuki_Fanboy! I was wrong, and your right, you to Seraph Sephiroth. I always loved DBZ, but I got angry when they kept replaying the old episodes, but I never got sick of them!XD

0====(===================>

Frozen
Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:46 AM
All I can say is that it's a WHOLE F*CKING SERIES and it's not like he's gonna watch it all over in one night, but at least in a week, I think.

I say go for it, dude, I would certainly pay 220 for the whole series on DVD. I just got some other, more important expenses right now, but I'll certainly check it out later on.

EDIT: Plus is Rurouni Kenshin what we're talking about :B

fantasywave
Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:07 AM
I rather throw 220 bucks to the ocean than buy those anima or animate or whatever it's called.

Frozen
Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:59 AM

I rather throw 220 bucks to the ocean than buy those anima or animate or whatever it's called.

That does not seem to be in topic at all. I call this spamming. (and one of the most stupid ways to spam, mind you)

David
Jan 3rd, 2003, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By Frozen

All I can say is that it's a WHOLE F*CKING SERIES and it's not like he's gonna watch it all over in one night, but at least in a week, I think.

I say go for it, dude, I would certainly pay 220 for the whole series on DVD. I just got some other, more important expenses right now, but I'll certainly check it out later on.

Hey, are you saying that to me? If you are, I know it won't take a whole day to watch the whole series, I just told him go and do it, because I thought about it, and I probally do the same thing what he's doing now.

0===(====================>

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:06 PM

No offense, but why are you in an anime forum if you hate anime?

Frozen
Jan 4th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by David

Hey, are you saying that to me? If you are, I know it won't take a whole day to watch the whole series, I just told him go and do it, because I thought about it, and I probally do the same thing what he's doing now.

0===(====================>

Yeah, that was for you, but don't let the way I said it mean offense to you or anything... just the way I express myself :evil:

Certainly, watching something again and again and again and again gets old, but being this a whole anime series, and a long one, it will probably take years to get tired of it for "excessive watching", specially if you like it a lot.

merylsilverburg
Jan 4th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Ah Suzuki, if RK is really your favorite series, I'd say just go for it and buy it. Just know that not all the episodes are wonderful though....but, despite that, if you really love Kenshin, then those blah episodes wouldn't be a problem at all! :D

And yes, if the DVD has Chinese and English subtitles, they are bootlegs. Most of them are made in Hong Kong, not China.

Other ways to tell if it's bootleg:

1) Tri-fold packaging. If there are like....50 episodes and are all packed into 3 discs in a tri-fold packaging...that's a sure sign it's a bootleg.

2) Chinese/English subtitles

3) The company's logo printed on the cover. Some include: Manga (big green "M") or International Anime (big red "A"). Usually found on the corners of the packaging.

4) If the store has animes that are still shown in Japan, such as Samurai Deeper Kyo, HeatGuy-J, etc. that's a most definite sign of bootleg.

Ahh...that's about it. It's not so bad to get bootlegs....it's a great way to get recent animes that you can understand. I know that it's bad for the Japanese companies, but what can help is if you can get the bootlegs but also the real thing. Like the raw Japanese DVDs.

I do agree that if you really enjoy something, you can't get tired of it. But, in a way, that doesn't really work either. I LOVE Fruits Basket and have been into it for about.....7 months starting April 2002. But, after a while, I started to lose interest in it. Until they make new episodes, then my craze will subside for now. :D If you can really enjoy something for a loong time, then that item or film really is meant for you. :)

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 4th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Meh...it seems even the box set that I found for $220.00 is a bootleg also. If you want to see it go here (http://www.animers.com/rurounikenshin.html).

Well...meryl, do you know any websites that sell the box set you have? I don't want to pay $200.00+ for some bootlegs.

merylsilverburg
Jan 7th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Ah well, Suzuki, I'm sorry to say this but those boxsets I have I can't seem to find online. Plus, those are the raw versions, which means there's no subtitles. The woman who got them from me (my mom's friend) said they cost $200 for the first boxset, $300 for the second, and $200 for the last....because they're from Japan and are special editions. I'm sorry....:(

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 7th, 2003, 03:09 PM
WHOA! That's quite pricey...

I remember you saying they were from Japan, but I didn't remember there were no subtitles and that you couldn't find them...lol, well...I'll just start working on Mobile Suit Gundam then :D

mark0™
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:11 PM
If your gonna get bootlegs, at least try to get bootleg prices, $200+ is a rip-off, ask around if someones you know knows someone who copies disks n such, you never know they might be able to get it for you for "bargain prices", you must be quite annoyed at those two sites lol.

p.s. youi should report the sites too, passing off bottlegs as originals is evil.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:30 PM
I might do that...I'm going to see if I can get something out of it though :D

Maybe some small Kenshin memoribilia (sp?) or something...or the box set :D

ssjtrunks13
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:34 AM
I have finally seen some of Kenshin!(I know this has nothing to do with the thread but since Suzuki created this thread and is talking about the boxed set I thought this would be the perfect place for this)

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM
And your thoughts? What episode?

ssjtrunks13
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:25 PM
I saw thwe DVD with the episode titled, A Prelude to Threat Shadow of the Wolf Draws Near! From what I had saw it was really good. Just by seeing that it has made me want to watch every episode.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 12th, 2003, 12:04 AM
I have no clue what episode number that is...if it's past around episode 50, I haven't seen it. I've only seen the first 50...:(

ssjtrunks13
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:46 AM
It was where:
Kenshin has fought Saito and went out to go after Shishio. That was the last i saw.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:53 PM
That's right around the last episode I've seen...well not really. He does that pretty early...wait till Saitoh fights that blind dude. He uses his succession technique, the Zero Gatotsu (sp?) and it's totally awesome. The farthest I got was when this mammoth thing comes and attacks the village Kaoru is at...well it's like the episode before that happens.

David
Jan 13th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By Frozen

Yeah, that was for you, but don't let the way I said it mean offense to you or anything... just the way I express myself

Don't worry, I didn't take it offencive. I wasn't too sure if it was meant for me, so I had to ask if it was especially meant for me or someone else.

0===(========================>