PDA

View Full Version : Was the Story that BAD?.?.?

MakgSnake
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Ok, I love it, and think its beautiful. But recently I have been reading not at just few places over the net and mags, but almost everywhere..............that Sons Of Liberty storyline was lame, boring and a little too over dramatic and all!!! I have been reading this everywhere. So I ask you people, was it really that bad?... What do you think of it?.... Liked it or....didn't....or "DIDn't GET IT!"......

Beretta55
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:00 AM
i havent beaten the game but i have seen it be beat from start to finish. the story line is great it kept me interested. but not the best story line in the world though.

MakgSnake
Dec 25th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Well yeah, many people wouldn't think its the best, I just think the Patriots and everything surrounding them was amazing. It was another level thing. A story line that would be in every single game after 30 years. The story line in my opinion was way way way ahead of its time. I loved IT!!

dan da man
Dec 25th, 2002, 04:12 PM
very good story line the, best ever!!!!!!!!!! how can u say it was bad?
ppl r just jealous!!

Frozen
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:44 AM
I think it was badass. Topics like that are seldom touched by videogames in the way it was done in SOL. Not the best storyline ever, but one of the best for me.

P.S: Makg, be always mindful that this world is full of morons :D

Dr.Doom
Dec 26th, 2002, 10:48 AM
i'm only half way through the game but I must say the STORY rocks.....I love all the twist and turns in the game.....WOW they created a great game!!!:cool:

Daedaelus
Dec 26th, 2002, 11:31 AM
I have to admit, I was a little confused the first time I played the game, but the second time I beat it, and watched all the cut-scenes and movies, I understood everything. In my opinion, it was one of the best stories I've ever seen in a videogame. The first time I didn't understand it was because I didn't bother to watch any movies because I was just too excited to finish the game. :D

P.S. Frozen: good advice :laugh:

Nelo Angelo
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:28 PM
I didn't think the story was bad at all. It was a badass story. :D

MakgSnake
Dec 26th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Frozen

P.S: Makg, be always mindful that this world is full of morons :D
True, but then after reading at EGM and IGN and GameSpot and GamePro and all major mags and sites, saying the story was boring and lame really hurts! :( but then you are so right! :D

mark0™
Dec 27th, 2002, 09:45 PM
I feel the Metal Gear story is getting a little weak :( I mean c'mon, the Title is Metal Gear But the Metal Gear(s) and Arsenal Gear wasnt the main focus of the story, the Patriots were!!! And if MGS3 is continuing on the quest to find the Patriots, where is a Metal Gear gonna step in, I think they should change the name, and allow the tactical Espionage Action to follow some other story plans not involving Metal Gear, after all, We learn in MGS2 that Metal Gear is a world wide weapon and is readily available to forces, It doesnt have that certain "Mystery" and "Legendary" Image to it anymore :(

Does anyone else here feel that Metal Gear wont be the main Focus of MGS3?

MakgSnake
Dec 27th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by mark0

We learn in MGS2 that Metal Gear is a world wide weapon and is readily available to forces

Does anyone else here feel that Metal Gear wont be the main Focus of MGS3?
Well you see thats the reason, we all know what Metal Gear is actually, each episode expains Metal Gear and its the same thing again and again, which gets repetitive. There has been 5 of them out in the market and all of them had simlar thing about Metal Gear, just extra new features are added with better models and everything.
The story do revolved around Metal Gear, but other things should come in, and stuff like Patriots is one of the best things Ive ever heard!!!.!!!
I would like to know more about Metal Gear RAY and Arsenal Gear first in MGS3, before a NEW metal gear shows up. Knowing more about Metal Gear Ray even in the next chapter would give the series a better sequal in my opinion.

merylsilverburg
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:44 AM
MGS2's storyline is very good, but it wasn't the best, IMO. The storyline also confused me a little and I didn't really understand it until I came here for some answers and played it again. :laugh: Thinking about it though, this storyline kinda reminds me of The Matrix....maybe not totally alike to it, but it does have some similar elements.
I think the main reason why many said the story isn't the best is because of the confusing parts and the attempt to have major plot twists, which were good but didn't end up too well (except the Patriots part). Most percent of people hate things they don't understand. :disturb:
And while Makg said that all the previous games talked about the Metal Gears, so it's getting repetitive, it might not be that way for people who only started playing with MGS and MGS2. That's why I agree spending some time to talk about Metal Gear Ray would've been good, though its purpose is already somewhat stated in the game.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 30th, 2002, 01:03 PM
The story was excellent :D but after playing Shenmue...I can't give it the "one of the best storylines ever" title. Anyways, we all know that Metal Gear Solid's storyline was totally beast, in my like...top 5. [OFF TOPIC] Man, I need to beat that again... [/OFF TOPIC] It's also one of the straight up best games ever...

I liked MGS2's story, but I can see why some people wouldn't. EGM said something like "there are too many twists," then proceeded to give GTA3 higher scores than MGS2 (:frust:) One part that really really pissed me of was: Raiden. Why, oh why, mastar Kojima, could we not be Snake!!! Oh well, still a great game nonetheless...gets a solid 9.8 in my book.

P.S. I liked the way you incorporated the smiley's into the poll :laugh:

dan da man
Dec 30th, 2002, 07:27 PM
why dosent anyone like raiden?

ok i was upset that i was not solid snake, but then i got to like him!

MakgSnake
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:10 PM
I think Raiden is a great character. At first I didn't like him either, but without him there couldn't be Metal Gear Solid 2. He is the part of this Saga, and I hope he keeps returning to the Metal Gear games till he becomes as old as Solid Snake. :)

Edit: Thanks Suzuki. :)

Beretta55
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:13 PM
raiden was cool. he wasnt a solid snake but i wouldnt like another solid snake. i just like rookie's or new people im weird like that:laugh:
i do admit i didnt like raiden just like that. i wanted to play as snake for the whole game but raiden grew on me.

PS2Girl
Jan 9th, 2003, 04:55 PM
the mgs2:SOL storyline was awesome to me and i couldnt stop playing it

ssjtrunks13
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:23 AM
I liked the storyline alot. It was a nice break of how similar the plots in RPGs seem.

Animaman
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:17 PM
I never liked Raiden much either, but he was there 2 show us a side of Snake that we couldn't see playing as him, and for that i don't mind him. :roll:

Gaseous_Baboon
Jan 25th, 2003, 03:22 PM
The story is amazing... The wow factor is off the charts and its just unreasonable to expect better from a video game. I just had one problem... Otacon. Shudder.... why do we need to KNOW that about his mom?! I mean. he would have had a perfectly touching sister moment if he didn't explain stuff after she died. Yuck! Nearing the climax of the game, we really didn't need that.
That is just one part of the story to nitpick at. Like I said, its an amazing story.

dan da man
Jan 25th, 2003, 07:39 PM
well now we know solid snake and octacon propally, thats y i think kojima put that think about his mum. so we could see both of their lives.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Before Gaseous said something I didn't really think about that part as much as now, :disturb:. Well, I think the game was better because of that, it made that part more exciting.

PS2Girl
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:37 AM
at first i thought raiden was kinda gay, but hes pretty cool...
but i loved the storyline!

my opinion:cool:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 26th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by PS2Girl

at first i thought raiden was kinda gay, but hes pretty cool...
but i loved the storyline!

my opinion:cool:

There are some people who could say the same thing. AT first I was disappointed that you went through most of the game with Raiden, but he kinda grows on ya and you start thinking maybe it wouldn't have been all that great if you did play Snake through it all.

mark0™
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Raiden was really whiney (like during the whole C4 defusing mission, "I'm not trained, wah wah wah!")

But he could be as cool as Snake, But I don't think Raiden has a strong a will to fight as Snake does (although he does offer to go with snake to get the patriots in the end) But I don't think Raiden's story will last as long as Snakes, he's really a wuss lol.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:57 PM
He still turned out better than I could have ever imagined.

Gaseous_Baboon
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:18 PM
He looked a little too excited when the President made sure he was a man...

mark0™
Jan 27th, 2003, 09:25 AM
^ hahaha, that bit totally freaked me out, is it a custom to check masculinity by grabbing ones crotch or something?

dan da man
Jan 27th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Gaseous_Baboon

He looked a little too excited when the President made sure he was a man...

lol,
yes i was dissapointed when i wasnt snake, but then raiden grew on me.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 27th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by mark0

^ hahaha, that bit totally freaked me out, is it a custom to check masculinity by grabbing ones crotch or something?

lol! It's not as far as I'm concerned. When that part showed up I was like, at least Kojima and anyone else who made the game feels that it's kinda hard to tell what Raiden's gender is.:laugh:

Vicious
Jan 28th, 2003, 04:37 PM
I didnt understand the story the first time i beat it, but the second or third time i already knew the gameplay mechanics and everything and i understood it alot more. I thought the story was great, but they could have emphasized less on passing on your genes or whatever, i got tired of hearing that quick.

SplinterJD
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:47 AM
The story wasn't that hard to understand I thought it had a better story than MGS1. MGS1 had a more of an emphasis on genes that what MGS2 did and MGS2 has a superior story line and gamplay to most other games on any console in my opinion because it empahises not on content but depth in both story line and gameplay to make it feel as realisitic (although we don't see huge metal gears walking around in real life) as possible in the way the enemy AI reacts and general gameplay and the emotions of people in the story line. ;)

Esjay
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Well, I really did love MGS2's storyline, the characters were pretty cool, and the way it was presented was in the style of MGS1, so I suppose I liked it. Oh yeah, I liked it just fine, up until the

****ing horribly concieved, long winded, boring as **** ending

I mean, come ON, the horrible S3 explanation, and the shit about genes and crap...I mean, in MGS1, at least it was presented in a good fashion, but in MGS2...ugh, first of all, the ending's incredibly horrible legnth, had the ending been GOOD, I wouldn't have minded, but god. And the worst part is, 4/5 of the ending took place on the codec. Needless to say, I was a bit bored. Second, S3, it was originally meant to be understood to be a program to create a Carbon Copy of Solid Snake, which is just fine, this was already a plot twist in itself, but then they took it and called it something ELSE? I mean GOD, leave the twists alone, S3 was just fine being a Solid Snake Simulation, but then it's turned around and we're expected to adapt to yet another ****ing twist? Human Controllment, or something, that's what the S3 "really" was.

Don't get me wrong, MGS2 had a beautiful storyline, but the ending totally ruined it for me.

carnage179
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:51 PM
WARNING SPOILERS

I agree with you about the end. It was stupid and way over the top. I did like the story up till then. I found the idea of some men with alot of power interesting, the patroits reminded me of the men in the X-files. But then when they were saying that this whole thing had been just to train someone, and all that talk about controlling people. I thought it was kind of dumb how everything bad that happened in the world wanst an accident and was caused by them. In MGS3 I would like for them to be less powerfull and just be somepeople in the pentagon, like in MGS1. They were powerful and had designed a metal gear and stuff, and they existed. Also how Cambell was really just a virtual reality program...dont get me started

I have played the orignal Metal Gear games, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX, MGS was a remake/sequel of them because it took ideas and stuff from the first 2. MG2:SS(NOT MGS2) was better than MGS1. After playing that one I realised how much MGS2 sucked, bad characters, levels and music(I found it didnt set the mood like in MGS1). The bosses were stupid, vamp was the worst, didnt fit it and didnt die. I wanted this game to be realistic(yes, I know that Metal Gear is an unrealistic idea, but that was the only thing I wanted to be kinda unrealistic) Solidus Snake was stupid, looked like an idoit in that suit and his motive was the stupidest one I ever heard. Liquids was kinda strange too, but I liked how he was trying to create a army of Gnome soldiers, but how he talks about how he how his genes were telling him to do that was kinda stupid, but it made him sound crazy. Solidus wanted to leave he mark in history cause he cant have kids, plus he wants to get back at the paroits. Fortune was stupid cause she wouldnt die, even without that thing that made bullets fly away. And she had that horrible music and would say things like "Why wont you kill me." Her costume was stupid too. Like anyone in the military would wear a bathing suit with a cape. Fatman fit in the most, I thought his fight was really good, but took too long to happen. You're more than haveway through the game when have your second fight.

Levels sucked, too enclosed. Plus how the sun was out for the plant part just distroyied any bit of mood.

Raiden was a little pansy. Looked liked a girl, pretty much skiped insead of walked. Complaned all the time. The thing with his GF was boring, stupid, long, and obvious. YOU'D HAVE BE AN IDOIT NOT TO KNOW IT THEIR ANIVERSERY. Thats the most played out thing ever. The guy always forgets their anniversary. Plus the stuff about his past was stupid. When solidus says that his killed his parents I didnt care. I learnt that 5 minutes ago, I havent been wondering about that. It's also a rip off of how gray fox/ninja killed Naiome(I cant spell shit) parents. Speaking of Solidus, what a bad death, he fell on a statue.

Thing I didnt like about this one is wasnt really like a military themed game. MGS1 wasnt compleatly like MG2:SS and MG were. The costumes, hair, weapons, etc wernt at all. Like I said befor, if someone was in the military, they wouldnt wear a bathing suit and a cape. Snake and Raidan had cool looking wetsuits. Raidan woundnt be allowed to have hair like that. Not to sure about Snake's mullet, but I dont see why anyone would want one anyway. Also, I doubt anyone in the miltary would use knives as their primary weapon, or that big electric shocker thing. Also, in the tanker when the Russian General grabs the Marine and points a gun at him, Marines are trained in martial arts and one of the first things they learn is how to take down an enime from behind and disarm them. Okay, maybe I'm going a little overboard on my rant with the last statement about the Marines, How else would they take controll of the tanker if they didnt capture the leader.

I thought that how liquid was taking controll of Ocelot's body was weird and over the top. If they wanted to bring liquid back bring him. Who says the heart attack killed him, remeber how strong his body is? It could of just injered him very bad, maybe now he has a pacemaker, but soon he could recover and not need it again.

Also, now that you can aim in first person, I thing you should give the enimes an advantage. I can kill them from almost anywhere in the room if I wanted to. I think that to even it out the enimes should be able to see more than 10 feet in front of them(if you think that is too hard play the orignals where the enimes can see all the way in front of them, well, actually back then they couldnt see to the sides.) Aleast the enimes have very good AI.

The name I did like. Sons of Liberty. Sounds cool, but had a different meaning that what i thought it would. I thought it was called that because the Snakes were created by the government. Not of the terrorist group.

Another thing I hated is how in the comericals and previews and everything, there was alot of lieing in it. They never show Raidan, Snake is in the tanker fighting Forture. In one commerical Snake is fighting the harrier on the brooklen bridge. Also, why did they get rid of the hind d? It's tradition, has been in every metal gear game execpt MGS2. Way to ruin it.

Anyway, that's just my openion.

Oh, whoever said that Metal Gear games revolve around Metal Gear WRONG!

they revolve around Big Boss and Snake

MG: Snake sneaks into outer heaven to find out what metal gear is. Big Boss tries to stop him without getting caught. Snake tries to stop Big Bosses. At the end Snake fights Big Boss

MG2:SS(this one is actually about Snake, Big Boss, Gray Fox, and a few others) Snake sneaks into Zanzabar Land to stop Big Boss from recreating Metal Gear and using it to start a war. Snake learns Gray Fox is there, eventually has to fight him. Snake then fights Big Boss without any weapons.

MGS(this is about Snake, Liquid, Gray Fox all fighting over big bosses remains) Snake is sent it to rescue hostages, and find out if the terrorist can lauch a nuke. This whole thing is over Big Bosses remains that can be used to make a Gnome Army. Metal Gear is only their weapon they use to try and get it.

dan da man
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:10 AM
hhhmmmm, I agree and disagree, who cares it only a frigging video game, Im a huge fan and luved mgs2, but its just your opinion, and the aniversery bit, was over the top, it took over the mgs2 story line.

carnage179
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:11 AM
I dont mean to offend anyone or say that they're wrong about the game. I just didnt like it that much, story was good till the end. But levels and stuff sucked. Thats just my openion.