PDA

View Full Version : Age/Games

MakgSnake
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:09 PM
Ok..a simple question. Do you think games that are rated "E for Everyone"...should be played by only kids (keeping the main cover picture in mind), or can be played by anyone?.

Now I work at BestBuy Video games section, and a Lady came up to me and asked me if I can suggest her a game for her 10 years old son, there was another Co-Worker there as well, ...... my first glance went on "Kingdom Hearts"......so I picked up that game and showed her that game, and I told her that the good thing is that it has more then 100 Disney characters in the game, and its one of the great games. She looked at me and said "Hmm..I dont know, I think at that age kids are out of that Disney thing, I think thats a little too young, he has grown out of that now".....I was a little shocked :shock: . Cause at first, it doesn't matter how OLD you are, a game like Kingdom Hearts will keep you busy for Weeks if not for months.

I told her that its a great game, even I play this game and love it, and then...my Co-Worker started Laughing at me, Literally, and she laughed along as well (Making fun of me). ....... I just told her "Its your choice", and well walked to another customer. But it really pissed me off, just by looking at Cover and hearing the main feature about the game, people make judgements. And that as$ worker....he didn't know sh*t about Kingdom Hearts and passed comments on it.

Neways.......I just though I'd mention it here......that is if you think E for Everyone, is actually for Everyone or....just for kids (By looking at the Cartoony pictures). I think anybody, of any age can enjoy a game, as long as its fun.

Jolie
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:16 PM
To me, games rated for "Everyone" can be played not only by kids. It's a matter of personal taste, so if you like the game, why not? Adding to that, many games of that kind are really good and it would be a shame to not play them only because they're mainly purchased by kids. You could miss a lot of great games basing your choices only on the "Rated for everyone" thing.

MakgSnake
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Jolie

and it would be a shame to not play them only because they're mainly purchased by kids. You could miss a lot of great games basing your choices only on the "Rated for everyone" thing.
Exactly........thats what I think as well. Some people are too stupid, seriously.

Like some people at work.......I was have a conversation with them about consoles, and they all owned an Xbox, and when I told them that I just bought a Game Cube, one of them said "I have to stop talking to you now".....WTF!?.... Fine with me... whatever man.

DragonSphere
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:33 PM
People should never be restricted to what they play according to the rating system. They are merely there to suggest which age group the game might be more preferable to. E for "Everyone" means just that; anyone can pick up and enjoy the game.

Daedaelus
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:11 PM
Ohh... I see, so since Kingdom Hearts is rated E and has over 100 Disney characters, that must mean that any 10 year old can beat it... right... :sarcasm:

I've played Kingdom Hearts, and it was a great game, even though it was "past my age group"

Just because a game is rated E, does not mean that it is a kiddy game. I mean, what makes a game E? The fact that it does not contain expicit violence or sex. What makes a game M? The fact that it has content that is not for everyone or that it is offensive (Conker comes to mind). I hate the people who judge a game because of what the ESRP gave it as a rating. The perfect example is GT series, which was rated E, and people as old as 30 loved it so much that it became one of the greatest selling series on the Playstation/Playstation 2.

These people should learn to appreciate good games regardless of their rating...

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:19 PM
You have some stupid co-workers...geez. What a goon!

Zone
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:10 PM
Ratings on games have nothing to do with what age group will enjoy them more. Ratings are there to suggest what age group should be playing the game because of the content. "T" games are suggested teens and up. "M" games are suggested for 17 and up. "Everyone" means it's suggested for anyone. I'm sure parents don't want their 6 year olds playing bloody, violent games.

Ratings for games are like ratings for movies.

MakgSnake
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Iguana
I've played Kingdom Hearts, and it was a great game, even though it was "past my age group"
Why did you say that?.....I mean are you for real? or just being sarcastic?...

You have some stupid co-workers...geez. What a goon!
Tell me about it, some are cool, but some get on my nerves, especially when they DONT know about the systems and keep passing comments on it.

Frozen
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:47 AM
That shows you how stupid and ignorant people are. It is self-explanatory that a game can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of age, if it is rated for "Everyone" Well, more than that, it just means that it can be played by anyone, not necessarily enjoyed, but then it comes to topic as well how prejudist people can be when they are close-minded.

Vic Viper
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
Hey, Makg give your co-worker a swift kick in the nut for me..:mad: for being an ass.:mad:

ok maybe u should'nt do that..:laugh:

Daedaelus
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Why did you say that?.....I mean are you for real? or just being sarcastic?...

[/color]

Sarcasm.

TtTackler
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:25 AM
I have Kingdom Hearts and I absolutely love it. It never really seems to be "overly kiddish." I also loved the fact that you can go back and say "hey, I remember this character!" And I can't wait until I get to the Nightmare before Christmas world.

Your co-worker is an ass, he shouldn't have been obnoxious and gave his own opinion on the game, I mean, you're trying to sell a product to the lady! :frust:

Beretta55
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:48 PM
i guess your co-worker like's game's like. mario does dallas or lara croft spring break bash:sarcasm: but your friend is a dumbass. just because the game is rated E dosent mean it suck's. and for the xbox fanboy's take a xbox controller and hit them across the head.:laugh: but hey one of my fav game's is mario 64 even though it's rated e i love the game. the rating dosent matter really. it's about the gameplay

MakgSnake
Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
Well yeah, the people who made fun of me about me getting an GameCube work in Returns and Exchange, so that doesn't really bother me, as they dont know jack Sh*t about it, but my co-worker, he works with me in the Video Games section all the time, if hes going to act like that, and sadly many do (They dont even suggest GameCube to the customers), really makes me think, why are they working here and even so, why in the Video Game section. I am glad, I get that section whenever its crowded.

I was just shocked when that Lady told me, that her ten year old son was over Disney characters. (Common lady Even I am not over Disney characters, no one can, they are just too adorable). Infact I was a little not sure if her Ten year old would be able to play that game, as it is a little challanging. Oh well......

But that laughter on me.....that was bad. :mad:

Neways....so its good to hear, that E for everyone doesn't bother any of you. Cause some people irritate me about this, just like once this guy told me that he doesn't like to eat chips as only Kids eat them and thats why he has stopped eating them. WTF? :shock: :disturb:

Beretta55
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Yeah videogame's are my passion. those guy's dont know crap and shouldnt be in that section but what can you do? maybe i should show them resident evil 1,0,eternal darkness,die hard vendetta *which has the F word said many time's* but oh well those guy's dont know crap so i suggest it's best to ignore them.

AudioBoxer
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:19 PM
No I think the ratings should just tell you what to execpt the crap thats in the game! I dont pay attention to the ratings one bit!

Nelo Angelo
Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Don't really care about what the rating of a game is.

What I really care about is the gameplay and controls.

Daedaelus
Dec 23rd, 2002, 06:52 PM
Hey! AudioBoxer, you came back from Japan! When did you get back, and how was your trip?

REChick14
Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:21 PM
Ratings for a game dont really concern me. Even if the rating were an E that doesnt stop me from playing it. If I hear that its a really good game then hey Ill go get it. I own Donald Duck Gone Quackers and its a good game. Its like Crash and it's really fun. I just dont know, some people these days just look at the cover and think they can tell whether its a good game or not.

trunks69420
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:08 AM
I feel you pain Makg. I also work in an electronics store, in the vid. game section and have to deal w/ constantly oblivious consumers/workers!
We are caught up in a world where we have to do what is popular, or what other people say is cool and it makes me sick. I get customers all of the time saying they don't want it cause its "E". Come on! If the game is good, whats the problem! Kingdom Hearts is a good game. I didnt like hearing goofy, and donald all of the time, but that wont stop me from playing it again! The game is solid, and thats all that should matter!! Oh and by the way, i am buying a cube next week. Nothing beats free video games.
Customers arent too much of a concern for me anymore, becaus ive been at Hollywood video for about 3 years now, and people respect my opinion, and will pretty much rent if i say its good. Its nice having that kind of merit to my word;)
NEways, hang in there and dont let the fools get you down:laugh:

mark0™
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:19 AM
im gettin KH tomorrow wey hey! only because of the good words here, before here, i was determined that it was a lot of crap, disney characters, what is square thinking?? If the game had no cameos from past FF characters and was Totally 100% disney, i doubt i would get it though, no matter how good it is, I have a big grudge against disney lol.

ssjtrunks13
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:55 AM
I have no grudge against disney or square for putting disney characters in an RPG. At first I didn't want to get Kingdom Hearts because I didn't know if it was any good. Now after seeing all this stuff about the game and have watched my little sister play it tonight I am going to play and enjoy ity for sure.

As for the E ratings on vidoe game I do not think anyone shouldn't get a game because it has an "E" rating. Get it becaus eit has a good story line and gameplay not becaus of some stupid rating.

David
Dec 28th, 2002, 02:46 AM
I think that the "E" rating is meant for parents or people to be alarmed its meant for anyone especially for little kids. I hate rating regulation sometime because when I wanna rent a "Mature" rated game by myself, I can't because I ain't 18 or older, yet. So its good in-a-way because if parents don't wanna buy or rent a violent game for their 8 year old child, they will know its a "mature" rated game.

---------------------------------------------------

To be forgotten is worse than death...

David
Dec 28th, 2002, 02:48 AM
I think that the "E" rating is meant for parents or people to be alarmed its meant for anyone especially for little kids. I hate rating regulation sometime because when I wanna rent a "Mature" rated game by myself, I can't because I ain't 18 or older, yet. So its good in-a-way because if parents don't wanna buy or rent a violent game for their 8 year old child, they will know its a violent game by the rating of either "Mature" or
"Ad"-for adults.

---------------------------------------------------

To be forgotten is worse than death...

kupoartist
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:51 AM
just tell them in future that my PAL copy has "11+" on it (the same as any FF game) ... now very few people over the age of 11 could be described as truely being "kids"... hell, I actually think KH is more violent than the majority of the FF games... theres somthing ever so wrong about whacking Selphie around and hearing her squeal (hmm... i bet i've just sold the game to someone right now with that... :laugh: )

oh, and Kingdom Hearts is great... if a little confusing exploration wise... (says me who spent 2 hours trying to find my way in traverse town, when I should have gone back through the door I just came through :laugh: )

Gadzoox
Dec 28th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by the_artist

... theres somthing ever so wrong about whacking Selphie around and hearing her squeal (hmm... i bet i've just sold the game to someone right now with that... :laugh: )

SOLD!

I seriously was not even going to rent this game (I have a thing against Disney) but now I am!!

mark0™
Dec 28th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by the_artist

oh, and Kingdom Hearts is great... if a little confusing exploration wise... (says me who spent 2 hours trying to find my way in traverse town, when I should have gone back through the door I just came through :laugh: )

I know! It took me hours to Find Ariels Stupid Grotto in Atlantica!!! The game is soo tough, im playing on Normal and keep gettin my ass whooped! :( But I think the battle system is a refreshing break from the mundane FF battle system, If i wanna dodge an attack in KH, I've got to be quicke enough, I dont need to rely on a Statistic for that!

Just buy it, you'll lose any Hatred for Disney after it, I did!