PDA

View Full Version : Recurring themes and elements in anime

Jolie
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:20 AM
I'm posting this, because I think it could be interesting to write here all the recurring themes and elements that are included in many anime series we've watched.

For example, a recurring element in magical girls anime is the presence of a "supernatural" creature (often with the appearence of an animal or of a stuffed animal) to help the main character or from wich the main character receives the magical powers.

Rei
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:49 PM
We can't count all the recurring elements in anime! But one thing that I like to mention is the presence of a group of three villains, two men and a woman, in a large number of anime series, especially older ones.

Thrasher
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:33 PM
Teens getting access to giant mechs and saving the world(or ending in EVAs case)
Tokyo getting destroyed
Falling down...

ssjtrunks13
Dec 28th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Weird guys with roses.

Nelo Angelo
Dec 28th, 2002, 03:32 AM
A vampire that serves a human. :O

Seraph Sephiroth
Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:36 AM
Battling evolving monsters with other monsters....

I hear anime's that have reoccuring stuff is called "Cookie-cutter anime"

Frozen
Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Seraph Sephiroth

Battling evolving monsters with other monsters....

I hear anime's that have reoccuring stuff is called "Cookie-cutter anime"

That is by far the worst element ever used in anime.

Specially, since it has a great potential of being exploited with much better ideas, but they always have to come with that terrible bullsh of digimon and Pokemon and YugiOh and :blergh:

Nelo Angelo's example is one of the most interesting, although I have only seen a single anime as such. (Hellsing, one of the best ever)

Nelo Angelo
Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Frozen
Nelo Angelo's example is one of the most interesting, although I have only seen a single anime as such. (Hellsing, one of the best ever)

I semi-consider Vampire Hunter D as a part of my example.

But that's just me.

Yes, Hellsing is one of my favorite animes ever.