PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here listen to real hip-hop??

Plug 4
Dec 12th, 2002, 09:55 PM
what i mean about real hip-hop music:

public enemy
a tribe called quest
de la soul
blackalicious
talib kweli
common
the roots
jurassic 5
gang starr
del the funkee homosapien
kool keith
dj shadow
rjd2
aesop rock
eric b and rakim
pharcyde
big daddy kane
boogie down production/krs-one
souls of mischief
mos def
wu-tang
epmd
nwa

just to name a few.....

i was just wandering.............im huge hip-hop fan and of course i know a lot about hip-hop...so anyone knows couple of them....what's your favorite group or cd(s)...i just want to know for fun.

Lost_myth
Dec 12th, 2002, 10:00 PM
To tell you the truth I've more than likely never heard of any of those ppl you listed at all. *totally clueless* lol

I'm probably not sure what hip hop is..... :disturb:

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 12th, 2002, 10:01 PM
I've heard of and listened to like 85-90% of those bands, but sadly I'm not a big fan of hip-hop.

ssjtrunks13
Dec 12th, 2002, 10:19 PM
I'm a huge fan of hi-hop and out of those I listen to:
Jurassic 5
Rakim
Mos Def
Wu-Tang

Not on the list:
Eminem
Jay-Z
DMX
Naughty by Nature
Petey Pablo
(I don't know if you would call these REAL hip-hop artists or not)

My favorite artist is Eminem!

Lost_myth
Dec 12th, 2002, 10:20 PM
Jay-z and eminem are rap tho not hip hop as well as DMX

ssjtrunks13
Dec 12th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Well, I see them as the same thing.

Fox
Dec 12th, 2002, 10:42 PM
i've listened to all the ones you've listed at one time or another...
i still don't like it for some reason...

MADRUCKIS
Dec 12th, 2002, 10:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

askin for real hip-hop heads in here plug4, you find much.

I'm probably one of the biggest on the site
my list matches yours in some ways .......

Mos Def
OutKast

WuTang
Helta Skelta
A tribe called Quest
Leaders of the New School
Kool Keith
Ganstar
Rakim

and around the new stuff
Jay-Z
Nas
B.I.G
Tupoc
DMX
Mobb Deep
Eminem

I'm kinda fickle with my stuff.....cause I don't feel nuthin with floss or "We roll tight whips!" type crap *spits on the floor*
straight lyrics and beats holmes

Spank-A-Thon
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:11 AM
I'm not a Rap or Hip Hop fan at all really. Through playing basketball I have grown up being 'forced' to listen to my team-mates play stuff like Naughty By Nature, Onyx, Funk Doobiest, Cypress Hill and so on...

However, I have the uptmost respect for one Hip-hop (or are they rap? Could someone clarify this for me?) group. I believe (and I could be wrong about this though) they are pioneers, and helped shape the Rap/Hip-hop scene.

Who are they?

They are no other than 'The Kings of Rock'.... Run DMC.

Not only do I believe they helped craft the Rap/Hip-hop movement, but without their groundbreaking Rap/Rock cover of Aerosmith's 'Walk This Way', we might not have the plethora of Rap-rock/metal acts today.

Without Run DMC, it wouldn't be 'Limp Bizkit', but more a case of 'Limp who?'...

- S

mark0™
Dec 13th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Run DMC ruled, shame one of them died (I can't even remember his name)

De La Soul, lol, I watch a lot of TV shows about old skool hip hop (the best) and De La Soul were like the wimps of the hip hop scene :D But back then, it was about having a laugh and meesing around, unlike today its a bunch of "thugz" going on and on about murder and hoes and that sort of crap. Also Sugerhill gang and Grandmaster Flash and the Furios Five were real good.

ssjtrunks13
Dec 13th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by mark0
Run DMC ruled, shame one of them died (I can't even remember his name)
It was Jam MAster Jay that got shot and I also believe if it wasn't for them maybe we wouldn't have people like Limp Bizkit or Eminem.

dan da man
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:01 PM
i listen only one u mentioned wu-tang! the rest ive only heard,

a couple i list

eminem
dmx
red man
so solid crew
busta rymes
nelly
tu pac
dr dre

yes run dmc are a realy good band, any heard the song "tricky" it was the soundtrack for ssx tricky that song is so funny!

mark0™
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

i listen only one u mentioned wu-tang! the rest ive only heard,

a couple i list

eminem
dmx
red man
so solid crew
busta rymes
nelly
tu pac
dr dre

yes run dmc are a realy good band, any heard the song "tricky" it was the soundtrack for ssx tricky that song is so funny!

oh no :( so soild crew, I have to dissagree, hope you dont like them god awful blazin' squad *shivers*

ssjtrunks13
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:08 PM
dan, Red Man is apart of the Wu-Tang Clan along with Method MAn.

About tricky, I've heard the song and I think it's cool that one of Run DMCs songs are in a video game.

dan da man
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

About tricky, I've heard the song and I think it's cool that one of Run DMCs songs are in a video game.

yer red man has done solo songs, have u heard the song "dirrty" by christina agleria, red man features init.

ssjtrunks13
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:11 PM
I know I just didn't think you knew that.(I am not saying you are dumb)

dan da man
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:14 PM
^
^
ok;) but have u heard the "dirrty" song and what chritina agleria wears, NICE ARSE:laugh:

ssjtrunks13
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM
I have and I agree with you. I have heard other people say really bad things about her.

dan da man
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:20 PM
yea, i dont know why shes seems a nice person, but here in the uk on the ntl website she been voted the cheapest dressing woman (celb) , cmon its not like shes a slappa or anything. (or is she?:laugh: )

ssjtrunks13
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:22 PM
I don't know, but have you seen her latest music video(the one after "Dirrty"?

Do you know what the song is about? (if you have seen the music video or heard the song)

Oh, could you tell me the address for your national website.

dan da man
Dec 13th, 2002, 12:25 PM
sorry trucks i dont know the web site, best to a search on a search engine, nope i havent heard or seen her latest single,
is the song better then dirrty?

Plug 4
Dec 13th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by MADRUCKIS

HAHAHAHAHA

askin for real hip-hop heads in here plug4, you find much.

I'm probably one of the biggest on the site
my list matches yours in some ways .......

Mos Def
OutKast

WuTang
Helta Skelta
A tribe called Quest
Leaders of the New School
Kool Keith
Ganstar
Rakim

and around the new stuff
Jay-Z
Nas
B.I.G
Tupoc
DMX
Mobb Deep
Eminem

I'm kinda fickle with my stuff.....cause I don't feel nuthin with floss or "We roll tight whips!" type crap *spits on the floor*
straight lyrics and beats holmes

cool cool....hehe it would be cool that leaders of new school would still exist...but i dont dig too much in your new stuff list....well to tell u guys the truth i kinda hate commercial hip-hop....but jay-z is still a good mc, nas with lost tapes was amazing and of course for every fan nas that dont have is first album ILLMATC...the hell are u waiting for?????? u got to have that album....it's a classic..and of course B.I.G is still one of the dopest mc...u gotta have READY TO DIE...just big at his best! but im not a fan of 2pac,eminem (even if he has a lot of talent), i hate dmx..sorry....and the worst rappers in the buisness these days are: Ja rule and nelly....well they dont even rap, their doing some commercial pop music..hehe

ssjtrunks13
Dec 13th, 2002, 03:34 PM
It's not that the song is better than Dirrty, I just don't understand what the song is about.

dan da man
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:27 PM
what is she dressed like, the video of dirrty?

Infernal Mass
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:01 PM
anyone ever heard of Masta Ace Inc. ?

I d/l a good track from them the other day called "sittin' on chrome" , they have some other good works too. I threw that sittin on chrome track on my xbox and a few more for when i get DOAX

ssjtrunks13
Dec 13th, 2002, 09:22 PM
what is she dressed like, the video of dirrty?
She is wearing a pair of pants(can't remember if they were jeans) and a shirt, can't remember the color.

tha16thletter
Dec 14th, 2002, 12:06 AM
J-Live.. man is tru hip hop. others include...
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Tupac
Nas
Black Thought
Jay-Z
Eminem
Common
Styles P

lots more... but I'm too lazy to fill in my full list... gimme the realness, none of that bullshit Nelly stuff etc etc... where my real heads at?!
[]D

MADRUCKIS
Dec 14th, 2002, 02:34 AM

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT:shock:

Um no......:laugh:

Meth is the Wu member and Red is a solo artist. They met at a Kris-Kross concert and have been doin stuff together ever since. Red as a Wu member?
:laugh:

NE ways.....

whats hip-hop and whats rap? Kinda of an intresting topic........I'll open a thread to dicuss it there cause this'll be intresting

*chuckles*

Infernal Mass
Dec 14th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Masta Ace Inc. is hip hop. They remind me a bit of a Tribe Called Quest.

2 good Masta Ace tracks are:

Da Answer
Sittin on Chrome

Another good track i found recently is "By a Stranger" from Labba, Illacoin, & featuring Black Rob.

dan da man
Dec 14th, 2002, 09:14 AM
any one heard, fat joe or ashanti the are good rappas and i listen to them!

Plug 4
Dec 14th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by tha16thletter

J-Live.. man is tru hip hop. others include...
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Tupac
Nas
Black Thought
Jay-Z
Eminem
Common
Styles P

lots more... but I'm too lazy to fill in my full list... gimme the realness, none of that bullshit Nelly stuff etc etc... where my real heads at?!
[]D

ah shit man no doubt about J-Live...when i bought all of the above i was bless!!! but i still got to buy "the best part"..damn i heard it's better than :all of the above".........so did u hear the new common, talib kweli and the new the roots????? what do u think about it if u did listen to them? common and the roots new stuff is damn creative like useall but their sound has change a lot!!! some people are damn pissed but im not! both album i give 4.75/5 and same thing for the new kweli!

tha16thletter
Dec 15th, 2002, 12:06 AM
The Best Part is indeed betta, but not by much, IMO... J-live is as real as they come, he aint on that money, cars, hoes bull... Phrenology is just a awesome CD, The Roots are always droppin classics... Quality is just that... utter tru rhymes from a tru lyricist.. havent gotten to hear the new Common yet, but I look forward to it, he's still really an uncovered jewel in hip hop... now if only I could get my new Mos Def album....
[]D

tha16thletter
Dec 15th, 2002, 12:11 AM

any one heard, fat joe or ashanti the are good rappas and i listen to them!
Fat Joe is pretty good... altho Big Pun is many many MANY times better, too bad he died :-/... and Ashanti is far from rap... lol I hope u were jokin :-p She's strict R&B..
[]D

Plug 4
Dec 15th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by tha16thletter

The Best Part is indeed betta, but not by much, IMO... J-live is as real as they come, he aint on that money, cars, hoes bull... Phrenology is just a awesome CD, The Roots are always droppin classics... Quality is just that... utter tru rhymes from a tru lyricist.. havent gotten to hear the new Common yet, but I look forward to it, he's still really an uncovered jewel in hip hop... now if only I could get my new Mos Def album....
[]D

mos is suppose to come out 2 albums...one with a music band and a new solo and maybe a new blackstar. I just hope that he doesn't turn into the commercial rap buisness. that's what im afraid of.

dan da man
Dec 15th, 2002, 05:01 PM
aaaahhh crap, oh yeah ashanti is r&b i just though she doesnt rap and realised.:roll:

Killuminati
Dec 15th, 2002, 05:30 PM
i listen to:
2pac(of course) (he also has alot of straight hip-hop stuff as well as Thug Rap)
Biggie Smalls
Camron
Warren G
Spice One

ssjtrunks13
Dec 15th, 2002, 05:33 PM
I forgot about Nas and 2Pac. (How could I forget?)

Killuminati
Dec 15th, 2002, 06:07 PM
haha i forgot about Nas, now how did that happen?

ssjtrunks13
Dec 15th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Killuminati, What's your opinion on Eminem?

Killuminati
Dec 15th, 2002, 07:59 PM
hmm, Eminem, personally i dont think hes good
i mean hes a good rapper and everything he's got talent but im tired of hearing about the same shit over and over again, all he does is rap about himself and the media, its getting old.

i think he's got a couple years left in him before he disappears

also, i think that all his songs are catchy at first, but get old VERY fast(and no its not due to overplayin since i dont watch MTV, Muchmusic, or listen to the radio)

fantasytiger
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:52 PM
personally i listin to all types of music the biggest thing here in Detroit is hip-hop and rap 2pac was a legend but I think they need to let the poor dude die already (no offense) personaly my favorite music would be
rock and techno
linkin park
limp bizkit
korn
puddle of mud
POD
good charolett
aerosmith
blink 182
papa roach

(phew) just to name a few
and of course call me werid but i like the old motown sound

recently I have been getting back to my roots and been listining/dancing to latin music

and i mean really spanish artist like mark anthony,secada, and carlos santena

i listin to pop but understand 1 thing i like the music not the artists all of them are to fake and they portray the wrong image about life,sex,and above all the ghetto. Rappers especially they make it look like being a gangster is cool and you are the shizzle if you sell drugs.
well here is a wake up call I have lived in ghetto all my life and there is nothing glorious. you know what happens to the thugs around here they end up over doseing and dieing in the gutter or having their face smashed in the cement by 6 cops who do not care who you are. You think puff dady has ever lived and seen what I seen I doubt it he goes home to his two million dollar mansion and eats his caveiar. Thats what they don't show you they got everyone believeing they are suffering ha yeah right try getting evicted 5 times in one year or haveing your shit stolen thats the reality of it. hope i opened at least one persons eyes.

dan da man
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by fantasytiger

personally i listin to all types of music the biggest thing here in Detroit is hip-hop and rap 2pac was a legend but I think they need to let the poor dude die already (no offense) personaly my favorite music would be
rock and techno
linkin park
limp bizkit
korn
puddle of mud
POD
good charolett
aerosmith
blink 182
papa roach

(phew) just to name a few
and of course call me werid but i like the old motown sound

recently I have been getting back to my roots and been listining/dancing to latin music

and i mean really spanish artist like mark anthony,secada, and carlos santena

i listin to pop but understand 1 thing i like the music not the artists all of them are to fake and they portray the wrong image about life,sex,and above all the ghetto. Rappers especially they make it look like being a gangster is cool and you are the shizzle if you sell drugs.
well here is a wake up call I have lived in ghetto all my life and there is nothing glorious. you know what happens to the thugs around here they end up over doseing and dieing in the gutter or having their face smashed in the cement by 6 cops who do not care who you are. You think puff dady has ever lived and seen what I seen I doubt it he goes home to his two million dollar mansion and eats his caveiar. Thats what they don't show you they got everyone believeing they are suffering ha yeah right try getting evicted 5 times in one year or haveing your shit stolen thats the reality of it. hope i opened at least one persons eyes.

not to be rude but this tread is about hip-hop not heavy metal and your fav songs!!

fantasytiger
Dec 17th, 2002, 03:01 PM
sorry sorta got off track i do listin to hip-hop thats why i posted
but i sorta got swept away:right:

(by the way that was rude) J/K

:kupo:...........:mad: