PDA

View Full Version : Just a little something

Frozen
Dec 10th, 2002, 11:57 PM
If you are going to close a thread where I put a link to a funny video, you might as well delete it. I see many threads of this kind around, yet, mine happens to be the only one to be closed. How interesting. You may delete this very thread as well, I just want whoever closed it without even giving a good reason to do so, to read this.

Oh, but I just remember something, I'm worth crap in here and no one cares about anything I could say.

NEVERMIND :disturb:

MakgSnake
Dec 11th, 2002, 12:16 AM
I understand you......

Frozen
Dec 11th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Thank you, I hope that this person does as well. But hey, it's not a big deal, it just leaves me wondering if they have any kind of respect to the members of this forum, not even caring on letting them know why they close their threads. :mad:

MakgSnake
Dec 11th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Yeah sometimes it makes me think the same.........that why close a thread and if so........what was the reason. And too many closed threads isn't good either (Not saying many are closed) still.......

jjmoohead
Dec 11th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Obviously there was a good reason for it, we moderators and Admins are not going to delete, close or lock a topic simply cause someone posted it. I'm sure there is more then a good reason for it. I myself have not seen the post to know what it is all about and have no jurisdiction in this pertacular forum, but I have complete trust in my fellow staff members, so don't take stuff personally. Ever member is important to us, so no more of that negative talk.

Frozen
Dec 11th, 2002, 02:00 AM
If you use a little bit of common sense, you are able to notice that in this very same forum, a thread I made was closed.

And this is not just negative talk, this is voicing my opinion, and all I'm asking is at least a little bit of decency from whoever closed the thread WITHOUT giving a good reason, if there is one, or many.

merylsilverburg
Dec 11th, 2002, 02:01 AM
What jjimoohead said is right...usually mods and admins. don't lock threads unless there's a reason. Frozen, I don't think that video contained any inappropriate material (because I know the "cow" scene, I've seen the movie) but I think the reason why it was locked is because the number of funny footages, funny pictures, and all are getting out of hand and it just needs to be toned down a little. I mean, yes, it's funny, but if it really doesn't have a real purpose instead of being that, then it would be considered spamming. At least that's what I think...I'm not sure. :P

Harry
Dec 11th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Thanks to jjmoohead and meryl.

Frozen: you are acting like a four years old: nobody hates you or think you're worth nothing. We have 2000+ members, and the whole site is mantained with no resources at all - zero money, and it costs, I assure you, lots and lots of dollars every month. Giving reasons for each locked thread is becoming too time consuming. Last month we spent hours and hours deleting spam throughout the forums.

And you said we have "no respect", when there are persons who work here hours a day to keep things running smoothly, people who moderate and administrate, persons who created 500+ original avatars, others who work on the server and when it goes down, they immediately try to fix the problem... why they do that? Because they want to give you, and all the other members, a nice place to stay.

When a moderator thinks a thread is no appropriate, he MUST close/lock it. Looking at your thread, all the things meryl and jj said are right; after all, the thread was not deleted, and in this way other people can still download the movie.

I found what you said a bit offensive - but I was more offended by MakgSnake, who is supposed to have a minimum of consideration for the other staff members, in this case for Mourdor, who closed the thread.

A responsible moderator can express his ideas, but he should first contact the other members of the staff to see their reasons - these are the BASICS of any team work.

Pu the Owl
Dec 11th, 2002, 09:03 AM
I'd like to say a couple of things. It hurts a lot to read this kind of criticism coming from some people who have been here for months, especially when they say with such nonchalant attitude you don't care for your members. I can't hide my disappointment in front of your words, which you probalby said in a moment of anger, but that to me are symptoms that our work is not being taken much into any consideration.

Frozen, you're acting like a newbie. If you had anything to say regarding this, why didn't you send a PM to the moderators of the General Chat instead of opening another thread to complain? You said we don't respect our members. I'd say we respect them, because we let them stay in a forum that's not a chaotic mess. We make people respect rules and we moderate just to offer to anyone a better place to stay, not because we like to see people angry or because we enjoy reading threads like this one. It would be a lot easier to let things go and stop moderating: less work, less anger, less offences, less misunderstandings for us and a lot more of free time.
Anyway, If you wanted a clarification, you had to contact the mods. This is indeed what newbie do when they have to complain about something. If you want to be taken into some consideration, act as a Senior Member (who should know how things go and how to react in front of a closed thread).

Then Makg... Knowing you always like to post complaints about other mods' work in front of every other member, being yourself a mod as well, I won't mind posting here my complaints about this way of acting too. I'd rather not, but since it's not a novelty that I read these replies from you, I'll use your same strategy. You have responsibilities, because you're a mod. If you have anything to say against the work of another mod, I told you more than once, you MUST talk to him or you MUST post in Administration forum, not here, ok? If you want to act as a normal member, tell us and you'll be freed from any moderating duty. But if you want to keep on moderating, you can't put yourself on the same level of others. You have other means to express your disappointment. Start using them, please!

I hope this is the last time I have to post these things.

EDIT: btw, the thread is open, and it will stay opened unless it gets out of hand as merysilverburg said. I haven't closed it and I don't know the reasons for locking it. But I'm sure it was for preventing spammy posts in there, 'cause there was not any kind of conversation in that thread, it seems (apart from people saying "LMAO" or "It's funny!", but oh well...).

Faile
Dec 11th, 2002, 11:28 AM
remember, you agreed to the TOC when you signed up here, and thus, you should respect the peoples who have paid their own money and invested their own time in bringing you this site, afterall you can have a break from posting here but they cannot have a break from running this site.

Deathwatchz
Dec 11th, 2002, 12:04 PM
its closed? maybe they opened it cuz u said something, but it isnt shut for me and tiger, she just posted on there...

MakgSnake
Dec 11th, 2002, 12:19 PM
I just said, ok fine, there was a good reason for the thread to be closed, but I think its good to know the member know as well that why the thread was closed. Like that you will not be having another thread like this one to discuss about it. I have nothing against the mods or anyone, I was just saying that I understand what Frozen said that there was no reason given, and if a thread is closed there should always be a reason given to it.

I feel great to be a mod here, but that shouldn't put me (atleast) at a higher level where I look down towards the members. We are all equal, and thats why I was talking to him as a member first then a mod.

Frozen
Dec 11th, 2002, 02:23 PM
All I was asking on the beginning was just for whoever closed the thread, to at least make a little post, while closing it, the very same reasons meryl or Fortune gave; that the thread could turn into a bowl of spam if people was not going to post anything else than lol's. I did not see it that way when I posted it.

Indeed, I am childish and I act stupid, a lot of times. And in this case I feel bad as this was taken as an offense by the admins and mods, which, was not my intention at all, because I have said it before, you do an awsome job with both the site and the board.

Again, all I was asking was to be told why my thread was closed, the moment it was closed that's all. Didn't mean to turn this into a big deal.

My apologies.

jjmoohead
Dec 11th, 2002, 06:08 PM
I guess i see your point Snake, but not all posts that are closed need a reason, but the way it was handled was wrong, but you understand that too.

Just a note:
The reason things like these are closed are so spamming does not get out of hand. Practically every post after the video was somthing like LMAO or Funny! I'm pritty sure there was no actual conversation. So if its closed you can still see the video, so i dont see that problem.

Daedaelus
Dec 11th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Not to fuel the fire or anything, but I acutally sent a PM to Mordour after he closed the thread. I didn't want him to re-open it or anything if he felt it was inappropriate, but I just wanted to know why the thread was closed at all.

Thanks for clearing it up, staff. :)

merylsilverburg
Dec 11th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Iguana

Not to fuel the fire or anything, but I acutally sent a PM to Mordour after he closed the thread. I didn't want him to re-open it or anything if he felt it was inappropriate, but I just wanted to know why the thread was closed at all.

Thanks for clearing it up, staff. :)

Well, that's actually the right thing to do. If you have a question regarding why a certain thread was closed, the best thing to do is ask instead of creating a thread about it. As long as you don't flame the mod or Admin. who closed it, there shouldn't be any problems just wondering why, if the reason is not obvious. :)

TtTackler
Dec 11th, 2002, 07:37 PM
The dynamic duo of Harry and Fortune strike again, huzzah! Never seems to amaze me.. I saw the post earlier, and it was nothing more than "kung pow is a funny movie!" and "rofl!" Maybe it should be a rule for the mod to give reason why it was closed?

Off topic: Harry, do you still talk to Arnold from psxextreme? If so, I wanted to post there a few days ago and I was having troubles with my account and not being able to register a new one..Then I im'ed him to ask to fix it or give my password, or something..and he just basically went "oh" and said "..what's the purpose when you'll just post three times and leave again" and has ignored me ever since..Can you smack him a few times for me or something? :disturb:

merylsilverburg
Dec 11th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by TtTackler
Maybe it should be a rule for the mod to give reason why it was closed?

But mods and Admins. can't always give a reason for every thread that's locked. Threads are only locked, if by the judgement of the mod or Admin. feels like it needs to be. Otherwise if we all have to give a reason, it'll be wasting time and space, especially when some threads are obvious why they're locked.

TtTackler
Dec 11th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

But mods and Admins. can't always give a reason for every thread that's locked. Threads are only locked, if by the judgement of the mod or Admin. feels like it needs to be. Otherwise if we all have to give a reason, it'll be wasting time and space, especially when some threads are obvious why they're locked.

You just confused me to the point of deliberate confusion :roll: :roll:

Uhm..If they can't give a reason..Then they shouldn't lock the thread at all..? Is it too hard to go "Locked to due the fact that this thread is full of pointless spam that does not pertain to the topic." or something like that..? It would help keep instances like this not happen again..

merylsilverburg
Dec 11th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by TtTackler
Uhm..If they can't give a reason..Then they shouldn't lock the thread at all..? Is it too hard to go "Locked to due the fact that this thread is full of pointless spam that does not pertain to the topic." or something like that..? It would help keep instances like this not happen again..

It's not that we can't give a reason, but that the reason is obvious. If it's obvious that it's pointless spam, then why would a reason need to be given? Besides, Fortune has already gone around and posted announcements about spamming and all...so if one sees a thread that goes for any of those matters, then that's why it's locked. And I said that "Mods and Admins. can't always give a reason" If there are certain threads that are locked and the reason is unknown why, then the creator of the thread should go and ask "Why?" through PMs.

Ruby Moon
Dec 12th, 2002, 02:32 AM
I think around here some people exaggerate with their reactions for a closed thread or anything similar. As Faile said, you all agree the Terms of Use before registering, and they say that admins and mods can close threads in any moment if they think it's necessary.

Then, you don't like it and start a thread like this. Why don't you contact the involved persons next time, instead of posting a thread? This why you won't irritate others with some harsh words you could regret later, and you'll get to know the reasons for locking the thread.

I myself think that thread was nothing particularly bad to be locked, but it's also true that the only reply in there with some sort of content was Frozen's one itself. If it was closed because of that, it's not such a big deal to say you don't feel your rights are respected.

There are too many members around to post an explanation everytime mods have to close a thread, especially if similar threads were closed in the past as well. In case you didn't think about it, surfing the forums and read posts and then decide if they're appropriate or not and eventually close them down, requires some work...

Frozen
Dec 12th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Look, I already apologised so please everyone chill. Yes, I indeed, over reacted, and treated the manner in the worst way I could. I did not use the PM option since I should have PM three people at the same time, and at the moment I thought I rather make a thread where the 3 of them could see it than PM each individually, call it lazy, stupid, whatever, I acted like a 4 year old as Harry said.

I'm sorry, again. This way I have learned to post in a wiser way and have in mind that if a thread of mine is closed is not necessarily closed for a "personal act of censorship" as I thought it was in that moment.