PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere?

Daniel Legge
Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:35 PM
What game do you think has the best atmosphere? (why?)
Or do you think there is just a small part of a game that has a good atmosphere?
You might not even think games can have a proper atmosphere in which case why not?

just wonderin.

Ninja
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:01 PM
silent hill 2, greatest, creepiest atmosphere ever

Noki Noki
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:11 PM
Wild ARMs 2 - Before you get too deep into the game. Raw beginning, basically, in the main town of Merle. The music and village scene just really stand out in my mind.
(Wild ARMs 3 *Just any scene* seems too fake and uninhibited to me.)

Breath of Fire IV - That's what made me enjoy this game so much. The characters were built in an atmosphere that seemed to intertwine well with the spiritual/dragon theme - but most of that feeling occurred in areas like Windia, the Dragon Locations, and Fou Lu's (castle?). The fairy village was a bit mundane, but just.. rather annoying as a setting (Hard to explain).

Arc the Lad (II, III) - That's mainly what attracted me to these game. The cultures and characters were very lively because of the enviroment differences.

Kartia - It may be a strategy game, but the storyline just couldn't be without the liberal background/enviroment, and it would be rather bland, and just a diversion from doing last week's project altogether.

Spank-A-Thon
Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:12 PM
System Shock 2 (PC) has without a doubt, and I reckon The_Artist will agree with me on this one, one of the scariest atmospheres in any game ever! The tension, feelings of dread and apprehension this game causes is unreal.

It makes Silent Hill 1&2 seem like a walk in the park.

That gets my vote for best atmosphere in a game. Anyone with a PC capable of Voodoo 3 standard graphics, I seriously reccommend you check it out. It's been out a while and so should be very cheap by now.

- S

Sword 4 Hire
Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:26 PM
Skies of Arcadia has a very pleasant atmosphere. The diverse and lush environments and the musical themes really draw you into that game. If I'm ever depressed I just pop that game in.

Daedaelus
Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:26 PM
Metroid Prime, because of the astounding music.

Ninja
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

Anyone with a PC capable of Voodoo 3 standard graphics, I seriously reccommend you check it out. It's been out a while and so should be very cheap by now.

voodoo3 ha! don't make me laugh how bout a geFORCE 4 ti4600 128 mb ddr ram agp

Pu the Owl
Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:23 AM
Probably SH games. Even if SH (the first one) has not great graphics compared to latest games, it still has an amazing way to create atmosphere.

Beretta55
Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:26 AM
SH or resident evil 1. i liked the gloomy mansion setting while SH on the other hand. it just a town full of foggyness so for me it's tied.

Spank-A-Thon
Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Ninja

voodoo3 ha! don't make me laugh how bout a geFORCE 4 ti4600 128 mb ddr ram agp Duh - System Shock 2 is 3 years old, GF4's weren't even thought of then. The card required at the time to run it was the V3, hence why I mentioned it.

You don't need to tell me about G4 Ti 4600's - I have one already.

Anyway, back on topic. I remembered before about one game that had, well for me anyway, one of the most incredible atmospheres. It's the only game that ever truly managed to capture my imagination and transport me to another place and time. I am, of course, talking about Elite. I was Han Solo in that game! Heh heh...

- S

Frozen
Dec 4th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Iguana

Metroid Prime, because of the astounding music.

And environmental effects.