PDA

View Full Version : How did you learn to use your PC?

Jolie
Nov 24th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Did anybody teach you, did you learn by using it on your own, did you read manuals or guides? What's your general knowledge of computers matters? For example, if you PC crashes or breakes, do you need the help of a tech or are you able to solve the problem?

AudioBoxer
Nov 24th, 2002, 11:38 AM
I taught myslef, I learned from using a program Called MIRC, just running the program kinda taught me how! I know alot about computers.

Big Dude
Nov 24th, 2002, 12:09 PM
I taught me self everything i know about computer. One day it crashed :weep: and i had to fix it all by my self not knowing a thing and that taught me everything.

AudioBoxer
Nov 24th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Why jolie do you need help with something? I am glad to help you.

Matrix
Nov 24th, 2002, 12:26 PM
I totally taught myself, no books or nothing...... hands on experienceis the easiest way to learning!!!!

AudioBoxer
Nov 24th, 2002, 12:52 PM
YA thats what I did, but using MIRC (for getting movies) Helped me to explore the PC more, cus MIRC screws up you computer sometimes!

mark0™
Nov 24th, 2002, 01:12 PM
I learned by screwing around with my oc and checking out all the little bits of windows, figuring it out. Of course I didnt learn about binary, coding and hardware by myself, lol, I learned that in schools and with books.

jjmoohead
Nov 24th, 2002, 02:13 PM
After years of the Commador 64, moving to a IBM PC was a breeze. it was like night and day.

who remembers this

Load *.* ,8,1

or

LOAD "$" ,8 - to read the disk

those were the days.

kupoartist
Nov 24th, 2002, 04:58 PM
I usually find the best way to learn how to do somthing, is to mess around with something that already works: thats pretty much how I taught myself how to create Unreal levels (with varying success of course.)

I taught a lot of the general computer stuff to myself, but I've always got plenty of nerdy contacts to fall back on if somthing really bad happens, or if it comes to doing somthing inside the case that isn't removing cards or screws ^_^

Daedaelus
Nov 24th, 2002, 05:02 PM
I usually find the best way to learn how to do somthing, is to mess around with something that already works: thats pretty much how

Same here. :roll:

AudioBoxer
Nov 24th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Iguana

Same here. :roll:

Thats the way everyone mostly does it!

Frozen
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Jolie

Did anybody teach you, did you learn by using it on your own, did you read manuals or guides? What's your general knowledge of computers matters? For example, if you PC crashes or breakes, do you need the help of a tech or are you able to solve the problem?

Basically pretty much from everything you mentioned Jolie. a little bit of everything. I had PC class at school since I was little, yet my dad taught me some other things, by reading I learned others, and exploring it myself have learned much as well. But it's definitely still a whole lot what I still need and want to learn.

I'll be a hacka some day :evil:

Faile
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:35 AM
trial and error is always good

Spank-A-Thon
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:03 AM
I had a reasonably good understanding of computers from owning a Commodore Vic 20, C64 and then an Amiga. It was really only when I started A-Level Computer Studies that I started to learn about RDBMS, Programming Styles, OS features and other such gubbins.

My degree simply re-inforced a lot of the basics I had already learnt.

Whilst College/Uni taught me a lot of the theories about computers, I learnt pretty much everything to do with using them in my own time at home. I have always seemed to have a natural affinity with technology! Lol.

Now I have learnt so many things in the last 2/3 years because of work. Back then I could write the most basic of web-pages - now my job is writing full web-applications.

So I guess a combination of sources have all combined to provide me with the knowledge I now have.

- S

AudioBoxer
Nov 25th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Ya, if you play CS alot you will also learn alot, their is sooo much crap wrong with the game that you have to fix it 24/7 now.

Faile
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:03 PM
AudioBoxer : Please only post that sig once per thread. its so sosososo annoying trying to follow a thread with a massive image.

Pu the Owl
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Yeah Audioboxer, it would be better, seeing the huge dimensions of your sig, to post it only once in each thread :heh: Or either resize it, because it's difficult to follow a thread if you have to look at it 5 or 6 times :laugh:

Hylas
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:15 PM
It's not really difficult to use a PC as I do :heh:

MakgSnake
Nov 26th, 2002, 02:42 PM
I didn't know sh*t on computers in the year 1995, but then I got mine, played with different things on it. And the more you sit on it, the more you learn right. So yeah slowly slowly I learned some stuff on it. I wanted to take special classes to know everything well, but I guess I was too lazy for that. :P