PDA

View Full Version : Urusei Yatsura

Elmyra
Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Is Urusei Yatsura from the same creator (Rumiko Takahashi) of Ranma 1/2? The style seems the same and also the comedic aspects and some characters...

Hylas
Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:07 PM
Yep, I do think it's from the same creator if Ranma 1/2 (and Maison Ikkoku and Inu Yasha too). I just think this series is older than Ranma 1/2. It should be from the 80's. But yeah, the style is the same, and the type of comedy is more or less the same. I remember watching Yatsura when I was younger (less than 10 years old) and I quite liked it because it was funny.

Rei
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Hylas

Yep, I do think it's from the same creator if Ranma 1/2 (and Maison Ikkoku and Inu Yasha too). I just think this series is older than Ranma 1/2. It should be from the 80's. But yeah, the style is the same, and the type of comedy is more or less the same.

In fact, Urusei Yatsura has many similarities with Maison Ikkoku too.

Elmyra
Nov 24th, 2002, 10:15 AM
I've never heard of this "Maison Ikkoku". What's that? Can I have some brief info about it?

Hylas
Nov 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Maison Ikkoku, I think, it's newer than Urusei Yatsura, but older than Ranma 1/2.
It's a shoujo series that follows the life of the people living in a sort of (how should I call it?) "house"(duh! :P) The people living there are mostly odd and bizarre persons. Everyone has problems, andgoals to achieve, but above all the story is focused on the characters of Godai (a University student) and Kyoko (who is young widow and also administrator of this Ikkoku house). It's funny and sentimental, so if you like this kind of stuff, you'll appreciate it. There's nothing "supernatural" in it though, and from this point of view it's different from Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2.

merylsilverburg
Nov 24th, 2002, 06:43 PM
The girls that I know at school rave about Maison Ikkoku, just because it's Takahashi-sensei who did the work. I'm not even sure if they like the story. :peoples: But, they did explain it to me and it does seem different than Ranma 1/2. I'm not too interested in it though because while this manga is different than Ranma, I just don't have a liking to her works that much. :P

Pu the Owl
Nov 24th, 2002, 09:16 PM
I've read some books of Maison Ikkoku manga, and I've watched almost all the anime episodes. IMO, it's better than Ranma 1/2, not as much funny maybe, but the story at least makes some sense. It's a "typical shoujo", where the main female character has to decide who will be the right guy for her, and this won't be so easy, since there are lots of complicated situations to solve (as usually happens in many shoujo), but in this case is a bit different cause Kyoko is a widow. This makes of her not a completely average shoujo girl. She's more on the "mature side" even if she's still a young woman. As Hylas said, the story is very sentimental, even if there's a lot of humour in it as well. Some characters are really hilarious, while some others are annoying as hell (I can't stand Akemi, for example, she really unnerves me).

As for Urusei Yatsura, I liked it a lot when I was a kid: it was funny to watch, but to me now, there's not much difference between this series and Ranma 1/2. You can watch them when you have some time to waste, also because their number of episodes is huge. You cannot see all of them if you absolutely don't love them. But again, they're fun to see in your free time or when you don't want to watch anything complex or that you absolutely want to follow from the first to the last episode.

Hylas
Nov 25th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

The girls that I know at school rave about Maison Ikkoku, just because it's Takahashi-sensei who did the work. I'm not even sure if they like the story. :peoples: But, they did explain it to me and it does seem different than Ranma 1/2. I'm not too interested in it though because while this manga is different than Ranma, I just don't have a liking to her works that much. :P

I don't like much Takahashi's works either. I can watch them, but I'm unable to follow the whole series, because I find them boring and repetitive after some time. Inu Yasha is slightly better though.

merylsilverburg
Nov 25th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Yes, I heard Inu Yasha is really good, so I'm looking forward to seeing that too. It's supposed to be aired on the Adult Swim network in the US, but I haven't seen it anywhere. :peoples: