PDA

View Full Version : Japanese adults are better!

Hylas
Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Why do you think in Japan adults like so much watching anime while in other parts of the world they think anime is for young kids? What's wrong with our adults? :mad:

Ruby Moon
Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:48 AM
I think it's a matter of cultural habits. I don't know what's the reason for this though. :confused:

merylsilverburg
Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:13 PM
Well, I don't know if my information is correct or not, but I read that Japanese adults really don't pay too much attention to anime. That's because anime to them is for kids and teens, just like how cartoons or any other type of animation are for the younger audiences. If a Japanese adult is seen looking or watching anime, it would be embarrassing.
I know that anime is a large part of the Japanese culture and there are adults who work at the anime industry or are mangakas, but I (and this is just my opinion) believe that these people are not as highly respected. I believe that adults who consider certain animes and directors acceptable, are only if the art is appealing to adults and kids alike. For example, Miyazaki, Hayao who works with Studio Ghibli...the animes by him are usually very colorful and have beautiful enviroments and backgrounds. Those can appeal to adults, so he would be "acceptable" and respected.
Again, I'm not sure....these are just my guesses. :P

Frozen
Nov 24th, 2002, 04:23 AM
As Fortune said, I believe it is due to cultural and psychological matters. Most of people have the wrong but persistent concept that any animated show is directed to very young audiences. Hence the old controversies with shows like "The Simpsons", which is clearly NOT DIRECTED to kids, but since is so hilarious, kids like it as well as many adults.

It's just a matter of time till we get to see peopl accepting the idea that anime is not necessarily made for children, but it can have different directions towards a variety of audiences.

merylsilverburg
Nov 24th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Frozen

As Fortune said, I believe it is due to cultural and psychological matters.

Fortune? I think you mean Ruby Moon. :laugh:

Frozen
Nov 24th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Oh :D

Got fooled by the avatar :laugh: