PDA

View Full Version : Not So Good Dragon Ball GT

Cannibal Clown
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:36 PM
I was at Anime Nation reading the ask john column, which is where I learn just about all of my anime facts from, and the newest topic was what was the worst anime you've ever seen.

His answer consisted of many anime titles that I would have to agree with 100%. But his last paragraph was very depressing. At school I just saw a vew music video clips from DBGT and thought that the show looked awesome. But then I read this review and got very dissapointed. John said clearly that this was only a personal opinion, but though I always agree with what he has to say, this time I hope he's wrong.

Well, here is what he had to say.I'll probably meet with resistance over mentioning Weiss Kreuz and Dragonball GT, but both of these TV series and the Gundress movie top my list of greatest disappointments. Dragonball GT was, for the most part, at least watchable because it had such well developed characters to work with, but without the guidance of Dragonball creator Akira Toriyama, the wit and humor of Dragonball was lost, and the aimless, arbitrary later half of Dragonball GT virtually screamed of a production staff making up the story as they went along. With its concept of stealthy teen assassins, rockin' J-pop score and impressive opening animation, Weiss Kreuz had a virtually paint-by-numbers formula for success that managed to implode itself due to horrendously poor animation quality, at times stunningly bad art design, contrived and unoriginal writing and painfully clichéd characterizations that relied on tired stereotypes rather than individuality and personality. The same flaws, coupled with a rushed production schedule and severely under funded budget caused what should have been every anime fan's dream action film to become every animation fan's worst nightmare in Gundress. Featuring a story, character and mecha designs all provided by Masamune Shirow, and assembled after the success of the Ghost in the Shell motion picture, it would seem like the fast-paced, violent and gritty mecha action of Appleseed combined with a bevy of beautiful anime ladies in skin-tight uniforms would spell guaranteed success. But the story and budget of a 45 minute OAV expanded to a feature length film simply spelled disaster the like of which the Japanese anime industry has never seen before or since. Gundress is the only anime film I know of that was actually released to the public in Japan before it was even finished! Unfortunately, the final, completed film released only briefly in a limited edition DVD available only through Japanese internet sale did little to support the films annoyingly bloodless (both literally and figuratively) action, weak, underwritten characterizations, glaring lapses in logic and story development, simply ugly art design and appallingly stilted and clunky animation quality.

Like I said, this was only his opinion, but it does make me think about if it's true or not. If you'd like you may go to the Anime Nation web site and check the report out for your self. It's in the news section under the ask john archive.

I urge anyone who hasn't seen DBGT, but love DBZ to read it and tell me what they think. And for the record, previous relpies of his about DBZ and DB were very good and he said that the shows were very good. So I don't know if I should believe what he had to say.

IcyMourdor
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:56 PM
I haven't seen the GT series yet. I never listen to other people's reviews. I always like to make my own opinion. If I had listened to everyone else, I wouldn't be here today and I wouldn't be playing PS2 or watching anime.

BowevelJoe
Feb 14th, 2002, 08:34 PM
true, the GT series was alright, but definantly not the best....

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 14th, 2002, 11:15 PM
If its anything dragon ball i love it

nanjij
Feb 15th, 2002, 01:45 AM
did it say something about "poor animation quality" ive only seen some of clips on GT but thats one thing i know they have done a good job on it.

007_JamesBond
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:31 PM
the clips that I have seen, show that it looks good and I can not wait to watch it, here in America anything DbZ and DBGT is becoming very popular and i will watch it, I love DBZ awsome show and i can not wait to see it and in my opinion prove him wrong