PDA

View Full Version : SONY On-line plans

Spank-A-Thon
Feb 14th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Okay, so I couldn't think of where else to put this so here will do!

Taken from www.gamespot.comOn Wednesday, Sony Computer Entertainment unveiled its PlayStation 2 broadband service, PlayStationBB. The service will commence this April in Japan, and it will allow users to download games, movies, music, webcasts, and digital publications. The service will also provide connectivity to the Internet and cellular phones using the Broadband Navigator software, which will be provided by the user's ISP. The software also serves several other functions. It will include a PlayStation emulator/PlayStation 2 player that allows users to play PS or PS2 software downloaded from the network onto the hard drive. It also features e-mail and instant messenger programs that allow for communication among registered users and a PlayStation Jukebox that lets users play music files downloaded from the network onto the hard drive. Sony noted that the software will also support streaming media using RealPlayer software provided by Real Networks.
Service fees are expected to vary depending on the ISP, and many have not announced their price plans yet. NTT Broadband, a content provider and an affiliate of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, said it plans to charge a monthly fee of 1,500 yen ($11) for Sony's online game and Internet access services. The company also revealed that users will have to pay a onetime fee of 18,000 yen ($135) or monthly installments of 1,160 yen ($8) for 18 months that allows them to download games to PlayStation 2 using the software.

Sony also plans to integrate the PlayStation 2 hardware into other electronic appliances such as DVD players and digital video recorders. Furthermore, the company released a list of online network titles currently being developed by first-party and third-party developers. They are listed below.

Arika
The Dungeon of Doruaga

Atlus
MMORPG (untitled)

Capcom
Auto Modellista
Resident Evil Online (working title)

From Software
Armored Core Sigma

Genki
Tokyo Xtreme Racing Online

Hudson
Bomberman Online (working title)

Koei
Nobunaga's Ambition online RPG (working title)

Konami
Music game (untitled)
Sports game (untitled)

Namco
Clockwork Online (working title)
Action adventure game (untitled)
3D flight shooting game (untitled)
Namco online sports game (working title)

Sega
Guru Guru Onsen PS2 (working title)
Hundred Swords
Simulation game (untitled)
Racing game (untitled)

Sony Computer Entertainment
Arc the Lad Online (working title)
Kuma-uta (working title)
Gran Turismo Online (working title)
Hot Shots Golf Online (working title)
Modiv Ribbon (working title)

Square
Final Fantasy XI

Takara
Network-compatible board game (untitled)

Tecmo
MMO action adventure game (untitled) What you all think???

Gran Turismo On-line??? Wow! Res Evil On-line!!! Sounds great! Some big names in there! I can't wait!

Anyone else have any thoughts??

- S

GaseousSnake
Feb 15th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Kool,but i think theres just one problem with it.Games like MGS2,GTA3,FFX,DMC,etc are all not online capable.Meaninig that the ISP will have to wait for game publishers to publish online games b4 their services can be needed which may take a long time for that to happen,apart from that,im kool with that.

DragonSphere
Feb 16th, 2002, 02:38 AM
Sounds good, but I don't think I'll ever be able to pay off the monthly fees since I have no credit card and I doubt if I could convince my parents to do it. :(

nanjij
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:09 PM
u US people its out in 3 days

Vamp
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:22 AM
GT4 probably be online

and Resi Online GAME? i thought GC got all the rights for RE games. whatever Re sucks anyway

other then that. its all ok