PDA

View Full Version : RPG style stats?

mark0™
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:23 PM
hey, i was on this afternnon and came back on tonioght and noticed these stats things so maybe noone has started a thread about it yet, can someone explain how you increase these statistics? Is it like a karma/dogma rating feature ? or does it go by amount of time on boards and post counts?

thanks.

MakgSnake
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:38 PM
I dont play RPGs, so I have nooo idea what they are, and how they, I would like to know though. But it sure does look cool. Really.

Pu the Owl
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:39 PM
The HP bar drops and rises according to your activity (for example if you post less than 5 replies each day, it decreases).
The MP bar varies depending on how long a user has been a member, and how active he is.
The EXP bar shows how close you are to the next level.

Basically, the more you post the more your stats will increase; but remember that the stats are also affected by how long you've been a member.

mark0™
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
wow, thats really cool, seriously!

MakgSnake
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Fortune
The HP bar drops and rises according to your activity (for example if you post less than 5 replies each day, it decreases).
The MP bar varies depending on how long a user has been a member, and how active he is.
Ok sounds great, hmmm.......my MP is low, must be those 20 days, right?

Hadoken
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:42 PM
can we actually use these stats for something?:peoples:
are you planning to make a forum game of some sort?

btw, my stats just plain suck! :laugh:
oh well. thats what i get for not being active i guess.

MakgSnake
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:44 PM
About that next level thing, what does that mean? Just wondering. Dont shoot me.

Pu the Owl
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Hadoken

can we actually use these stats for something?:peoples:
are you planning to make a forum game of some sort?

Yeah, we're planning to ad new features during the n ext few days.

Makg, yeah, I think your MP is low for that reason :laugh:

mark0™
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:45 PM
must be as you post, ur exp. rises, then when ur exp is high enough you level up i guess.

w000 lvl 4!

merylsilverburg
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:48 PM
That's how RPGs work, so I guess that's how this must work too. Cool stuff actually. :cool:

Pu the Owl
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by mark0

must be as you post, ur exp. rises, then when ur exp is high enough you level up i guess.

w000 lvl 4!

Exactly: the more experience you gain, the faster you'll level up.

MakgSnake
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I understand that, I mean for a newbie, the EXP would rise high and then drop as he'll reach the next level.

But what levels will SSSnake and I would be reaching?.. Look at us! :laugh:

Beretta55
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:03 PM
yes this is a cool feature just like at some other forum's i go to.

Hadoken
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:05 PM
how much HP/MP do you gain from posting? like how much increases with each post?

Hylas
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Whoa! How cool is it? The new style is really nice! I'm not that strong at the moment though... :weep:

Harry
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Yes, it's cute stuff, and hopefully not too common among general gaming forums. We are adding more features in the next days.

Hylas
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:08 PM

Is it 5 replies on average then, to not make the HP decrease?

MakgSnake
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:13 PM
Hmmm, the Admins being flooded by questions, hey I saw that one coming. :D

Oh yeah, one more thing.......can we get a sneak peak on the new things coming in next few days?

And...will this HP/MP/EXP rise and fall (change) everyday?.

Rei
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

And...will this HP/MP/EXP rise and fall (change) everyday?.

Well, yes, knowing it depends also on your membership (on how long you've been a member) it obviously vary with the passing of days. I'm not sure you were asking for this :P
And yes, I think I remember the minimum amount of posts per day to not affect the HP stat is 5. It's not that hard to mantain :right:

Harry
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:24 PM
Yes Makg,
basically every time you post you influence your stats... for example a couple of posts ago I had 131 Hp, now I have 132Hp. Damn...

mark0™
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Rei

And yes, I think I remember the minimum amount of posts per day to not affect the HP stat is 5. It's not that hard to mantain :right:

do you mean 5 post avaerage (total post count / days as a member) or actually posting at least 5 posts per day?

Hylas
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:48 PM
I think this means that you have to post at least 5 times each day to not decrease. If you post more, it'll be increased. Maybe it has something to do wit your average posts (you can check them in your profile). I'm not that sure, but that's what I got from the explanations and it seems a kinda reliable possibility to me.

BTW, it seems kinda clear that if your level increases, also the other stats will somehow increase.

sk8er_kyle
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:39 PM
What happens when you lose all your HP and MP?:ghost:

Hylas
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:40 PM
Hmmm... the question is: can you lose all of them?

Redpyramidhead
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:45 PM
I like it. It amuses me. But,
what happens if my HP hits 0. Something bad? Will I die? Can someone use a healing potion on me?

_RED_ stuff

I'm joking, btw.

Matrix
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:19 AM
man these stats are really cool..........keep up the good work(whoever did them!?!?!?!?!?!?)

IcyMourdor
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:37 AM
If your HP reaches zero, you will be forced to start at the last save point and you will lose everything you have received after you last saved.

Oh wait...*turns off FF*

If you are actually seriously worried about losing all your HP, then you just need to show up more.

FlexMasterRice
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:44 AM
this is the sickest (in a good sense) thing i've ever seen in a forum! .....EVER! It's better than SPAM! Keep up the innovation by the way. Good work admins or whoever came up with this....:shock:

My stats are low :(
what happens when i reach zero?

Beretta55
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by flex master rice

this is the sickest (in a good sense) thing i've ever seen in a forum! .....EVER! It's better than SPAM! Keep up the innovation by the way. Good work admins or whoever came up with this....:shock:

My stats are low :(
what happens when i reach zero?
nothing it just mean's you havent been around here often.

FlexMasterRice
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:33 AM
hopefully i can become strong and powerful just like everyone else!!:roll:

Harry
Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Matrix

man these stats are really cool..........keep up the good work(whoever did them!?!?!?!?!?!?)

There are many forums modifications available that add this kind of things. The stats we currently have come from two pre-existing scripts that we have slightly modified.

We are going to add more RPG like functions in these days, just to add a bit of fun into posting.

Currently, if your HP reaches 0 nothing bad happens; as someone else said, it just indicates you're not a good poster as others, or simply that you have recently joined the forums. Visit the forums, post, and you'll see the stats growing. We might modify the code a bit to make something happen when your HP reaches 0, maybe in combination with the other functions we are going to add.

mark0™
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:02 AM
any plans on making a game which uses your stats? i know that would be unfair to new memebers but maybe it could work out...

Harry
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:13 AM

any plans on making a game which uses your stats? i know that would be unfair to new memebers but maybe it could work out...

Not currently. Developing a RPG like battle system - there aren't good mods available, so we should fully program it - would be a quite long and time consuming process. It's actually not too difficult to create a simple battle system, but it means we should stop working on all the rest. Adding to that, we'd like the main focus of the forums to remain on posting.

But who knows, maybe in the future, with more resources available, we could throw in some little game.

ssjtrunks13
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Finally, a reason to post stuff! Yeah!:cool:

Rei
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

Finally, a reason to post stuff! Yeah!:cool:

Hmmm hmmm.... Don't you have other reasons to post apart from this?

Spank-A-Thon
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Harry
Currently, if your HP reaches 0 nothing bad happens; as someone else said, it just indicates you're not a good poster as others, or simply that you have recently joined the forums. Visit the forums, post, and you'll see the stats growing. We might modify the code a bit to make something happen when your HP reaches 0, maybe in combination with the other functions we are going to add. What about those that don't post so often cos they don't feel the need to reply to many threads? I know there are a few other like me who don't post a reply because they'd simply be repeating what someone has already said.

Much as though I like this new RPG thing, I can't help but think that people may judge others by their stats. Plus it may encourage 'spammy' posts in order to raise these stats.

Time will tell I guess. But please don't misunderstand - I think they are a great addition.

- S

Harry
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

What about those that don't post so often cos they don't feel the need to reply to many threads? I know there are a few other like me who don't post a reply because they'd simply be repeating what someone has already said.

Much as though I like this new RPG thing, I can't help but think that people may judge others by their stats. Plus it may encourage 'spammy' posts in order to raise these stats.

Time will tell I guess. But please don't misunderstand - I think they are a great addition.

- S

Spank-A-Thon, I'm here a lot of time, every day and I don't post that often, also for the reasons you said. I work hours and hours on the forums with Fortune, and I have low stats. But I don't care.

It's just a funny thing that can make some people post more often, and this just means that the forums will be even richer of ideas and words to read - because the fact we included these little funny stats doesn't mean we'll be accepting spam or anything else. The rules are always the same.

Spank-A-Thon
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:06 PM

Spank-A-Thon, I'm here a lot of time, every day and I don't post that often, also for the reasons you said. I work hours and hours on the forums with Fortune, and I have low stats. But I don't care.

It's just a funny thing that can make some people post more often, and this just means that the forums will be even richer of ideas and words to read - because the fact we included these little funny stats doesn't mean we'll be accepting spam or anything else. The rules are always the same. I certainly don't expect you, or the other mods, to accept spam any more than you do now. I also agree that it may encourage people to post more - I just hope that the extra posts also add value to the forum.

I don't really care about my stats, or those of others - I know who the good posters are here and I certainly don't think this will change their posting habits.

Their is no doubt that something like this will encourage people to stay, and obviously you want more members (bandwidth permitting of course! Heh heh...). I'd just hate to see these forums inudated with an influx of spammy newbies who are only interested in boosting their stats. That's the reason I left FFonline (even though they haven't introduced stats).

In January, I'll have been here 1 year, which suggests you and the rest of the team are doing things right (from my point of view of course). Fact is you're the only forum I belong to now and hence I can't help but feel protective.

As I said, I think they are a great addition and will add a lot of fun to the forum - but I don't want to see people abuse this feature.

-S

FlexMasterRice
Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:12 PM
I don't wanna diiiieeeeee!!!!!!!!!:ghost:

Harry
Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:15 PM
Thankfully, bandwidth is not an issue yet. We use and average just 4-5 GB per day, and we can use about four times this amount.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean we don't need more financial resources. I'm working to create some ad plan, some donation system, something that can keep these place online as long as possible, with some income for the staff.

Going back to the topic, there is no need to be scared. This little things spice just things up a bit.

Ninja
Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:35 AM
man, i'm barely in lvl 14, makg is gonna kick my arse

Bogart
Nov 23rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
It'll be hard to survive for those like me who don't post much often :P

Hylas
Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Bogart

It'll be hard to survive for those like me who don't post much often :P

You're almost dead Bogie ! You need a potion XD

Frozen
Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

I dont play RPGs, so I have nooo idea what they are, and how they, I would like to know though. But it sure does look cool. Really.

:shock:

You are missing some fun there, my friend.

Oh, and Harry and Fortune, this is indeed NICE. The new layout is quite beautiful. I still don't understand what exactly is that bar under the member title, though, but looks pretty cool :D

Harry
Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:42 PM
The bar under the title simply varies with the number of posts.

mark0™
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:07 PM

The bar under the title simply varies with the number of posts.

so if I go on a posting spree, my bar will fill up? And if im not posting for a while it will deplete?

merylsilverburg
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:18 PM

so if I go on a posting spree, my bar will fill up? And if im not posting for a while it will deplete?

Hmmm....I think only if you post a lot, it'll go up but if you don't post, it'll just stay the same. Since posts can't disappear and if the bar has to do with the number of posts.

Maybe I'm wrong...? :confused:

Rei
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:19 PM

No, that's the difference with the stats: the bar's level will be stable even if you don't post anymore. It only counts the actual number of posts made.

FlexMasterRice
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:26 PM
Cool.......so what happens when the bar fills up completely? u just start over?? You could post FOREVER!!!

Rei
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:27 PM
You need an impressive number of posts to fill it completely, it's not that you have to worry for the present moment :laugh:

FlexMasterRice
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:38 PM
Hahah Fo sho Fo sho!!! Doesn't look like i'll be filling up anytime soon in this lifetime......:roll:

Isn't it just reassuring that you know you'll have an end to your posting days?:P

Now that i think of it, that bar in a way represents your Life span(?):confused:

Rei
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by FlexMasterRice
Now that i think of it, that bar in a way represents your Life span(?):confused:

No way! That's a scary idea!

FlexMasterRice
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:40 PM
HAhaha dont worry Rei, do'nt post anymore and you'll live FOREVER!! jk:roll:

Oh maybe you'll become a GOD after you reach the top!!:phew:

Rei
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by FlexMasterRice
Oh maybe you'll become a GOD after you reach the top!!:phew:

Yeah, who knows? Anything can happen, but now that you told me there's some similarity between the bar and life span, I'm not sure I want to know...

FlexMasterRice
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:48 PM
oh whats the worse that could happen?? except maybe DIE! :ghost: i'm playin. :drool:

We'll definetely be seeing a substantial increase in the amount of posts cuz of this whole rpg stats thing though........so much that I should be dead in no time!:shock:

FlexMasterRice
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:49 PM
LEVEL UP! HAHAHA, sorry i just had to do that.

Rei
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:50 PM
I bet now, reading this, nobody will be posting anymore :evil:

FlexMasterRice
Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:52 PM
we seem to be doing a pretty good job though! :laugh:

Hylas
Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:04 PM
Hey, stop that! The bar is only a bar, don't scare little children! :ghost:

MakgSnake
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Frozen
:shock:
You are missing some fun there, my friend.
I have tried playing some, I actually really liked Vagrant Story And Galarians. But I just cant hit and wait for another person to hit me back.

And {X}, I ain't like that. :) I dont kick people :)

This bar system is pretty decent too. Nice.

Hylas
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:13 PM
The worst thing in RPGs is that after some time, looking at your stats growing becomes addictive! Makg is safe then, because if he doesn't play RPGs he doesn't know how dangerous this addiction can be XD

MakgSnake
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:21 PM
Hylas, I think you are right, I mean I really dont care if my stats fall or rise as its something I am not that intrested (not because its something I dont like) but something that goes through my head.

That bar under our custom title, I am not too sure, but did we have that kind of a bar looong time back or something? Correct me if I am wrong. Its just something that hits my head that I have seen it before too. Here...?

Pu the Owl
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:22 PM
Yes Makg, but it was in Ikonboard that you had the bar, not in Vbulletin. When the forums went down, so did the cute bars and anything else.

MakgSnake
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:53 PM
Yes Makg, but it was in Ikonboard that you had the bar.
Yeah, see I remember those. I missed them, but couldn't remember if we ever had one or not. I do miss the old ikonboard at times. Although these ones are much better, but I started with those and they had a little different touch. Oh well.

All these new options are excellent. But why the bar is jagged, tringle type blocks? Just wondering :)

Pu the Owl
Nov 24th, 2002, 08:33 AM
It's like that... just because I liked it better than a normal plain bar. While "drawing" it, I thought it looked better that way :P

Miki
Nov 24th, 2002, 09:39 AM
I was looking for an explanation and then I've found the link to this thread. Now I fully understand all the new features and I must say they're pretty cool :right:

FlexMasterRice
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Hylas

The worst thing in RPGs is that after some time, looking at your stats growing becomes addictive! Makg is safe then, because if he doesn't play RPGs he doesn't know how dangerous this addiction can be XD

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Level 99 for more than 5 characters in FFIII (U.S.) anyone?? haha...i know there's worse out there...:cool:

ssjtrunks13
Nov 26th, 2002, 11:57 AM
This whole RPG stat thing on the boards is cool!

MakgSnake
Nov 26th, 2002, 02:17 PM

Yesterday my EXP was quite high (86%), and right now its like 6%. Does that mean it reached the TOP and I have entered the NEXT LEVEL thingie. ?..? :confused:

Pu the Owl
Nov 26th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Yes Makg, when you reach the top (100% EXP) you level up and your EXP starts from 0 again.

FlexMasterRice
Nov 26th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Fortune...looks like you're gonna be reaching the top of that bar pretty soon.......:ahoy:

AudioBoxer
Nov 26th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Ya really huh? I am almost there, pretty close, not as close as Fortune, all the new featurtes are pretty fun.

FlexMasterRice
Nov 26th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Fortune + Me = a full bar:P

Chara
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:45 AM
It looks as if I need a revive... or at least an inn.

ssjtrunks13
Dec 7th, 2002, 06:47 PM
How do I get my HP and MP bars to fill up?

ssjtrunks13
Dec 8th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Rei, I did have reasons to post before the RPG stats I just couldn't find anything interesting to post on until recently.

ToxicUK
Jan 6th, 2003, 06:17 PM
I think that the more text you put in a post or the more you post in a single thread should have an effect on your exp. Just a suggestion.:cool:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:52 PM
That would be a great Idea.

FlexMasterRice
Jan 15th, 2003, 04:59 PM
no it wouldn't, otherwise pointless posts like mine would give me stat ups! hahaha.....just kidding.

dan da man
Jan 15th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by ToxicUK

I think that the more text you put in a post or the more you post in a single thread should have an effect on your exp. Just a suggestion.:cool:

i think it would be to complicated, but its a very good idea.

ToxicUK
Jan 16th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Oh well. It might be too complicate after reveiwing your post i mean a lot of hard work would have to go into it but it might not actually be possible unless you know code without needing al ittle help at all.:shock:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 16th, 2003, 04:15 PM
SO it would be hard to write code for it. This is what you're saying,right?

Zanku
May 25th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Damn...i have not posted in months, no wander i have no HP and MP...Need Elixer...