PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy?

Hylas
Nov 20th, 2002, 12:08 PM
I finally will be able to buy one of those graphics softwares you use to color images or make wallpapers. Since I only had a trial version of Paint Shop Pro (with many disabled functions), before I buy anything I'd like some suggestions.
Which is better among all? Which one is the most complicated to handle? Have you tried more than one software? If so, what are the main differences and features?

Thanks in advance!

kupoartist
Nov 20th, 2002, 02:02 PM
It really depends on how much your willing to pay. Photoshop is what I'd recommend, but its usually more expensive than Paint Shop Pro, the other program that i've personally used.

Photoshop is definatly better... but I'd probably say that PSP has all the features i've ever used in photoshop anyway. plus PSP is better for text. Part of the trouble is with online stuff though, as hardly any tutorial will tell you how to a certain thing in anything but Photoshop, and you'll find yourself being out on your own trying to find things...

Pu the Owl
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:51 PM
I used Paint Shop Pro 7, Photoshop 6 and Corel Photo Paint 10 for image editing, while I've tried also Procreate Painter 7 and Metacreations Painter Classic (plus a freeware program called Open Canvas ^^;;) for coloring images.

For image editing, I personally prefer Photoshop, because it has more features and despite its complexity, when you get used to it it's more easy to obtain anything you want with it. Adding to it, it's kinda good also for coloring images, while I don't think the same of Paint Shop Pro. For coloring Procreate Painter is the best, I think, but it's completely unuseful for other things, so I wouldn't suggest you to get this expensive software if you're not exclusively looking for coloring tools. Adding to it, also for coloring, Painter it's really really difficult to use. It's a mess if you're not used to it :P

On the other hand, what artist said is true: Paint Shop Pro is cheaper than Photoshop. I don't know how much you want to spend on this purchase, but Photoshop is not the best choice if you want something cheap.

Hylas
Nov 21st, 2002, 08:06 PM
Hmm, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I think it's a tough choice. But I won't be the one to 100% have the right to choose, so I'll take these posts as suggestions and keep them in mind when it's time to go and get it :D

Note: I knew Painter wasn't the best choice. I didn't know it was so limited, but it wasn't in my plans to get that program. I think I need something that can do almost anything.

Pu the Owl
Nov 21st, 2002, 08:36 PM
In brief: if you want something cheaper but with all the necessary tools and features, go for Paint Shop Pro. If you want something more "advanced" and professional, go for Photoshop. You said it's not up to you to make the final decision, but keeping this in mind will help you a lot, if you'll have to suggest which software to get :)

Hylas
Nov 21st, 2002, 08:39 PM
I'll print this thread and underline with red pen the last post for my dad :laugh: