PDA

View Full Version : Overrated/Underrated FF games

Hylas
Nov 16th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Is there any FF game you think is overrated and/or underrated?

Frozen
Nov 17th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Can't think of an overrated FF since I like them all, but as a consequence, I can think of more underrated FF's, mainly FF VIII. This game was plain awsome, the storyline was badass, the intro video and the videos overall were the best for PSX (and it has the best intro ever in a RPG IMO ) the battle system was real fun, the characters were all pretty cool, and it's the only FF I have ever tried to beat for a second time XD

Then comes FFX. Everyone rants for it's linearity and because Tidus is gay. But they forget the awsome storyline (although a sad fact is that the end was plain stupid and sad), always ignore that it has probably the best battle system on a RPG, outstanding graphics, awsome music (oh, forgot that about FF8, the music is just AMAZING)

That's all that comes to my mind right now.

kupoartist
Nov 17th, 2002, 05:10 AM
for me, FFX is overated, but still enjoyable. (too linear by far)... FF5 is possibly a little underrated (job system is great) and FF9 is hated by far too many (possibly the best, most thoughtful dialogue of all... if nothing else)

Frozen
Nov 17th, 2002, 05:25 AM
FF IX was absolutely enjoyable and the battle system was the best in PSX. But IMO, the graphic design absolutely sucked. Although it's hard to imagine that game with "big" characters like in FF8 or X

Although I still don't get what's all the rant about FFX's "linearity" which is basically as linear as in previous FF's, in this game they just made it more direct this time, disabling the World Map. This is the only majo flaw I saw on this game, and that however, isn't a big deal for me, but many take it to the heart :(

Frozen
Nov 17th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Sir, unfortunately, the end of the game indeed sucks big time. BUT, I don't think this should prevent you from playing it through, since it's not only the end what makes a game good. Even with it's drawbacks, FFX is one of the games I have enjoyed the most in my whole freaking life, I think it's good that you are at least keeping your progress, I think you should still give it a try regardless of the negative things you've heard from it.

Sleazy P Martini
Nov 17th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Overrated = FFX
Underrated = FFIX

Sword 4 Hire
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Overrated= FFVIII
Underrated= FFIX

DragonSphere
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Overated: (I'll most likely be flamed for this) FFVII
Underrated: I'm gonna be with Frozen on this one and say FFVIII

IcyMourdor
Nov 18th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Overrated= FFIX
Underrated= FFT

sk8er_kyle
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:37 AM
FF VII is underrated. FF VII is my favorite FF game. FF VIII is overated. It had a good story line, good videos, but I hated the drawing magic system. That took hours out of my time. The ending video was funny though.:ghost:

Daedaelus
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:10 PM
FFX is overrated. Too many of the same things/enemies in all the worlds. Plus it had no world map, which made getting around long and tiring. (Remember the journey to meet Seymour right before fighting the machinas and that huge sea-lizard/monster?!)

fantasytiger
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:04 PM
I think ff8 was an awsome game despite what everyone thinks it mixed fantasy with a modern setting almost like ff7 but for some reason everyone loves final fantasy 7 but hates ff8. i liked the fact that the characters seemed more human and second for those of you who have played it ff8 was the first to have voice because there is an english song a woman sings in the background when Rinoa and squall 1st get the airship.:P :ghost: :kupo:

Deathwatchz
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:08 PM
I have to say that a lot of the FF games make it so that some people get it, some dont. I loved all the FF games, even the really old ones. They are one of the best RPG's that I have seen. The depressing thing is that Microsoft bought the rights for the game. I was looking forward to a FFXI on PS2.

ssjtrunks13
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire
Overrated= FFVIII
Underrated= FFIX
Ditto!

Sid554
Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Deathwatchz

I have to say that a lot of the FF games make it so that some people get it, some dont. I loved all the FF games, even the really old ones. They are one of the best RPG's that I have seen. The depressing thing is that Microsoft bought the rights for the game. I was looking forward to a FFXI on PS2.

:peoples:

WTF are you talking about?

Overrated-FFX(Too linear)
Underrated-FFVIII(I haven't played all of IX yet)

Deathwatchz
Dec 4th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Ok, since u didnt get it. I meant i thought a lot of people underrated the FF games, ALL of them. Some people get the game (they liked the plot) some don't (they hate the plot), but in my opinion, I liked all of em'. Also, Final Fantasy 11 is going to be on Xbox. I wanted it to be on PS2. The reason that I bought the ps2 is cause final fantasy was on it. I figured they would make more than just one FF game for it. By the way, I would have explained myself better the first post, but my computer class ended and i needed to get off the comp. so I rushed. Sorry bout the confusion.. :roll:

kupoartist
Dec 4th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Deathwatchz
Also, Final Fantasy 11 is going to be on Xbox. I wanted it to be on PS2. The reason that I bought the ps2 is cause final fantasy was on it. I figured they would make more than just one FF game for it.
rrriiiiigggghhhhhtttt... FFXI is already released on the PS2 in Japan. No Square games are planned for the X-Box. the PS2 version may well never happen, but a PC version will certainly happen (as has happened in Japan). Also (and this may put out that burning flame of anticipation you've got there :happy: ) FFXI is only playable Online, and therefore will lack many of the offline FF goodness (ie. a decent compelling story - gameplay may be better... perhaps)

As for wanting futher FFs on the PS2, look out for: FFX-2 (the sequel of FFX), FFXII, and FFXIII

Deathwatchz
Dec 4th, 2002, 05:20 PM
oh well, guess i got a false rumor. I heard from a few people it would be for xbox and comp. only. Thanks for clearing it up for me :)