PDA

View Full Version : NieA_7..

Noki Noki
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Has anybody seen this anime?

I have a synopsis, but I need a review..

I'm looking around for cheap prices on the four DVDs, and I'm thinking about shelling out $70 or so for the series ( as part of my Christmas gift to myself :D )

Also.. are there any other anime to be recommended, if NieA under 7 isn't worth it?

(I also cannot decide between Cowboy Bebop Perfect Collection + Knockin' On Heavens Door *Saw the two with combined price under $50..* or the TV/OVA *Altogether for $70* of Fushigi Yuugi, bearing in mind I have not seen Fushigi Yuugi)

merylsilverburg
Nov 15th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Noki Noki
Has anybody seen this anime?

I have a synopsis, but I need a review..

Omigosh NieA_7...:disturb: I've only watched the first 2 episodes and to me, it's not that great. Yes, from the sound of the sypnosis and the look on the box cover, it seems like a really interesting anime and it's by the same director as LAIN, but:

1) It's not dark, mysterious, and moody like LAIN....it's more slap-stick comedy.

2) That NieA alien girl is just plain, flat out annoying. All she does is complain about being hungry and is basically a freeloader who doesn't do any work and just causes trouble. She is not considerate of Mayu who is just a poor college girl who needs to save up her money.

But, if slap-stick comedy is something that you enjoy, then by all means, go ahead and watch it. I just don't like it because of the noise, the irritating ways of NieA, and just the characters overall. The coloring and background designs are beautiful though and the art is crisp and clean, which is nice.

Also.. are there any other anime to be recommended, if NieA under 7 isn't worth it?

(I also cannot decide between Cowboy Bebop Perfect Collection + Knockin' On Heavens Door *Saw the two with combined price under $50..* or the TV/OVA *Altogether for $70* of Fushigi Yuugi, bearing in mind I have not seen Fushigi Yuugi)

Knockin' On Heaven's Door is out in the US? :blink: Oh...I didn't know that.
Well....I'd say get the CB Perfect Collection if you haven't seen the series. This is a must-see anime and getting the Perfect Collection nowadays is rare since it's nearly all sold out, so I'd say go for it. The series is dramatic, but has their moments of humor and action....and the story is good...even the ones that don't follow the main storyline.
Fushigi Yuugi....that's an incredibly good series and it's extremely dramatic....but...if you can't stand too much lovey-dovey romance such as hearing the two main characters say each other's names over and over again, then I'd say, don't get it. But, if you can stand it, then it's a great series and it's one of the more epic and better animes....you actually do anticipate what happens next and there are dramatic moments, humor, tears, romance.

Uh....other animes recommendations...well....if you like shoujo (since you're thinking about Fushigi), another shoujo anime I'd suggest is Shoujo Kakumei Utena or Revolutionary Girl Utena. There are two DVDs that has all 13 episodes and it's a nice anime.

I'll post later with a more updated review on Utena and other animes since I have to leave now.

Noki Noki
Nov 15th, 2002, 04:50 PM
www.animeniacs.com was the site I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie on, and I can't say I trust it, so I'll probably end up buying the Cowboy Bebop collection used for $55.. >_> (same as Fushigi Yuugi ($70)) Of course, if someone can give me a good-spirited testimonial about the site..

I usually go for slapstick/comedy anime.. so I'll still probably check NieA_7 out if I don't decide to buy a box set.

I knew about Utena, but I didn't think about buying it because all the episodes aren't on DVD yet..

Thanks, Meryl. ^^

Another piece to the topic: Are there any really reputable sites online for buying Anime DVDs at a good price? I was thinking about purchasing from Amazon.com ...

merylsilverburg
Nov 16th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Oh, I'm really glad to have helped Noki. :happy: Yeah, if slapstick-ish comedy is something you enjoy, then NieA_7 would be a good recommendation. :)

Lessee....Amazon does sell good animes for a good price...they knock off about...$2-3 off the store price of DVDs and all.

Amazon would probably be the best place to get DVDs....I have heard that SamGoody and Suncoast online are good too, but I'm not sure of their prices. :P

Thanks for the link to the animeniacs....I'll check it out later. :) I could've sworn I didn't hear anything about CB the movie being out...I know it's licensed, but it should take a few more months though until its release. :P