PDA

View Full Version : Real actors vs 3D models

Jolie
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:51 AM
I've seen a movie lately, called "Simone". I don't know if you ever heard of this movie. I think the problem the movie wants to talk about is the danger that 3D actors, built with the help of computers and technologies, will replace the real thing. Scary thought, but it's a possibility: 3D actors are always reliable, in many cases they cost less than a superstar, they always obey and don't start b*tching around, they can do anything perfectly and so on. Some movies, apart from the one I mentioned, used fakes as actors, some of them where completely done with a PC (like "FF the spirits within"), some others used CGs as a support (from "The Crow" where it was a necessity, because of the death of the Brandon Lee, to Star Wars, where real actors and CGs are mixed together).

Do you think one day real actors will totally disappear? Should movies use CGed actors with some limits?

Spank-A-Thon
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:07 PM
There is one thing that truly great actors have that cannot be re-created. It is something that one is born with, although it can be learned to a certain degree. It can make the difference between a goodperformance and a greatone.

Any ideas?

Charisma....

True charisma cannot be simulated. Those that have it light up the screen, they draw your attention and captivate you. It's an un-explainable, intangible quality that is very difficult to describe.

Robert De Niro simply oozes charisma. Compare that with Keanu Reeves (especially in Point Break!)...

That's why I believe CG will never replace real actors.

- S

Frozen
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:39 PM
I agree with Spank. I'm sure that the usage of computarised actors will be increased, but not to a certain point that they will actually replace real actors. The people will not like that anyways.

kupoartist
Nov 14th, 2002, 04:07 PM
no film has ever truelu outed actors - "The Spirits Within" still had to use voice acting talent, and many CG movies always use people on stage in special suits to give the 3D models their "skelletons" - Jar Jar Binks in Episode 1 for instance.

I doubt that CG will ever out actors. I can see it outing locations and props a little (would be cheaper than flying there with all the equipment) but even in that sense it would likely never happen - few CG movies have good plots, they cost too much money and effort and don't ever look as natural as they should.

Frozen
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Nonetheless, I'm quite interested on seeing more movies a la Spirits within. I wish they made a movie for FF with that quality, but a TRUE ff movie ;_;