PDA

View Full Version : Is that anime or not?

Jolie
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Can anime be made in other countries apart from Japan? If the style is the same of anime, the story is similar, the ideas are more or less the same, can this kind of animation be called anime?

Frozen
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:55 PM
That's a good question. I don't see a reason for it not to be called "anime" if it's the same thing, but without being japanese. But I believe nothing like that exists, Jolie. Every other animated series made has other styles different from anime, I don't know of the existence of somethign like you posted.

The only series that comes to mind and gets closest to anime is Todd McFarlane's SPAWN which is an animated series with a serious plot, but for mature audiences. The style of animation gets nowhere near to that of anime, but it's still pretty good on it's own style. I recall this example just from the fact it's one of the few non-animes I've seen that are not directed to children, like many animes out there.

And BTW, McFarlane made that series inspired on Akira ;)

Rei
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Would you call manga comics that are not from Japan? Maybe, if the style is similar to the one of real Japanese manga. The same goes for anime. In theory you can call a product which is not from Japan anime (it stands for animation, so why not?), but it's not exact, because the term is used only for animation made in Japan.

merylsilverburg
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Rei
In theory you can call a product which is not from Japan anime (it stands for animation, so why not?)

That's true...I guess you can call other animation that is closely similar to anime, anime since the style is the same. However, the people in Japan call US cartoons "anime" since anime does mean animation..so for them, that would be considered anime.
I guess since in the US, the term "anime" has already been labeled as a name used only for Japanese animation, that using it to describe "cartoons" sounds a little weird. But, I'm sure that if you use anime to describe something that's not so anime-ish, it'll be okay too.

*I'm not thinking too straight since I'm not feeling well, so I'm sorry if anyone who reads this get confused. :P*

Zanku
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:51 AM
Was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Anime? My mate said it was a cartoon, but i aint sure.
How exactly to you define an Anime? Most i guess have multiple episodes to a whole story line, thats what makes them different to Cartoons and such (i think anyway)

merylsilverburg
Dec 1st, 2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by qube

Was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Anime? My mate said it was a cartoon, but i aint sure.
How exactly to you define an Anime? Most i guess have multiple episodes to a whole story line, thats what makes them different to Cartoons and such (i think anyway)

Yes, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" would be considered an anime because it is from Japan (if my info is correct). So would "Inspector Gadget" and other animes that were released in the US and thought to be as cartoons.

So, qube what you're saying is, since cartoons have different stories for each episode, that's what makes them different from anime? That's interesting, I never thought of it that way and you could be right. :)

Well, I guess asking an expert (like John from AnimeNation XD) would help us with the answer....but I don't know if he'll answer something like this, if it's already been asked. I think I'll go and look through his "Questions" archive and see if I can find the answer and post later. :)