PDA

View Full Version : Love Hina

LaiN
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:23 PM
I just LOVE this anime, is there any similar Anime to this one b'coz I am looking for some good new ones.

Also something similar to Neon Genesis, Serial Experiments: Lain.

Thnx :D

merylsilverburg
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Well, since I've never seen Love Hina, I can't really tell you much on what would be similar to it. However, I have heard that whoever likes Love Hina would like "Ah! My Goddess" as well. You might wanna check that out if you haven't already. :)
As for Evangelion and Lain....I can't really think of too much that fits with Eva...but for Lain, another series that similiar to the dark and moody atmosphere of that anime is "Boogiepop Phantom" which is also directed by the one who did Lain. I'm sure other people can help you as well, since my suggestions probably aren't the best. :right:

LaiN
Nov 20th, 2002, 03:11 AM
I just watched 2 episodes from BoogiePop Phanton and I LOVE it. It is SO Lain Like :happy: Did this creator made more series?? I'm sure I'll love them!

LaiN

merylsilverburg
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Yoshitoshi Abe's most recent anime is about to air in Japan on November 27 and it's called Haibane Renmei. It looks very beautiful because the characters has this kind of angelic glow. They have angel wings on their backs and halos on their heads. I believe it may be a semi-dark anime, but I haven't got info on it yet. Here is the link to the website if you want it. It's only in Japanese though:

Haibane Renmei (http://www.pldc.co.jp/rondorobe/anime/haibane/index.html)

I hope this helps. :)

LaiN
Nov 21st, 2002, 05:40 AM
Wow! That looks AMAZING! Thanx!

Ruby Moon
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Honestly, I hate Love Hina. I find it kinda hilarious in some parts, but plain boring for the rest of the time. On the other hand Boogiepop is cool. Not the average anime for sure.

As for suggestions, it depends on what are you looking for: you said you'd like to see something similar to Love Hina, then something similar to Evangelion, then you also added Lain and Boogiepop. This is almost the widest variety of anime you can get, I think. They're all pretty different. Looking for these similarities you could watch almost anything :shock:

If you liked Eva, you could try watching "Fushigi no Umi no Nadia" which is from the same creators of Eva, but it's older. Some of the recurring themes and atmospheres of Eva are taken from there.

merylsilverburg
Nov 24th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Oh LaiN, I found a little summary of Haibane Renmei and it sounds pretty interesting:

Haibane tells the story of a group of girls who live in an isolated place called "old home", presumably because they have wings and halos, making them kind of stand out in normal society. The older girls are all apparently born from a cocoon-type structure, having traveled there through some sort of dream, different for each girl. The anime starts out with the arrival of a new girl, her cocoon having grown big enough that it's ready to open, finally. The other girls are all excited, and finally it does burst, with some help from the girl inside, who will come to be named Rakka. All of the girls are named after things in their dream, and since Rakka was falling endlessly through the sky, they named her with characters meaning "fall down". Anyway, they take Rakka to a room, give her a freshly-forged halo (it's still hot, and it doesn't quite want to stick right), and wait for her wings to sprout. ... that is just the beginning...

I hope this helps other fans of Abe-sensei's works get into his newest anime. :)

LaiN
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Hmm, November 27th in Japan, how long will it take then to air in America?? This sounds like a great Anime.

merylsilverburg
Nov 25th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Well, since this anime is so new to Japan I doubt it will be licensed anytime soon. And it also depends on if a company decides to license it. Usually, the series would have to be nearing the end or the last episode if coming up, in order for a company to license it and begin the translating and dubbing. Then that takes a while for them to finish that process and then it's released in the US. So, it all depends on how many episodes Haibane Renmei will have (maybe 26?) and how long it takes to finish airing in Japan and if someone wants to license it. If I hear anything about this over the next couple of months or anything, I'll let you know. :)

LaiN
Nov 25th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Thank you! I would not wanna miss this one!

Frozen
Nov 25th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Hey LaiN, you may want to check out Ranma 1/2 and Those Who Hunt Elves. You will have the funny all around with you :D

LaiN
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:59 AM
here (http://www.animeprojects.com/haibanerenmei/) some more info about Haibane Renmei.

Today I am going to watch Ranma, Trigun, Those who hunt Elves and Cowboy Bebop. Ranma though looked good ;)

merylsilverburg
Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:49 AM
Wow, hey it looks like that site has some really good info on all of Abe's works. :cool: Whoops, I gave you the wrong information, LaiN...Haibane Renmei first aired on October 9. So sorry! :right:
Well, I hope you enjoy those animes and tell us what you thought of them. :happy: