PDA

View Full Version : Is Xbox Really Screwing Up Games?

MakgSnake
Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:45 AM
First, I would like to mention I am not saying that Xbox is a bad system or anything like that, just mentioning few things which I have been noticing.

Why is it everytime a game gets a port on Xbox, the result isn't the best. Need for Speed is suppose to be the worst on Xbox, Fatal Frame didn't do the best at it too, LOTR wasn't good at all at it.

I hope the same doesn't happen to MGS2S.

Althought Shenmue II is not a port, it still didn't do the best job on the system.

Beretta55
Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:53 AM
well maybe i dont know....i really havnet played any xbox port's really. but i hope they dont screw up MGS2 like you said. and i hope shenmue 2 dosent suck cause i really want to buy that game.

happy_doughnut
Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:18 AM
That's a very good point your brought up, Makg.
I've noticed how some of it's *best* titles end up fairing quite bad. At first I thought it was kinda strange since it's supposed to be the most *powerful* and whatnot.
Alotta games seem choppy and under-developed.

Also, I've seen how the versions the X-Box gets which were primarily released first on the PS2 aren't as good as they should be. I mean, many games for the X-Box get all of these extras and it really is disappointing when they come out with really poor games.
But I guess this is because the PS2 tends to get them first and the extra features may not be ready on the release date. Adding to that... it also has to do with the fact the sometimes Microsoft actually requires extras, I think.

All in all, the X-Box isn't doing that great; at least not as good as it should be. It really is messing up some games that have a lot of potential with their choppiness.

And yeah : I hope it doesn't happen to Shenmue II :weep: That would just... suck :mad:.

MakgSnake
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ZeroSniper

All in all, the X-Box isn't doing that great; at least not as good as it should be. It really is messing up some games that have a lot of potential with their choppiness.

And yeah : I hope it doesn't happen to Shenmue II :weep: That would just... suck :mad:.
Well, yes I agree with that, keeping in mind that Xbox is the most powerful system, developers aren't really using its power, and I have no idea why not. May be just because Microsoft has popularised its system soo much by saying the Most Powerful System, people are thinking that the best of games would be on it.

As for Shenmue II, as I was looking forward to, its not the best on Xbox, as it should have been. Common its Shenmue we are talking about. It has to be Mind Blowing. (hehe)

goodman
Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Sounds similar to the situation when the Playstation and Saturn were competing against each other. The Playstation got the quality versions of games, and then the leftovers would be plopped onto the Saturn, often to little or no sales. Sega had lost so much of their third party support with the Saturn that by the time they released the Dreamcast they were basically on their own with just a few companies to support their hardware. Microsoft, and Nintendo, with what little clout they have nowadays with their limited user bases and skepticism concerning their futures, gets previously released versions of games from the ps2, which everyone already owns, and the sales, and versions of the games noticeably differ. There are many similarities with the previous console wars, and Xbox and GC will always be second and third in line. Of course Kraft will have something to say about that, but i think its an uphill battle for the two stragglers in the console business.

Jon27
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:38 PM
bad ports have nothing to do with the xbox, it has everything to do with 'lazy' developers.

They make a game on ps2 so it is lower on quality for graphics, and then they just do a basic port over to xbox and cube, that does not make the game bad, it just makes the look of it bad compared to other xbox games. Still there are some developers that make good ports.

now i hear NFS was pretty bad but i havent played any version of it so i wont comment on that

But most ports get a lower score on xbox then on the other systems only because more can be done to the xbox version. It doesnt mean the xbox version is worst infact the xbox version wins almost every head-to-head at IGN

Uchiha Sasuke
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:55 PM
I own shemnue 2.Its a great great game.Same awesome gameplay and voice acting.The only thing that was a real complaint for the reviewers is that it looks pretty much exactly the same as its japanese dreamcast counterpart, its not a bad thing but it doesnt shine like most of todays games.Everything else in the game is great its even got shemnue the movie to fill in the past events that happened in the past game.

Back to topic.Yes xbox has been getting a lot of shotty ports.Fatal frame on xbox isnt a bad game at all.Looks a lot better and cleaner than the ps2 version but i think it got a low rating because overall nothing was really improved on, which is what ports are spose to do.Yeah and like makg said the only real bad port was nfs and i agree it stinks badly but most of the ports out now are good stuff.

Mercury Shadow
Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:15 PM
I dont know if this was mentioned because I didnt have time to read through all the posts, but its not Xbox's fault, it's the developers fault such as with NFS. I dont think the same developer did the game for Xbox as they did for PS2. Who knows... I know that some games have been disappointing for Xbox such as Blinx or Toe Jam, but I'm really looking foward to Panzer Dragoon + Mechassault.

MakgSnake
Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Then if its developer's fault, why isn't Microsoft taking some action on it, it spends alot of money is buying a franshice or titles, and make them Time exclusive. Why not giving rights to the right developers.

Spank-A-Thon
Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:17 PM
You can blame the architecture of the XBox (as well as lazy developers) for the shoddy looking titles.

Due to the XBox using Direct X, and the GeForce having lots of hardware special effects, it's very easy (comparitively speaking) and quick to produce something half decent looking.

To produce something average looking on the PS2 is much harder due to it's use of Vector Units. But what this does mean is that the extra push to make something look great does not require that much more effort.

Basically it seems the developers get to a certain level with XBox software and think 'that'll do' rather than pushing the envelope like they do with PS2.

I'm still yet to see anything approaching the gorgeousness of MGS2, GT3 and FFX on the XBox.

- S

Daedaelus
Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:18 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, XBOX is really doing justice to the games that come out for it. Shenmue II looks and plays great on XBOX, the only thing is that sometimes the framerate suddenly drops for some odd reason. :peoples:

Uchiha Sasuke
Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Iguana
I don't know what you're talking about, XBOX is really doing justice to the games that come out for it. Shenmue II looks and plays great on XBOX, the only thing is that sometimes the framerate suddenly drops for some odd reason. :peoples:

Is this on shemnue or on another xbox game.Because i never expirenced a frame rate drop.

Daedaelus
Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake

Is this on shemnue or on another xbox game.Because i never expirenced a frame rate drop.

It only happens on Shenmue II, if it continues, I'm returning it, or do you have a remedy?

goodman
Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:50 PM
Have you ever tried the old coffee grind trick, oh no i forgot that was for crank cases in 70 Chevelles.......... :P

KraftSLU
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Actually if you read most of the reviews it says that the game isnt up to par with the 'xbox standard'. What this means is a game could be perfectly identical on PS2 and XBox, but the ps2 would get an 8.5 and the xbox would get a 7.5 just because the xbox game 'isn't taking advantage of the xbox potential' regardless as to whether or not it was a good games. That is the exact reason I quit reading other people's reviews and started playing games on my own.

goodman
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Thats a good idea, Kraft, i dont do things according to other peoples whims, am totally individual, and promote that idea in anything im involved in. Ive been a big believer in renting since getting my ps2. I used to just buy games, but often i will rent them since were in the new generation of short, but sweet, it seems.....

ZeroBeat77
Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:21 AM
aye people, check out unreal championship for xbox. u might change ur opinions about xbox (just sayin)

Frozen
Nov 23rd, 2002, 02:23 AM
I think that X box is just going through the same thing as NGC, both are great consoles, but are short on the list of good games released for them. But they have in common as well, the fact that there's several upcoming titles that will own you all. And the few but good, no, AWSOME titles that they have, are already worth to buy the console to begin playing them. Right now the only 2 games I have for X Box are HALO and Morrowind, and both games are MAGICAL. As for Gamecube, right now I'm on the Platinum fever thanks to Metroid Prime and Resident Evil. And I have about ten titles for PS2, since I got that console months ago, and to tell you the truth, I enjoy with the 3 consoles equally.