PDA

View Full Version : Braking Up The Band

MakgSnake
Oct 28th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Do you people like whenever a band brakes and then people start making their own solo albums. I think it sucks, not that I care much. Still its totally something wrong IMO. Ok you make more money alone (that is if you make it big)

Now a days whenever a band comes, with in the next 2 years those people are releasing their solo albums (and most of the fans hate that, cause they never wanted their band to brake into peices)

Bands in old times were the real ones, they never tried releasing SOLO records and look, they are still in business.

kupoartist
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
Bands in old times were the real ones, they never tried releasing SOLO records and look, they are still in business.
well except the Beatles (Lennon and Macca... and harrison, but not Ringo... no Ringo was content to narrate Thomas the Tank Engine :happy: ), I guess they didn't. Its mostly due to the fact that Manufactured Bands don't simply have the chemistry that proper bands have, even if they allegedly have the singing talent. But I don't particuarly see anything wrong with the better ones going solo.... not that a single Dance or Trance act stayed around long enough to get round to spliting up :laugh:

MakgSnake
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Yeah sometimes its better when a solo members goes and releases an album. But most of the time it just doesn't work. "Take That" was a decent band, but they broke up, and although two of their members made it big doing SOLO, still I dont like their singles now.

Pu the Owl
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Some musicians start making solo albums even when they're still part of a band. They could decide to start their own solo career later, and sometimes that's not a bad idea. Working on solo projects they can put in their albums the genres and the ideas they like the most. Being part of a band sometimes can limit your creativity.

For other "bands" like Spice Girls what I said above doesn't count :laugh:

Beretta55
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:30 PM
i dont really mind like rock band's people going solo. cause its music i like but people like nysnc going solo pisses me off to no end!!:laugh:

MakgSnake
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Yeah I know, being solo really lets you do your own thing. There are no restrictions then, but people who brake the band just to get the solo recognition should keep this in their mind that it was because of the band he/she got most recognition. Braking up the band for making it big alone is just being selfish in my opinion. (But then everybody is selfish on this planet).

As for Spice Girls, after Ginger left, the band went down, and so did Ginger Spice's solo career (She had a couple of Semi-Hit though) but thats not what we/they want.

beretta55, I was glad that Justin released his solo single, its better then any Nsync song. May be because The Neptunes are helping Justin. No wonder Justin's single' beat is dope. Neptunes helped even Nsync before, thats why I consider Nsync a little better BoyBand then others around. (Thanks to Neptunes)

Beretta55
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
Yeah I know, being solo really lets you do your own thing. There are no restrictions then, but people who brake the band just to get the solo recognition should keep this in their mind that it was because of the band he/she got most recognition. Braking up the band for making it big alone is just being selfish in my opinion. (But then everybody is selfish on this planet).

As for Spice Girls, after Ginger left, the band went down, and so did Ginger Spice's solo career (She had a couple of Semi-Hit though) but thats not what we/they want.

beretta55, I was glad that Justin released his solo single, its better then any Nsync song. May be because The Neptunes are helping Justin. No wonder Justin's single' beat is dope. Neptunes helped even Nsync before, thats why I consider Nsync a little better BoyBand then others around. (Thanks to Neptunes)
yeah that's a really good point but i have to get this out. justin timberlake went solo and now sing's with rapper's!! noooooooooooooo!!:laugh: is there no injustice in the world!?!?:laugh:

MakgSnake
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by beretta55
justin timberlake went solo and now sing's with rapper's!! noooooooooooooo!!:laugh: is there no injustice in the world!?!?:laugh:

True that its kinda weird seeing a pop band guy doing HipHop beats, but may be thats what he likes. Like Fortune said, as a single artist you have more freedom for what you really want. May be he is a big HipHop/R&B fan and thats why hes making beats like one, and getting a helping hand from rappers.

Look at "Nick Carter", his single isn't exactly Pop, but rather a Rock/Pop. Still his song isn't great at all.

Spank-A-Thon
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:33 PM
I was in a band for 7 years and they were some of the best times of my life. Usually, although admittedly not all, songs are a result of the band members pooling resources, adding their own little bits and the like - well, that's how it worked in my band.

This means, as a band, you sometimes produce songs you really love and sometimes your produce songs you think are merely okay... but I know in my band, each of us brought different things to the table.

My guitarist brought a more Bon Jovi/Van Halen type style to the band. Our bass player brought influences from the likes of Rush and the Police. Me being the drummer brought more thrashy traits such as Metallica and Megadeth. Our singer... well, she just sang anything really! Lol.

This resulted in a unique sound, but something that wasn't quite thrashy enough for me - or maybe Bon Jovi-esque enough for my guitar player.

Although I was very happy and pleased with what we produced, there was still a part of me that yearned to play more thrashy stuff. I often thought about forming a second band to do the stuff I really wanted to do - but I never got round to it.

I don't believe band members go solo to break up a band, or to get more recognition all of the time - sometimes it's simply a means to express their own individual tastes.

Out of the bands I listen to, I can't think of many that have produced solo albums to be honest - but I do understand why sometimes someone will feel it necessary.

Having a band member release a solo project can sometimes help a band stick together - afterall, a band cannot continue if the members are unhappy and if a solo release is a means to allow someone to express themselves and remain happy in their band them I'm all for it.