PDA

View Full Version : Indifference

Redpyramidhead
Oct 21st, 2002, 09:14 PM
Indifference
I was inspired to keep sharing my stuff since my poem was well recieved so here's something new. This time I'm sharing a fanfic.
I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Sandman graphic novel series by Neil Gaiman, but whether you're a fan of the series or not I think you will enjoy this. (BTW, those who have read the Sandman comics would probably agree it would make a great subject for an RPG of some kind!) It's a gothic drama thriller! Enjoy!

Indifference

A young man sat upon a rock at a curve on the side of the road facing the woods which stretched out before him down a small hill. There was something endless about his aimless stare and something eternal about the way his chin was resting on his hand as if he was in deep thought. Yet, upon closer look, one would get the impression that his mind was empty, and nothing was truly left but his presently unreadable emotions. The sky was grey that day, completely overcast and it was cold, especially with the chill of the New England wind on this winter's afternoon. Relentless it was against skin, but he was showing total indifference.
So there a lonely figure sat...for hours on end. Then hours turned to days as it still sat motionless upon his rock, save for removing its clothes, bit by bit, until it was naked. It snowed lightly off and on. Flakes floating softly down and covering, blanketing it. For better or for worse, for shelter or for discomfort, it did not care.

She walked down the quiet road, long black curly hair flowing, pale yet warm face soft and non-threatening, and black dress flapping in the wind. Her eyes could not manage their usual spark this time and she did not know if she could smile for him. Not in her usual warm manner, atleast. His life was connected to her and her realm in ways she hadn't realized for years. Death had been following the progress of his life for the past year all up until this fateful happening caused by powerful enemies who her sisters dealt in the affairs of.

The dark cloak released from her fingers floated for a moment as it caught air before descending upon him and surrounding him in the first warmth he had felt in what seemed like forever. The snow dissappeared from him.

"Been waiting long?" Death asked softly.
"It was longer than I had expected," he managed in a whisper.
Death sat down beside him on a neighboring rock and pulled her knees up through her arms, resting her head on them and looking thoughtfully in his direction.
"Kind of like your life?" she offered, hoping it sounded reassuring. And it was the truth. It had not been a waste, but how could she make him see that?
"I suppose," he sighed.
"What happened, Ben? What happened here?" Death asked with dissapointment and frustrated concern. She already knew the answer.
"I...I'm not sure I remember...or even if I did...that I even know. Or maybe I know but don't want to admit it."
"You knew your actions would lead to this, Ben."
"I didn't know!" His face had become angry and violent. "I...I didn't care! Not anymore!" He growled and then glared into Death's eyes with as much fury as he could muster, but he sank back into himself. He had not the will to express those types of emotions into the face of Death. Few did. Her softness was too powerful, as was the look of care in her eyes. Blame lay not with her.
It was largely Death who had brought him this far and he had somehow always known it. He had not thought they had a name nor a face, but somehow he knew all along. And he knew this kind young woman in black would be here...to take the pain away, as he believed.
He had taken comfort in the darkness of her Realm in life just as much as the Realm of her siblings. Few respected her Realm in this way during life and Death appreciated it more than he knew. His thoughts had kept her company in such a lonely place. He had taken time to hear the sound of her wings. She owed him. At times when his thoughts would visit and drift through her Realm and caressed the lonely wounds of her existence and her purpose, she had wondered if she had loved him. Now she felt partially responsible for this outcome. The way Death had been woven in such a confused tangle into the circumstances leading to this tragic event which now lay full as life before them was too much to bare.

Death began to do something she usually did not when doing her job. She cried. Her tears spoke loudly against the reassurance she was supposed to make Ben feel. He began to panic, and to panic at this moment was crucial to his spirit's safety.
"You've been decieved, Ben..." she said as the tears trickled down over her hands which attempted to cover them.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Hylas
Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
That was scary! At least for me! Eek!
I haven't read the original graphic novel, so I have no ideas, but I'm quite interested now... Could you please tell me some more info about it?

Jolie
Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:57 PM
Wow! It seems like a Tim Burton movie but with more psychology in it! Very good!

Redpyramidhead
Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Hylas
That was scary! At least for me! Eek!
I haven't read the original graphic novel, so I have no ideas, but I'm quite interested now... Could you please tell me some more info about it?

Death is one of the "Endless." They are sort of like Gods, but not. Arguably, More important in some ways. They rule and watch over different realms which are concerned with the human race. Here's the best summary about the series anyone could give straight from Neil Gaiman's site:

http://neilgaiman.com/comics/essay_sandman.asp

As for my own story...more will become clear about the plot as it goes along.

_RED_ stuff

Black Heart
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't call it scary.... but I agree that it somewhat reminded me of Tim Burton, at least in few points. Especially the characters are somewhat "Burton-ish", but I guess it's thanks to the original source too.

Hylas
Oct 29th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info PyramidHead! I've found them very useful!

Redpyramidhead
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:11 PM
You are welcome Hylas:cool:

Unfortunately...any additions to this story are a little delayed...I've been really busy and full of writer's block... I'll get more posted as soon as the natural course of my brain lets me, though! In fact...maybe I'll get something down tonight.

_RED_ stuff

Rei
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Don't worry regarding the fact you haven't posted the other parts of your story. We're really patient here, and it's better to be inspired once in a while and write good stuff than writing a lot of stupid crap.... BTW, your story, at least for now, is really good and well written, and mysterious :)

Hylas
Oct 31st, 2002, 08:32 AM
Take your time and post when you have good ideas about your story! We can wait :laugh:

Ruby Moon
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:07 PM
There's something familiar to me about this fiction, but I don't remember if I've read the graphic novel you mentioned. It must be a feeling, I don't know, but the beginning of your story is really interesting. I'm waiting to read more :)