PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose names?

Jolie
Oct 16th, 2002, 10:07 AM
I'm seeing some people here have really weird names, so I'm wondering: how do you choose them? Does it have a particular meaning for you?

The Rhythmosaur
Oct 16th, 2002, 10:35 AM
I could only speak for myself, but it's easy for me:

As I went to school and started playing drums in our school band, I had a girlfriend who was actually a Dino Maniac. One day when we played at a school party, she watched us, and then, after several Scotch-Colas, she called me the Rhythmosaur. It was written on the Base of my good Tama-drums faster then I could prevent it.... Okay, I changed the drum head, but the name remained.

I think, even you had an idea why to choose "Jolie" - the french word for beautiful. Might be happened when you looked into a mirror...;)

He, he, he,

The Rhythmosaur.

Vic Viper
Oct 16th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Jolie
I'm seeing some people here have really weird names, so I'm wondering: how do you choose them? Do you have a particular meaning for you?

im probably on the minority but my name holds no meaning at all. the name just pops out of my head when i was registering for this site. crazy huh..:roll:

jjmoohead
Oct 16th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Mine comes from my real name. Johnathan James for the JJ and my last name is Moorehead so it came out as

jjmoohead

thats why people call me mooman or double J around here.

Sword 4 Hire
Oct 16th, 2002, 02:16 PM
In any RPG I've played I've noticed that the coolest most badass characters are the ones that care the least. The distant characters who talk more with their blades than their tongue. And 95% percent of these one in a million characters are normally Mercenaries or hired assassins so thats what my name means...

Sword 4 Hire

Carlito
Oct 16th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Just few words:

Carlito's way by Brian De Palma

kupoartist
Oct 16th, 2002, 03:18 PM
the_artist ... I chose it "because", but its real meaning is now offically a tribute to my Relm Arrowny fandom :happy: - it has almost zero relevence to the fact that I draw a little, because... I've only aproximated "good" in the past few months (I don't even taken art as a school subject).

Daedaelus
Oct 16th, 2002, 03:28 PM
I have a pet Iguana. :roll:

IcyMourdor
Oct 16th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Dispite what people say, it isn't based off something made by Tolkien.

I just made it up in my head and it sounded cool. Been about two or three years now and I use it for whatever I have my character in or the main character in a game.

Meaning: doesn't have one really, I heard it stands for dark knight, but i'm not sure if it really does.

Redpyramidhead
Oct 16th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Any fan of Silent Hill 2 will know where my name comes from. :cool:

_RED_ stuff

REChick14
Oct 16th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Well RE stands for Resident Evil. I just love that series so i put it on my name. The rest you can figure out. Im a girl and im 14. Thats about it to my name. Not that complicated right?...

AudioBoxer
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Well my name is kinda random, but at the time I liked the band TrikTurner, then before that I always used the name MilkMan, so I kinda put 2 and 2 together buy TrikTopz topz over MilkMan!

Beretta55
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:51 PM
um.....my name is simple i like the gun beretta and i just felt like putting 55 in there:laugh:

Frozen
Oct 16th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire
In any RPG I've played I've noticed that the coolest most badass characters are the ones that care the least. The distant characters who talk more with their blades than their tongue. And 95% percent of these one in a million characters are normally Mercenaries or hired assassins so thats what my name means...

Sword 4 Hire

Yours is one of the coolest and most original names I have ever seen. I could not agree more with what you said.

Mine..... when I was registering at this forums, I did not know what to put so I asked my friend Mena (now known as Zero Sniper) and she told me to put "Frozen" so I did :right: I like it, but unfortunately it did not come out from my own head.

Jolie, what is the meaning of yours?

Rei
Oct 17th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Eva fans know why I picked this name: I just love Rei Ayanami's character. Plus, this name is somewhat similar to my real name :laugh:

Cannibal Clown
Oct 17th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Cannibal Clown, not too sure, just sounded stupid so i agreed to take it as my name. It seems to work enough for me.

007_JamesBond
Oct 17th, 2002, 06:59 PM
well it is not as if I like bond or any thing, lol

Bond is my fav

Sid554
Oct 17th, 2002, 07:19 PM
My name has absolutely no meaning or significance at all.

MADRUCKIS
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:37 PM
MADRUCKIS

A name I got back in high school cause of my personality. When ever I was on the b-ball court or baseball diamond or football feild-you always heard my mouth talkin about your mother-or your breath-or how your mother is responsible for your breath......:phew:

The name stuck nowadays since I met my freinds who have similar names (MADDSKILLZ, MADBLACK, MADHERNAN) Now whenever someone says something very blunt or totally off the subject in rants they say "Oh. Sorry, the madruckis came outta me."
TEE HEE IM AN ADJECTIVE AND YOUR NOT:P

Hylas
Oct 18th, 2002, 10:53 AM
As I said in other occasions, Hylas probably has a meaning, but I don't know which one. I only know that it comes from a painting from the British artist J.W. Waterhouse called "Hylas and the nymphs". The Hylas of the painting was a boy, but who cares? :right:

Miki
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Miki is somewhat the abbreviation of my real name. People I know call me Miki all the time. I think it's cute, also if not much original, so I use it also on the web ^^;;

Rohamgh
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by REChick14
Well RE stands for Resident Evil. I just love that series so i put it on my name. The rest you can figure out. Im a girl and im 14. Thats about it to my name. Not that complicated right?...

1. What will you do when you turn 15?....
2. Berretas are aiight, but I prefer Desert Eagles...the feedback makes it feel like a real gun...or maybe it makes you feel like you've been shot.
3. My name here is derived from my real name: Roham and my last name which starts w/Gh. but in other places I am also known as The ROC (RO from ROham and C from Cool...ROCool...my nickname 4 a while), MC_ROC (emcee ROC), The Tiger (I am born in the year of the tiger...and i eat people :p), and The Emperor (I will soon become Emperor of the World)

FYI, I am 17

And I'm guessing Jolie is pretty

Jolie
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Yes, Jolie is French for pretty, but in reality I only picked it because it sounded nice and because it's also a sort of nickname I've had for many years, since I was younger.

Sword 4 Hire
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Frozen

Yours is one of the coolest and most original names I have ever seen. I could not agree more with what you said.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Here's a lil hint where this name first popped up...I've mentioned this once before but for those of you who never caught it the last time I'll repeat it. In the FFX strategy guide, under Yojimbo the term "sword for hire" pops up. Seeing as mercenaries are my favorite type of characters I just added a numeral in there when I was registering here and there you have it. So I guess I can't take full credit for the name...:laugh:

| Gotriunks |
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Well mine isnt really particular. I just got this Name from DBZ as mixing Gotenks with Gotri word. :disturb:

Sleazy P Martini
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Well I'm a sleazbag......and I drink.

Ruby Moon
Oct 21st, 2002, 11:24 AM
I just liked the way the words Ruby and Moon looked and sounded together. Then I've discovered this is the name of a chatater from the anime and manga Card Captor Sakura. Not bad...

Vasquez 1000
Oct 21st, 2002, 11:31 AM
I got my Username from Driver 2. The Bad guy who is named Vasquez. I Thought it sounded cool! I Just Added a 1000 and there ya go!:ghost:

RobHardo
Oct 21st, 2002, 11:55 AM
Well I' didnt feel like comin gup with something spectacular at that time so I just chose Solid: Snake I know, I know, no imagination was put into this except for maybe this : Bt on other forums i have cool names Like Mr. Nice or lt~GPilot

Pu the Owl
Oct 21st, 2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Solid: Snake
Well I' didnt feel like comin gup with something spectacular at that time so I just chose Solid: Snake I know, I know, no imagination was put into this except for maybe this : Bt on other forums i have cool names Like Mr. Nice or lt~GPilot

If you picked the name of a character you like, this doesn't mean you don't have imagination IMO. Of course there are many people who like the same characters, but this only means the game is really appreciated by a large number of players, no?

Frozen
Oct 21st, 2002, 04:01 PM
What's the origin of your nick, Fortune?

Daniel Legge
Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
well i think you can guess how i picked my name.

Noki Noki
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:30 PM
As I understood, Loki was the Norse God of mischief..

And since Loki wasn't original, I stole an N, and added an extra "Noki" for emphasis. o_O

Frozen
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:02 PM
Then I bet you watched "The Mask" and loved it. that's a cool name. And welcome, BTW.

kupoartist
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Noki Noki
As I understood, Loki was the Norse God of mischief..
wasn't Loki also the Angel of Death in "the Bible" and all associated works? or am I just completely doolalay?

Daedaelus
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by the_artist

wasn't Loki also the Angel of Death in "the Bible" and all associated works? or am I just completely doolalay?

You're right Artist

Noki Noki
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:59 PM
'Tank you, Mither Frozen ^.^
I've never seen The Mask though.. only Jim Carrey movie I've ever got a hold of was Liar, Liar (loved it too)

Didn't catch the biblical reference.. ^_^
Glad someone pointed it out.

Pu the Owl
Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:30 PM
What's the origin of your nick, Fortune?

Nothing great: I wanted a name from a videogame character for this forum, and I think I was playing MGS2, so... btw, the name is good, the problem is that I easily get tired of names :heh:

EDIT: Noki Noki is a cute name :D

Lost_myth
Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
I originally had Lost_myth but I grew to like my Renegade name even more. So it was so. Inspiration, sounds cool, same ol' same ol'.

Black Heart
Oct 24th, 2002, 08:53 PM
I have no idea for the reasons that make me choose a name. I guess I just like the sound and in some cases the meaning of it, but all my names have no particular stories.

Frozen
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Fortune

Nothing great: I wanted a name from a videogame character for this forum, and I think I was playing MGS2, so... btw, the name is good, the problem is that I easily get tired of names :heh:

EDIT: Noki Noki is a cute name :D

That's what I thought, but I was curious if maybe there was another reason not as obvious as that one. :D

As for Noki, if you watch "The Mask" you'll see exactly what Noki noki said at first :D I've never seen "The Bible" tho.

MakgSnake
Oct 27th, 2002, 10:35 PM
My name's initials are M A K G, so I get my MAK.G from there and I got the snake because once I visited Thailand and saw this snake show there, and was totally hooked to it and thought if I ever make a user name for a forum, I'll make sure the name "Snake" is in it.

Frozen
Oct 28th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
I got the snake because once I visited Thailand and saw this snake show there, and was totally hooked to it and thought if I ever make a user name for a forum, I'll make sure the name "Snake" is in it.

Riiight:sarcasm:

Actually, your initials put up together look pretty cool. Another quite original name IMO :D

The Rhythmosaur
Oct 28th, 2002, 09:00 AM
What I would not have believed in is the fact that most of us do not realy have a connection between there personality in real life (or in their games) and their choosen names.

I´d like to know the reason for it.
It seems to me strange, because I kept thinking, when you´re given the oportunity to choose your name, you´d chose in most cases a name that either fits to you or to what you´d like to be, a name, just like - yeah, that´s me.

Obviously, I am wrong...

The Rhythmosaur

MakgSnake
Oct 28th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Actually, your initials put up together look pretty cool. Another quite original name IMO :D

Thanks yo, yours cool too (You know "COOL" --> Frozen) No seriously, its really nice! At first I thought you were a big Madonna fan and thats why got that name. Stupid me :P

Pu the Owl
Oct 29th, 2002, 09:03 PM

That's what I thought, but I was curious if maybe there was another reason not as obvious as that one. :D

Yeah, I know the reason was quite obvious. I prefer using other names when I use messengers and so on, but I thought it was better to pick one from a very famous PS2 videogame for this place :right:

BTW, I'm the opposite of a "Lady Luck" in real life, so I find the name kinda ironic after all :P

MakgSnake
Oct 29th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Fortune
Nothing great: I wanted a name from a videogame character for this forum
One other reason was that you wanted to keep a name that would suit both gender, male and female, so you could use avatars from both sexes. Everybody fav character doesn't have to be same sex they are.

Am I right?... I just recalled it.

Pu the Owl
Oct 29th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Yes, that's right. I could have picked another name as well at that time, but this one just sounded pretty decent both for male and female. I remember people calling me "dude" or "man" just because I had an avatar with a male character in it (sometimes they thought it was myself in the avatar lol). This means the name's working fine :laugh:

FlexMasterRice
Oct 31st, 2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by | Gotriunks |
Well mine isnt really particular. I just got this Name from DBZ as mixing Gotenks with Gotri word. :disturb:

ELVA IS F'n HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll: I used to live in Taipei Taiwan and she makes me shiver. DAYAMN!!!!

TW REPREZENT.

FlexMasterRice
Oct 31st, 2002, 12:30 AM
By the way, about my name:

I can flex. (not really, but it sounds funny)
I'm the master.
And rice is the shit. it feeds more than a million people everyday.

and when you put these all together.....doesn't it make you wanna laugh?

Rei
Oct 31st, 2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by flex master rice
By the way, about my name:

I can flex. (not really, but it sounds funny)
I'm the master.
And rice is the shit. it feeds more than a million people everyday.

and when you put these all together.....doesn't it make you wanna laugh?

Basically, you're saying you picked 3 random words, right? The name is funny, yes.

FlexMasterRice
Oct 31st, 2002, 06:34 PM
no no, look carefully.....it's three random funny words. so in a sense it's controlled randomness...if that makes any sense.

and they just sound so damn good together!:cool:

Cannibal Clown
Nov 1st, 2002, 02:29 PM
i don't bother trying to choose games. I let SSSnake do it for me. He ends up buying just about every good game less than a week after it comes out and has me play them to death until i beat em.

Currently, as he plays gta vc
I play the thing for xbox and mario sunshine for game cube

Elmyra
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:43 AM
This name comes from a character of Final Fantasy 7, Aerith's mother.