PDA

View Full Version : Fruits Basket question

Ruby Moon
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:37 PM
I've started reading the manga, and I'd like to know what are the main differences with the anime? If anyone could reply, I'd be interested in knowing it :P

merylsilverburg
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Aaaahh! I love Fruits Basket!! :love: Well, Ruby...there aren't that much differences...

1) The drawings (obviously) are quite different, in style.

2) The story are basically alike....of course, there are some plots in the anime that are not in the manga.

3) The anime ends right in Book 7/8. However, the manga continues with the story.

If I wasn't quite clear :heh: or if you'd like to know more, please feel free to ask. :)

Ruby Moon
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:06 PM
The anime is 26 episodes long, am I right? Are the characters' appearances alike or there are differences, like for example characters appearing in different moments of the series (I'm talking comparing the manga and the anime)?

merylsilverburg
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Yes, the anime is 26 episodes long. As for characters..let's see....I haven't quite looked through the mangas, so I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the characters are introduced the same in both the manga and anime. I will check for you and see and then reply back here. I'm sorry I wasn't that helpful....the anime is just so good that I've been watching it more than reading the manga. :heh:

Ruby Moon
Oct 4th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Don't worry, I was asking in case I decide to get the anime too. I know some series are really different from manga to anime, and this is disappointing for some of them, for example when lots of events are deleted in the manga or in the anime and you loved these events happening. I was curious about the first appearance of the characters, because some of them appear in a really peculiar and strange way, so I would be happy to see the same thing also in the anime!

merylsilverburg
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:17 PM
I know what you mean. I will still try to look it for you, it's not a problem. :)

merylsilverburg
Oct 5th, 2002, 10:14 PM
My deepest apologies for double posting, everyone, but I just wanted Ruby to take a look at this in case she still wants this:

Manga:

Book 1: Tohru, Yuki, Saki, Arisa, Shigure, Kyo, and Kagura make their appearances. Kagura actually makes her appearance in Episode 5 of the anime.

Book 2: Momiji, Hatori, and Akito. Akito only briefly appears.

Book 3: Hatsuharu and Okami. Some changes in this: In the anime, only Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo go on the trip to the hot springs, but in the manga Kagura follows along.

Book 4: Akito makes his major appearance. We are introduced to Ayame...Yuki's older brother.

Book 5: Kisa, Megumi (Saki's little brother), and the three girls of the Prince Yuki fanclub.

Book 6: Kyo's master (forgot his name :heh: ) and Ayame's assistant, Mine are introduced. Kyo's master appearing in the anime is actually near the end, around episodes 24-26, 26 being the last episode. The manga continues with the story.

Book 7: Hiro

Book 8: Ritsu

There aren't much differences or changes between the manga and anime, except the whole ending to the anime is actually in Book 6 of the manga.

In case you want a reference on who's who, I listed off the characters and their jyunnishi (zodiac) counter-parts. Notice there are only 10 while the real zodiac has 12 members. Two members have not appeared in either manga and anime, so the chicken and horse are not listed. SPOILERS ahead, but if you would like to read it, be my guest. :)

Tohru: Onigiri or Rice Ball (not a part of the zodiac)

Yuki: Rat

Kyo: Cat (not a part of the zodiac)

Kagura: Boar

Shigure: Dog

Momiji: Rabbit

Hatsuharu: Cow

Ayame: Snake

Hatori: Dragon (in the manga and anime, depicted as a seahorse)

Kisa: Tiger

Hiro: Sheep

Ritsu: Monkey

Kyo's Master: Chicken (rumored to be)

???: Horse

Saki: Flower (not a part of zodiac, but her symbol)

Arisa: Fish (not a part of zodiac, but her symbol)

I hope this helps. :)

Pu the Owl
Oct 11th, 2002, 06:46 PM
I was wondering about the same thing, kinda, but since I'm both reading the manga ( only book 1 at the moment :P ) and watching the anime, I was thinking about being patient and wait for the rest.