PDA

View Full Version : 1500 episodes

Cannibal Clown
Feb 8th, 2002, 06:00 PM
I've heard a lot of people say that DBZ is one of the best animes out there simply because of the fact that it has such a long story and more episodes that the 200+ sailor moon series.

Then I can apon a show which consisted of more than 1500 episodes, each one consisting of a new animation opening every episode. I heard about this anime several months ago but could nevr remember what it was called.

I finally found it again. It was called Sazae-san. I don't know if anybody here cares, but I just thought that the mere fact of a 1500 episode series was kinda cool.

Does anybody here have anything they want to say about it. Or if they know what it is, or even if my sources are wrong and they can correct me.

Hylas
Feb 8th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Being honest, I don't think series with a lare number of episodes are good.
They suffer a lot for this reason, because they can't be much varied. I think DBZ and Sailor Moon are probably the worst series I've watched in my life, because they're very repetitive and they lack of invention. They're based on the repetition of the same scheme till the end. It annoys me. They're also much more commercial than other series, because of their seriality.

The best series I know are not very long: for example Cowboy Bebop is 26 episodes, same goes for Evangelion, Trigun is only 23 episodes.
This explains it all.

Rei
Feb 8th, 2002, 06:40 PM
More episodes = Less quality
No more than 50 episodes for a very good series.

IcyMourdor
Feb 8th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Quality fails after 100 episodes. DBZ is the only one that I like above 50.

Rei
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Mourdor
Quality fails after 100 episodes.

Exactly.
I've watched many series with 100+ episodes and they don't have great plot. It's obvious that a staff can't take care both of quality and serial aspect. As it happens for Soap Operas :D There are many fans of Soap Operas, but it doesn't mean they're good.

Cannibal Clown
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Actually, just about every anime series is 26 epoisodes long. Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop(Not including Session 0 and 27), Tenchi Universe, Outlaw Star, Record of Lodoss War, Big O, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Bubble Gum Crisis(All Versions) and many MANY others which I can think of right now.

Oh, and I could've sworn that Trigun was a 26 episode series as well. In case you were wondering why so many shows only have 26 episodes, I read up that it's because 26 is the axact number of on television season.

But some very cool series were longer than 26 episodes, like Gundam Wing, Ranma 1/2, and a few others. But I think that DBZ has a cool story. It does get VEEEEEERRRRRRRRYYYY repetitive though, but if you just go along with the show, you will see that it has great character development, the bad guys are very well done and in depth, and from begining to end you can see tremendous transformations of characters personality as the series goes on.

But DBZ gets too much credit. Considering that the reason they have such an in depth story line and such deep characters is because they have SOOOOO many episodes to cram it all in with.

But I agree that the best ones are the classics like Bbop, Eva and Escaflowne. Short, to the point, and always high quality. But i still love Gundam Wing, and it only gets up to 49 episodes so it doesn't reach the fifty mark, so it's in the clear according to Rei. If you don't count the movie of coarse.

Rei
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Yes, 26 episodes is average lenght for many anime series.
Maybe for that reason sometimes few episodes are added to series that could have been shorter (for exaple the first episodes of Trigun are kinda optional and also some Eva episode that isn't in the manga plus other examples I don't want to mention).

I also know some series that are a little longer than 50 episodes, for example One Piece is 52 and it's still an awesome series, if you like the genre.

While for DBZ I have to disagree, once again. I don't think there's so much development in characters and they're kinda each others' repetitions. About villains, I don't think they're so original.
Nothing new comes after Freeza. And Cell is the worst among them IMO.
Not counting DB Gt which is even worse....

BowevelJoe
Feb 8th, 2002, 10:22 PM
yeah some animes are way to drawn out, but some animes can take the beating of having a long series Rurouni Kenshin was a sweet ass series, i loved every eps of it, other people may not but i guess its because im into that feudal japen era.

DBZ- Is DEAD, there is no more DBZ, its a comic book now, AF if youve heard of it is in comic book form, the animated version of the show is dead, no more....so thats that i guess, it was cancelled and now they play some show called Dr. Slump, Shlump, something like that, which is WAY WAY worse than DBZ could have ever been...

Spirit
Feb 8th, 2002, 10:28 PM
dbz is 1500 episodes? whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa soap opera

Pu the Owl
Feb 9th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Dr. is worse than DBZ yes, but it's also made for a younger audience.

In general I agree with those who said that quality fails after a certain number of episodes.

Cannibal Clown
Feb 9th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by spiritslayer
dbz is 1500 episodes? whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa soap opera
No buddy. You read wrong, I'm comparing DBZ which is a relatively long series to another show which has 1500 episodes. DBZ has no where near that much. I'm talking about Sazae-san.

Carlito
Feb 9th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Well I actually only liked the first DB series, the one with the young Goku.

The other series are just industrial productions like soap operas.
Can you please tell me why all the characters in Dragon Ball look identical? And please, don't tell me that this is not true. There are, let's say 7-8 types of characters and you can easily put one character within one of these types. And it's not obvious that all Goku's descendants look identical.

I think AKira Toriyama has lost good part of his creativity. On the other hand, he is surely the richest mangaka around.

And I don't want to talk about Sailor Moon. I hate everything in that anime, FIRST OF ALL the main character - the first time I saw her hair I was filled with rage, for some unexplicable reason.

Zelgadis
Feb 15th, 2002, 09:53 PM
lmao dbz and sailor moon are so damn gay
but no for real anyone ever heard of saint seiya? it has 300 somthing eps demn cool anime K-I-L-L-S DBZ
i would give $300+ just 2 get all eps :)

Pu the Owl
Feb 15th, 2002, 10:00 PM
I know Saint Seya very well. I've watched it some years ago, back in the 80s.
I've always hated it, because I hate the main character.