PDA

View Full Version : "Anime Fans"

merylsilverburg
Sep 12th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Today at school, I had an unfortunate encounter with this guy at lunch. I was drawing when he walked by and saw my picture and just sat down in awe and asked me questions about it. He then asked if I watch a lot of anime and if I was a die-hard fan. I thought about it for a minute and decided to say 'yes' because I know that I go to extreme lengths to find out any information about any new anime and I just go all obsessive. :heh: He was all happy with me and everything and then he began to say to me that he is also a die-hard anime fan since he watches all the stuff on Cartoon Network and then he went off and began to talk to me about DBZ. I listened to him for a while and then I began to ask him if he's seen Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion, and Rurouni Kenshin. He said he's seen CB but didn't like it that much and that he's never seen or heard of Trigun, Evangelion, or Rurouni Kenshin. What he said next nearly made me faint: "That's probably because they're not very popular". I was all like :blink: and I began to explain to him that those animes are, in fact, extremely popular and if you're a fan, you would definitely would've watched at least one episode. Then he argued with me that if they were so popular, how come they don't run on Cartoon Network or anything like that...he said how do the companies expect for everyone to watch every anime, so of course they put the most popular ones on Cartoon Network where everyone will see it. Now...I was just sittting there completely dumbfounded, because I always seem to encounter people like this who say they're "die-hard fans" but only seen the ones that are shown or are mostly mainstream anime. I'm not saying that no one is a fan if they don't see anything else except those, because I know about lack of money or some other reason, but when someone says they're a "die-hard fan" I except them to be a "die-hard fan". But, that never seems to be the case! I always encounter people like this and they see me as fools because I suggest or name off an anime that they've never even heard of before. So, now....what do you guys make of this? Do you think that everyone's view of a "die-hard fan" is completey different? Like this guy...he considers himself a "dhf" because he sees only those and thinks they're the most popular so he's a major fan...would that just be acceptable or is it better to say that in order to be a major fan, you have to watch many, many, many animes? And lastly...what do you guys consider yourselves?

Frozen
Sep 12th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Beginning with the last question, I don't consider myself as a die-hard fan. I just like anime a lot, and is one of the things I most enjoy whn watching.

People is just sometiems ignorant. And just remember this: Fools will always be heard from afar, but wise men will hardly say a word (there's a saying that goes mroe or less like that XD )

People who usually talks too much and have their mouths full of s*** :laugh:

I just consider him an ignorant. Just like myself. But at least I accept this truth. I've seen some animes, yes, and I like them a lot, but that does not make me a die-hard fan at all. To be a real otaku I'd have to be always dressing stuff related to anime, have my room's walls completely full of anime posters, have it full of plushies, etc. etc. etc............ and of course, have a real vast knowledge of anime. Who I would call a die hard fan of anime is one of the moderators at AnimeNation who calls herself "Gatomon" Look for her ans you'll more or less understand what I mean. She's watched hundreds of anime as for what she claims. I think her words are trusty since she's like 40 years old, so she's got the money and time, I guess. Well, I just mentioned her to post an example.

But I'm not sure if the "die-hard fan" term applies to anime in general. You can be a die hard fan of a certain anime series, a certain video game, a certain movie.......... well, I'm not too sure about that myself.

Just ignore him. You own him :laugh: (but remember that a certain someone owns you as well :laugh: XD )

Beretta55
Sep 12th, 2002, 11:59 PM
no way am i a die-hard anime fan! i havent seen too many animes only some on toonami and other places plus i dont have the money to buy the dvd's and whatnot so i say im not a die-hard fan im just a dude who likes anime.

merylsilverburg
Sep 13th, 2002, 12:52 AM
Yeah, see that guy is ignorant and he has no idea what real die-hard anime fans are! I admit that I'm not a total die-hard anime fan, but in my town, I probably am. Oh, but this guy...unbelievable. :shock: I know for a fact that compared to millions and millions of anime fans in the world, I'm just an ignorant novice, so I don't go around boasting about how much anime I know. I do hope that one day I will gain enough knowledge of animes so that I can call myself a true die-hard fan, but that probably won't happen for many many years.

BlackThornn
Sep 13th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Last question first, I consider myself just a fan. Not a DHF.

Now, that guy just sounds like an ignorant "I try and watch all I can on network TV so I must be a die hard fan" type guy.. these guys infect everything, unfortunately, and they're depressingly common. Supposed "Hardcore Gamers" who only own three games and don't know what the hell is going on in the industry go hand in hand with "Die Hard Anime Fans" who don't know about very popular anime titles like Neon Genesis Evangelion and the others mentioned. Pay the fool no mind, Meryl.

If you can't help but get irked by him though, and he brings up that idiotic "If it's so popular why isn't it out on CN yet?" argument, tell him that Cartoon Network doesn't pick them up because they don't have the assets to purchase the rights and/or the content is too mature to be shown on that network anywhere save Adult Swim or Midnight Run (I wouldn't know any more, since I have long sinced abandoned the hamster cartoons, DBZ and censorship that is Cartoon Network). If I'm not mistaken Pokemon was/is one of the most successful anime franchises out there (undeniable, unfortunately) and it's not shown on Cartoon Network.. Neither is Digimon. Hell, most anime hasn't been shown on cartoon network period. Ask him next time how did anime survive if only the Cartoon Network cartoons were "truly popular" when they only started showing them a couple of years ago..

Frozen
Sep 13th, 2002, 02:16 AM
What really bugs me is that many ppl say that Cartoon Network is anawsome source for anime :frust: I have always hated that channel. And DBZ unfortunately fell in those terrible hands.

Why does not ppl understand that CN SUCKS! (as an anime source)

But hey Meryl-chan, don't let that guy piss you off or anything....... I kind of feel some sort of remote shame for the guy :laugh:

Hylas
Sep 13th, 2002, 05:14 AM
People like that guy really make me laugh! They don't even know what they're talking about but they like to think they know anything! Just ignore them, because there's no way to explain them they don't even know what anime is. As there's no way to make them think about the possibility to watch other shows to understand japanese animation and its variety.
They will ever keep on thinking that DBZ is the ultimate anime and other things are crap 'cause they can't watch them on their usual channel. They don't even take the time to think they're wrong or that there are other better sources to see anime. They're just plain ignorant. It's not even funny to talk to them for the only reason they won't listen to you, they just listen to other people with their same tastes or "knowledge". Simply boring :P

merylsilverburg
Sep 13th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, BlackThornn...you're very right, but I was too pissed and shocked to think of anything to say yesterday. Today when I saw him at lunch, he was wearing this DBZ shirt but he didn't come by to "chat" anymore...that's probably because he thought I was too stupid to understand him. Argh....that's okay that he didn't come by, otherwise we would've gotten into a major argument again and probably get sent to our Deans. :sarcasm: It's people like that that I just literally wanna smack silly for their stupidity. :frust:

And Frozen-sama...tell me about it. Everyone in my town is always saying CN is the source of anime. It's either that or the Bebop series on Adult Swim and they think "Wow...am I cool or what?" It's really quite frustrating. All the animes that they show on CN are just....well...I dunno what to call them exacty, but they used to show Outlaw Star (probably edited) and The Big O. Now, see......those two shows are actually anime, but surprisingly enough, those two were booted out of the schedule to be replaced by more DBZ. *faints* How annoying is that? I honestly respect DBZ as an anime, but omg, how much do you need?

Hylas: You're right too...people like these only listen to people with the same "knowledge" as them. I remember during my Sophmore year, I talked to these two girls who supposedly said they were DHFs too...but...the ones they mostly talked about and was crazy about was Ranma 1/2. I've seen Ranma...I like it in a small way....but I decided to ask if they've seen any other stuff. They've seen Blue Seed, Cardcaptor, Evangelion, Ah! My Goddess, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo....but they didn't see Cowboy Bebop or Trigun (Trigun just being released but extremely popular already)....I explained to them what they were but they brushed it off because it was too "guyish" and too much "mindless action". :frust:

Frozen
Sep 13th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Hmm, but then should everyone know Trigun and Bebop in order to be a fan?

About DBZ... you should give the sucker and opportunity of being watched. :D

But I think it is, as you said, quite frustrating that they quit featuring Outlaw Star and CB just to show more DBZ... that sucks. I've seen just one chapter of Outlaw Star and it seemed absolutely cool, and so was with Cowboy Bebop. I love DBZ, but I hate it whenever they change soem series to present another. Widen the damn Adult Swim time!

Is like, some years ago.... they had DB and DBZ on TV, and I was enjoying it so much... then some mother$%^$ decided to change the two for guess what.... POKEMON AND DIGIMON. The two anime series I hate with the heart.

That was real disgusting.

The bad thing with this stupid guy is that he may talk badly about you saying that you are ignorant or anything because you know why. (when he's the stupid ignorant)

Don't let that fact surprise you if it happens.

merylsilverburg
Sep 14th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Frozen
Hmm, but then should everyone know Trigun and Bebop in order to be a fan?

Well, if you think about it....those two girls mostly watched the mainstream anime...you know...the ones that are mostly popular and most widely known. And since Trigun around that time was becoming very popular, you'd think that they would've heard about it at least from someone or seen the cover if they were DHF as they say. I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't watch Trigun or Bebop could never be a fan...but these two girls never even heard of it or if they did, they ignored it for the fact that they thought it was probably something stupid without actually hearing what it was about first. And with them saying they're DHF....it doesn't make them seem very DH because they're really particular about what interests them. I guess I'm not making any sense at all.

About DBZ... you should give the sucker and opportunity of being watched. :D

I'm confused by this. :confused:

But I think it is, as you said, quite frustrating that they quit featuring Outlaw Star and CB just to show more DBZ... that sucks. I've seen just one chapter of Outlaw Star and it seemed absolutely cool, and so was with Cowboy Bebop. I love DBZ, but I hate it whenever they change soem series to present another. Widen the damn Adult Swim time!

I never said they stopped showing Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop...I said Outlaw Star and The Big O. These two were shown on the Midnight Run on CN around the end of 2000/ beginning of 2001. Cowboy Bebop, on the other hand, didn't get shown until the end of 2001/beginning of 2002....when they started the Adult Swim. They finished airing all 26 shows already, so they probably took it out of the Adult Swim now. But anyway, back then around 2000/2001, they used to show Outlaw Star and The Big O....these two shows were replaced by DBZ after all the episodes of The Big O had been run and some of the episodes of Outlaw Star had been shown (I'm not sure when, I never was able to catch an episode). It was very upsetting for some people because I think the Outlaw Star series was beginning to pick up and then they just cut it.

Is like, some years ago.... they had DB and DBZ on TV, and I was enjoying it so much... then some mother$%^$ decided to change the two for guess what.... POKEMON AND DIGIMON. The two anime series I hate with the heart.

That was real disgusting.

Whatever is becoming the most popular or whatever is popular they replace any show with it. That's why that ignorant guy at my school made that point. But still....though DB and DBZ were replaced by these two shows a while back...I believe Pokemon has disappeared (right?) now but I think Digimon is still going...even so, DB and DBZ is still the number 1 anime show of CN. Back then....even Pokemon and Digimon replaced Sailormoon ....which upsetted many, many fans because for one, this show was extremely popular and second, they were starting to get into the later episodes where Haruka and Michiru and Sailor Pluto (I forget her real name) began to appear. But even with the issue of whether young audiences were able to take the lesbianism of the two, CN was still planning on showing the rest. However, it got booted out by Pokemon and Digimon, so I understand your frustration.

The bad thing with this stupid guy is that he may talk badly about you saying that you are ignorant or anything because you know why. (when he's the stupid ignorant)

Don't let that fact surprise you if it happens.

Back to my topic (which I kinda strayed off for a moment there :heh: ) yeah, I'm not and won't be surprised if he spat that out on our next encounter, if it ever happens. I don't believe that people like that will ever get a reality check but still, if he considers himself a die-hard fan because of those shows he watches, then let him be. I'm just sorry I won't be there if he goes to some real fans one day and said the same things to them. :D

Cannibal Clown
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:56 AM
No doubt about it, I am one of the greatest hard core anime fan i know. If not number one. I don't make a lot of money, so i don't have that much anime, and where i live makes it impossible to buy the cool collecters stuff, like cell drawings, and mangas and whatnot, but all in all i've only spent about $1,400 on japanimation. But i don look up info on new series everyday over the internet, download tons and tons of songs from variuous aniume series, even ones i've never heard of before. And i easily draw up to four or five pictures a day, all of em anime style. And apperently i'm really good at it. I do my best to spend as much as i can on anime, anticipating the end of this month, where hellsing vol 2 comes out, and the second half of the eva movie, End of Evangelion comes out. And i just recently bought a $200 box set of the Tenkuu no Escaflowne series, limited addition, only 10000 made, and i got number 107, yay.

But with me needing to save up for college, a car, and school expenses, i'm not really able to buy a lot of anime these days.

I've only been into anime for a little over 2 years now, and I know that you can be a die hard anime fan without having any of it, or knowing of anything beyond toonami and the adult swim.

Frozen
Sep 14th, 2002, 10:00 PM
About DBZ... you should give the sucker and opportunity of being watched.

I'm confused by this. :confused:

I just meant that if Dragon Ball has been shown so much on TV you should give it a try and watch it :D

and my point of DB being replaced by Poke and Digi f*** is more or less like it happened with Outlaw tar: They had still not finished showing the whole Cell saga, and whenever they were going to start shoing the Cell games, then next day I saw with a terrified expression in my face that the TV shows I hate the most were being shown instead of one of the most important parts of the DBZ series. I don't want to tell you how pissed I was back then (but that wasn't with Cartoon Network, DBZ looks and sounds like s*** with that disgusting dubbing, I saw a different (and million times better dubbing) when I lived in south america. but evil people is found everywhere, I guess :disturb:

And yes, poor guy whenever he finds himself infront of a real DH anime fan :laugh: