PDA

View Full Version : 2 in 1.

happy_doughnut
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Or more...
As many of you know, there are many questions that are brought onto the forums, some of which may be repetitive and whatnot.
The questions : " What is Life " or " What's the meaning of life " have all been asked at some point or another.
I think that at many times, those answers are not absolute, as some may want them to be, for they are mere opinions and opinions aren't actual facts. Rather, they are things that are subjective and controversial.

Anyhow, I would like to ask a couple of things about life... Not things in which ' right ' or ' wrong ' answers can be determined, but just your opinions.

First off, is ' hope ' a dependable thing in life or is it a mere uncertainty ?
Is there really a thing such as ' self-esteem ' or is that just another way of saying : ' Oh, don't be mean... you'll hurt me !! '
And lastly, why do you keep on living ?
In other words, what compells you or encourages you to stay alive and not want to kill yourself ? o_O;;

IcyMourdor
Sep 7th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by ZeroSniper
Is there really a thing such as ' self-esteem ' or is that just another way of saying : ' Oh, don't be mean... you'll hurt me !! '
In other words, what compells you or encourages you to stay alive and not want to kill yourself ? o_O;;

Hope is just blind faith. Not to sound cruel, but hope are for those who can't do what they want and need things to just happen in their favor.

Self-esteem is a psychologist's term for how we feel about ourselves. Pride is a major factor in this. Self-esteem is another thing like hope that people falsly cling to to make themselves feel better.

Why do I keep on living? I have much to experience in this life yet. I have no idea what happens when I die, so I try to live my live to the fullest, even if it means just hanging out with friends.

BlackThornn
Sep 7th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Hope exists, but it's not dependable. Hoping for things is healthy, even if it exposes you to hurt when they DON'T happen, but pain builds character, as they say. Having hope leaves you open to pain, not having any hopes will probably lead to stress baldness.

Mourdor.. I seriously have to disagree with you about your views on self-esteem.. it's not just pride, it's not feeling like utter **** when you think about your life and who you are. It's vital to be a healthy person to have at least moderate self-esteem. I know this for a fact because in early high school years my self esteem, were it on a number line, would have been something like -20, with +50 being normal, had frequent suicidal thoughts and let myself get pretty much spherical because of low self image for a long while.. That's NOT healthy.. and that's basically what happens when people get low self-esteem. Terminology or not it's vital to not loathe yourself.

I keep on living because life was given to us by something, and like Mourdor I don't know what awaits us when we die (though I'm sure it's something.. as I've stated in other threads). I go on living because I don't want to lose those I love now and I don't want to leave them alone.

merylsilverburg
Sep 7th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by ZeroSniper

Mere uncertainty...that's the plain truth. Hope is completely false. All it is is just a word for those people to have something to depend on and look forward to, which sadly will probably never happen. I used to believe in hope but quickly lost it after a series of events took place in my life at a young age. "Hope" is fiction and "Dreams" are false...in order for your dreams to come true, you need to work for it, you can't wait for it to happen.

Well, self-esteem does exist because it's something that we view of ourselves and the results of our efforts and hard work. When someone praises you, it boosts your self-esteem because you feel like your efforts have paid off and you've done it well enough for people to actually notice it. When someone says they like you or compliments you, it makes you feel nice because you feel you're worthy enough to be noticed. Self-esteem exists in all people, though there are many other forms than the ones I mentioned above.

This is a pretty tough question. Well, what I think: The will and reasons to continue living instead of committing suicide and forgetting all your problems are all different within people. Some people continue living because they have a certain goal to reach no matter what blocks their path; they'll continue to strive forward to achieve it and nothing will stop them. Others may continue to live because they don't care what goes on in their life...they just know they're here on earth so they'll just take each day until the day they die. Some people continue to live because they enjoy life....even if things gets in their way and makes them gloomy or depressed, they still want to enjoy life to the fullest and know that bad things are just a part of the road or journey, so they won't let things like that get them down. And, some continue to live because they're too cowardly to take their own lives, so they live each day even though they hate it with all their might. There are even some people who hate every single day and would like to commit suicide, but deep down, has that slight optimism that maybe someday things will become better if they continue to live and see. That "optimism" is "hope" and though it's false, it's admirable that these certain people keep this with themselves and are able to get through the rest of their lives just to see if it'll come true. Ah, there are so many reasons, but from my knowledge of studying people these may be the most basic ones. I'm still young, so if what I said is false, then I apologize for my simple-minded observations. :heh:

Pu the Owl
Sep 7th, 2002, 06:26 AM
That's a pretty tough theme, as meryl said.

Hope to me is a quite irrational thing that is not dependable, but, as BlackThornn said, is healthy 'cause it makes you wish in better things to come. Having no hopes means you passed the limits that bring to blind desperation.

Self-esteem to me means acceptance towards your ego, or at least it's the proof you don't despise the person you are. High self-esteem and pride are not the same thing anyway, but a person who has really low self-esteem for sure can't be proud. They're somewhat connected, but they're not identical. I'd say pride comes after you gain a certain amount of self-esteem, but I'd say also that pride can be a temporary disposition (foe example being proud of something you did) while self-esteem is more a natural condition that can increase or decrease in certain situations, but remains almost the same during your life.

About the question "Why do you keep on living" I frankly have no clue. Or at least, this seems a more personal question, so it'd be really long to give an explanation and this would be not the right place for my personal rants:laugh:
I'd skip this one, but for a more general answer, I agree, more or less, with meryl's post, so I won't post a clone of her reply :D

Cannibal Clown
Sep 7th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Hmm... let me think about this.

Hope:
I hate hope. Hope seems to do nothing more than give me grief. Whenevere i hope for something, or look forward to something, it usually blows up in my face and makes me feel real bad becaue of yet another thing in my life that goes wrong.

Self Esteem:
I don't know the meaning, i have none. No reason to feel good about myself, and whenever i do, that whole hope, or anticipation thing happens, and i find myself feeling worse about myself than i did before.

Life:
I hate my life, and all in all, other than my friends, there is no real reason why i want to keep on living.

Oh well, that's that.

JC Denton
Sep 7th, 2002, 02:50 PM
thats a shame CC, but put if this way if someone would miss you if you died, then isn't that a reason to stay alive,

and self esteem is very important i think, whithout it you can feel good about yourself, and if you can't like yourself then you will never be able to get anyone else to like you.

hope is neccesery, without it you could achieve nothing, but it is still a sign of naiveity, if you can rise above hoping and start actively working towards something then you will really get somewhere, but hope still has many meanings.

you only get one life so why shorten it, other people keep you wanting to be alive, self esteem also leads to wanting to be alive and hope does too.

edit: oh yeah, and dragon ball z

Gadzoox
Sep 7th, 2002, 03:30 PM
David Bowie.

Hylas
Sep 8th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Hope is necessary part of your life. If have no hopes, you can't expect anything good to happen in your life. It's not irrational, as many said, in fact some people hope and work hard to make their hopes come true.

Self-esteem is being satisfied with the things you have and with the person you are. It means you know your possibilities and you're self-confident.

I keep on living because I enjoy my life. Do I need to say more?