PDA

View Full Version : PS2 and XBox Price cuts!

Spank-A-Thon
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:29 AM
As taken from here (http://www.gamesradar.com/news/default.asp?pagetype=2&subsectionid=159&articleid=64007).
[28/08/2002: 11:58]
Console war taken to the next level: hot on the heels of the PS2 price drop, Xbox is now £40 cheaper

Within moments of our speculation that Microsoft may be dropping the price of Xbox to mirror the PS2 price cut to £169.99, then Microsoft announce that, yes, Xbox will drop in price to £159.99.

The cut - down £40 from £199.99 - is the third price drop since Xbox was launched in the UK eight months ago and represents a reduction of almost 50% on its initial retail price of £299.99.

As per the PS2 reduction, the new Xbox price will come into effect from this Friday (30 August).

"The video games industry is more robust than ever this year and new consoles and games are expected to dominate Christmas wish lists," reckons Sandy Duncan, Vice President of Xbox Europe.

"Xbox is extremely well-positioned to be at the top of those lists because it's the best value. The intense power and gaming experiences consumers get with Xbox is simply unsurpassed."

With both Sony and Microsoft having announced cheaper next-gen hardware on the same day, we're now waiting to see if Nintendo will follow suit. We'll keep you posted.Wow! An almost 50% price reduction in 8 months for the XBox. This is unbelievable. For me as a keen gamer, there is still not quite enough must-have games in the UK to make me buy one. But believe me, it is becoming tempting...

However, the news of this drop presents many questions. Why are they doing this? Is the XBox really doing so terribly in Europe? Is the XBox following in the footsteps as the Dreamcast (although without anywhere near the same quality of games)?

I think that MS are becoming desperate in Europe, they need to start shifting some XBox's and I believe this latest price cuts exemplifies that.

SONY don't need to worry, with close to 30 million units sold they are more than safe.. but what about the XBox?

I don't know, but I have a feeling that in Europe at least, the console war is over.

- S

KraftSLU
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:50 AM
MS is just trying to put xboxs in homes. If the ps2 is cheaper, then not nearly as many xboxs will sell and ms knows this. But on the other hand, if the xbox was cheaper, it would beat the pants off of ps2. Anyways, MS's big goal is really just to put xboxs in homes.

GaseousSnake
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:43 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It only means that M$ is desperate.:laugh:

RobHardo
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:53 PM
ok well whens the price gunna drop in the US, your were talkin UK

FireBall
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Solid: Snake
ok well whens the price gunna drop in the US, your were talkin UK

The price has alreaqdy dropped for the Ps2 here in Canada... not sure about the X-Box

BlackThornn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:24 AM
I think it is because Microsoft is just desperately wanting/needing to sell more consoles and develop some kind of fanbase. I mean, come on. TWO price cuts within the first year?!?

If I'm not mistaken the box is still taking money away from M$.. I can only see a service like XboxLive taking a bigger chunk out of there. Always possible that I'm wrong about this, though.

kupoartist
Sep 4th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BlackThornn
I can only see a service like XboxLive taking a bigger chunk out of there. Always possible that I'm wrong about this, though.
hmm... if they ever release it at all. The Internet infastructre over here just... sucks. True, not everyone is deprived enough to be on 28k line (it hurts, damn it hurts...) but the roll-out for anything faster than ISDN has been pathetic. It seems that BT just don't give a crap. lousy bums....

Oh and I most certianly noticed the price drops - I was able to afford my PS2 quicker ^_^

Faile
Sep 4th, 2002, 05:57 PM
bt hates us all !

and i'm really tempted, despite the cuts to get a gamecube tomorrow.

eek !

i hate having a credit card

*is random*

Ninja
Sep 4th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Wait so does dat mean that Ps2 will be cheaper than 199.99 bcuz I just bought 1 this July

BlackThornn
Sep 5th, 2002, 12:02 PM
How could you say I don't give a crap? :nerv:

I do, but I seriously can't see how M$ is gonna profit even enough to recoup it's losses from Xbox Live! European internet infrastructure "sucking" being a major part of the problem.

Even here Broadband isn't all THAT common. And it's expensive, at least here in Cali. (40$ a month in comparison to 20$ for a Mindspring 56k connection)