PDA

View Full Version : Anime/art or anime/product?

Black Heart
Aug 27th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Do you think anime is only a commercial product or there's some "artistic" aspect and purpose in them?
Do you think creators have the freedom to put in them their personal point of view and "philosophies" or do they just put in them whatever could please the audience?

Cannibal Clown
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM
artistic all the way. The ideas and thought that are put intro soo many anime is unbelievable. In anime, the directors and artists try their hardest to put a new element to animation, visually and philisophically. The ideas of life, attidute toward people, and ther aspects of love, hate, life, death. The concept of the human mind, and the way a person matures from childhood, to adult.

Anime is far more than senceless violence, childish yelling, and overly large boobs. It has meaning and thought to the story.

merylsilverburg
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:46 PM
I agree with CC. Though anime is very fantasy like, their themes and stories are sometimes very realistic (think of Cowboy Bebop). Pleasing the audience is one thing, but making them have empathy and relating to the series or the characters is probably the main aspect. I mean, there are some useless animes out there, but even they have a purpose to show even if it's not the most in depth one.

Pu the Owl
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Some anime series are created with the clear purpose to please the audience, and they appear dull and repetitive. I wouldn't call them artistic products. Some others are more on the artistic side and they'requite original even when they're about everyday's troubles or not particularly original stories.

About the freedom of the creators: being an anime the result of the work of a staff, it's impossible to have the complete control on it. The creator and the producers usually have to find a way to agree on many points. I'd say working on a manga series gives more freedom to the artist, but not completely as well. If the publishers tells the mangaka to cut part of the story, he has to cut it or to adjust it. Industry and freedom are opposite things :sarcasm:

LaiN
Sep 11th, 2002, 07:34 AM
By watching Anime (Eva and Lain) I began to think more about my life, living, love etc. They make me think more about life and I like that.