PDA

View Full Version : USB Ethernet adaptor works?

xfjsx
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Do standard USB to Ethernet adaptors work with socom online?
Since the offical adaptor had not yet been released, i purchased a usb to ethernet adaptor with which i have been playing tony hawk 3 online with for the past few months. i was wondering if socom allows you to play with this adaptor too. thanks!

xfjsx
Aug 27th, 2002, 03:07 PM
up

thcom
Aug 27th, 2002, 03:54 PM
I have a Linksys wireless 802.11b to USB adapter. Anyone have luck getting this to work with the PS2 ?
Wonder if it will work with SOCOM

xfjsx
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:59 AM
somebody out theres got to have tried it...

drendel
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:52 PM
I have used the Linksys USB100TX with Tony Hawk 3 and it works great.

The thing that makes me nervous is that the Official PS2 network adapter saves it's settings on a memory card.

If the games rely on these setting instead of having their own settings, I guess it wouldn't work.

Does anyone have the game yet? Can someone let us know?

then again, for the $40 they want for the network adapter, you get Twisted Metal.

I don't know what I'll do yet.

Cantley
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:41 PM
The Linksys USB100TX works fine with THPS3, Madden 2003, and now SOCOM. I was playing SOCOM online last night and other than some enormous lag problems (which everyone has acknowledged including the devolpers) it was a fun experience.

As Sony has already admitted, the PS2 Interent Adaptor is both 56k modem and a 10/100 Ethernet Card. In order for developers to prevent USB Ethernet adaptors from being used they would have to either:

1) Instruct the game to ignore anything plugged into a USB port (this would also include controllers, keyboards, mouse, ... etc. ).

or

2) Each developer/publisher could have their servers automatically scan to see if each and every PS2 is using an Official PS2 Internet Adaptor (every NIC has a unique identification number). While this is not impossible it would be far easier for a system like XBOX Live to do as it uses centralised servers and databases. Why would EA (or any game publisher/developer) wish to incorporate additional overhead costs?

The Linksys adaptor works now and I do not see that changing for any future online PS2 games.

Cantley