PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Hidden Fees

Kooster
Aug 26th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Im really pissed!! I just found out that many developers for Xbox Live games are charging money to buy extra characters, levels, cars, costumes, weapons, etc. Basically, If you buy these things using a credit card, you get an advantage in the game. I think this is so unfair. Im 14 and cant get a job. I dont have much money, and the last thing i need to buy is a virtual "car" in a video game to make me race faster. Adults with tons of money to spare are going to be able to buy whatever they want and have a huge advantage over me. It wont be fun at all if I keep on losing. I cant believe that developers are actually putting a price on these things. i dont know what to do...im soooo mad!

jjmoohead
Aug 26th, 2002, 04:50 PM
I have heard rumors of this for both Ps2 and Xbox but have yet to see any hard evidence of it. I know Sony has made it clear that developers are not allowed to charge for use of its servers so its hard to see them charging for individual cars in a racing game. The Xbox I could see them doing this cause they don't have any limitations when it comes to customer charges. It may be something they have to do in order to stay afloat when it comes to money.

Do you have a link to that info you have. I would like to get my hands on some hard facts so I know whether to put my newly purchased xbox (yes i bought one, cause my roomate moved out and I would hate to become a fanboy) on line along with my PS2.

Kooster
Aug 26th, 2002, 05:18 PM
i dont have a link, but it is true. i talked to an xbox tech support rep about it. if u want, u can talk to one too at xbox.com

Infernal Mass
Aug 26th, 2002, 07:40 PM
those extra downloads are supposed to cost like 25 cents. There's an excessively huge article about xbox live in the August OXM.

Kooster
Aug 26th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Kabuki Magnifico
those extra downloads are supposed to cost like 25 cents. There's an excessively huge article about xbox live in the August OXM. really? but 25 cents adds up for a lot of addons.

RobHardo
Aug 26th, 2002, 08:17 PM
go on ebay and people will pay money for diablo 2 items, yes its true i have looked it up

Uchiha Sasuke
Aug 26th, 2002, 10:49 PM
those extra downloads are supposed to cost like 25 cents. There's an excessively huge article about xbox live in the August OXM.

Yeah but wouldnt you still need a credit card to do all that.I mean theres so many things that you have to do to make xbox live enjoyable.Monthly payments.Sorry but i dont want that.I dont wanna pay for patches or downloads either 25 cents or not.

Infernal Mass
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:49 AM
It's a pain no doubt about it..and yeah credit cards are the best way to go about it. They are even offering xbox live prepaid cards for people.

The examples that were given in the article were for games like unreal championship ..you could download a new weapon or level via xbox live. These all add up in the end as someone else mentioned, nevertheless there are people who are willing to fork over the funds to get the best experiance possible from their games.

Uchiha Sasuke
Aug 27th, 2002, 01:25 AM
It's a pain no doubt about it..and yeah credit cards are the best way to go about it. They are even offering xbox live prepaid cards for people.

The examples that were given in the article were for games like unreal championship ..you could download a new weapon or level via xbox live. These all add up in the end as someone else mentioned, nevertheless there are people who are willing to fork over the funds to get the best experiance possible from their games.

I have one thing to say Kabuki.Wouldn't all these funds and different things you need to do,discourage people from wanting to enjoy the xbox live expirence.I mean im a xbox owner and I like the idea of xbox live but i also see the big picture when it comes to how much i might have to spend in order to fully enjoy games.I'm just trying to state that i believe the ps2 online service will probably be more enjoyable because not having to pay for every single game or download which is quite nice.

KraftSLU
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Ok, I, the avid xbox supporter, can honestly say this is a crappy idea. Extra weapons for money? So lets say I am playing a game online and I play this other kid in unreal. Im better than him, naturally, but since I am broke this week and he made a little extra he was able to buy some cool weapons and blow the crap out of me... What next? 10 dollars buys you online invincibility? I can understand charging money for complete add-ons, like blizzard games have and like command and conquer and many other games had, but buying pieces at a time sucks.

Jon27
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:20 AM
it wont happen for most games, and many of the dl would be for single player also, so its not like this will be a big deal, its just for those who want a little more

jjmoohead
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:45 PM
I was just thinking the same thin Jon. I wouldnt believe that would happen. The thing about the other player having a sweeter weapon. I think that is more for single player options. Or maybe skins for multipayer. (weapons, models) I dont think I could go out and get the ultimate weapon and use it against you, cause in most games if you get killed you drop your weapons and then others can pick them up. And if I didnt pay the money to have it on my xbox then i dont see how that would work.