PDA

View Full Version : SOCOM demo impressions

Joe
Aug 21st, 2002, 12:57 PM
Holy shiat. I just got this yesterday, and I am telling you, this game will rock. Although I am sure that we all knew this before, I am just reinsuring your guesses. :)

This demo rocks. I was planning on playing the single player mode on August 28th for most of the day, you know, so I could get the controls down-pat. But now, I allready have the controls down-pat. :) So now, on the first day it is out, I will just check out the single player mode to see if they made any tweaks in the controlls. So, the first day, 98% of my time will be spent playing SOCOM online, sniping people like a mutha-fuka. ;) I really can't wait for the release of this title. And to all who will go up against me, just wait to get a pounding.

The controls in this game are spectacular. I really like how the reload button is R3, because I really don't have to focus on too many other buttons, just the aiming/reload button. All of the controls are responsive and great.

I do have a few problems with some of the controls, though. The crouching/lie down/stand up button (Triangle) moves a bit too slow for my likings. I guess it is a bit more realistic this way, but I would prefer it to be faster. And.... In the demo, I got a bit confused. Are we able to use the knife for stealth kills? Because I would sneak up on the Iron Brothers, and press the "secondary weapon" button, nothing would happen. So I would just end up shooting the terrorist with my pistol. :D

I first played this game in Futureshop the other day. I did have some problems with the aiming. When I was in full zoom, I felt that the controlling of the aim was a bit jumpy. However, when I received the demo in the mail, and got to play it in a closed setting, I found that the aiming with the zoom all the way was amazing. I do not find it jumpy at all now. Headshots are a breeze when I am killing the Iron Brothers when they are standing still or moving slowly. And I am getting really good in killing the terrorists when they are running away, or to the side for cover.

Another thing that I really like is the fact that it feels stealthy. When I am just toggling the joystick a bit, my guy moves slowly. The animation is great. He really looks like he is in the environment and looking out for his enemies. I really like the shooting. With the rifle, I like the kickback, but it is great that the target goes near where it was before. The pistol is great for running into the little houses, and shooting up the terrorists. I still haven't mastered the grande throwing, but I will get better at that soon.

All in all, it is a great game. I really get the feeling that I am working with the team. However, I don't know what Zulu is. Those commands are a bit stupid, but whatever. I look forward to talking to people online and shouting out orders in "English" to them.

I would give this demo a 9/10. It was really fun, and provided me with both some great sniping action, and some great pistol work too. Graphics were smooth, however not the greatest. And even when there were four terrorists on screen, and my team of five, there was no slowdown what-so-ever. The only thing I do not like is the draw distance. I find that the houses get lost in the "fog". Great demo. Look forward to playing the real game both offline and online.

MakgSnake
Aug 21st, 2002, 02:35 PM
From Where Did U Get The Demo Joe?

Joe
Aug 21st, 2002, 03:53 PM
Gamespy sent it to me..... For signing up with their E-Seals program.

dangerwulf
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:15 PM
yeah, I got my demo from one of my friends, and I ordered my socom, but it hasn't come in yet, even though the date is now august 31st. But I will surely enjoy it when it comes in. How has the whole clan thing been working out? I haven't played the actual game yet, so how is it going? Anybody who is undecided about whether or not to get the game should check out www.gamespy.com/socom and www.socom.scea.com and it will definitely convince you... It convinced me!

SocomShooter
Aug 31st, 2002, 09:38 PM
just a FYI.. Zulu is usually an extraction point. If you go to your tacmap you can see where all your nav points are (delta, charlie, foxtrot etc) so when you order your team to a navpoint, (IE, able~stealthto~foxtrot) that will send team able (you and boomer) in a stealth fashion to nav point foxtrot.

I bought this game thursday and am loving it so much.