PDA

View Full Version : What will I Need?

EliteEllis
Aug 15th, 2002, 11:44 AM
I know that I will need the internet adapter, but how will I get my broadband connection from my computer to my playstation?
Will I need an ethernet router?

MakgSnake
Aug 15th, 2002, 01:25 PM
I Would Like To Know The Same Thing. But From The Video I Have...... They Say. That All U Need Is A Phone Line Which Would Get Connected At Ure "Adapter" One End And The Other End On The "Phone" Line. Is That It?......?.......?

I Am Confused Myself. Cause I Want To Buy The Netword Adp. And SOCOM And Play With All Ps2Fantasy Members! That Would Be The Best!.!

Joe
Aug 15th, 2002, 03:37 PM
It is actually more complicated if you are going online via broadband. And, it will cost about $100 American. You have to buy the network adaptor. You plug that into your PS2, and leave it there. Then, you go to your computer, and find the modem thingy (external). You buy a router, and hook that up to it. Then, you put an ethernet cord from the router to your computer (you allready have this cord if you are online with cable/DSL, and it looks kind of like a phone cord). Then, you have to buy some ethernet cables to hook your router to your PS2. Depending on how far away your PS2 is from your router, will determine the length of cable you need. I recommend the Cat5 ethernet cables. Then, you plug this Cat5 cable from your router all the way up to your PS2. Simple! Lol.

So after you did all of this, you are ready to get your ass whooped by me in SOCOM. ;)

Joe
Aug 16th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by goodman
So your saying that cable and router will cost around $100? I knew this sh@t was gonna be pricey.

Yeah...... not many people have realized yet that they have do not only have to buy the network adaptor. And it will be pricy. In Canada, it will cost me about $167 to get the router and cables that I need.

MakgSnake
Aug 17th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Ok This Is What I Found Out..... About The Network Adapter.

Once U Get The Adapter These Are The Things U'll GET.

"Network Adapter" This Fits On The Back Of Your Ps2 Where It Says Expansion Bay (Screw It With A ScrewDriver). Its Got A Phone Jack For The Standard Dial Up Connections And An Ethernet Port For Those With DSL Or Cable Modems.

"Start Up Disk" Includes A Help Video To Walk Through Installation Step By Step A Couple Playable Demos (Frequency Online, NFL 2003) And Different Internet Service Provider (ISP) Packages, So U Can Sign Up And Get Going Quick Even If U Dont Already Have An ISP.

"Mail-In Coupon For Online Version Of Twisted Metal Black".

What We'll Need To Get ONLINE.........

A Playstation2
A Playstation2 Memory Card With Atleast 137Kb Of Free Space To Store Your Configuration.
A Screw Driver To Tighten The Screws That Attach The Adapter To The Back Of Your Playstation2

A Phone Line Or Ethernet Connection.

It All Sounds Simple....I Guess.......I Hope It Is As Simple As It Sounds!

Sid554
Aug 18th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Joe

Yeah...... not many people have realized yet that they have do not only have to buy the network adaptor. And it will be pricy. In Canada, it will cost me about $167 to get the router and cables that I need.

What you seem not to have realized is that a set-up like this is only a necessity if you want your PC and PS2 connected at the same time. Speaking on the basis of pure functionality only, a router is NOT required to get your PS2 on-line.

Sid554
Aug 18th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by goodman
Were talking about broadband, Sid, but your right, to just get online with a dial up it should be no problem with just the adaptor, i guess anyways. Depending on what exactly i may be having to fork out i may decide to hold off again my going online with the ps2. I have the money, but feel that there will be so much coming out this fall that isnt online but will be good, that it would be hard to justify that kinda expenditure for a niche experience.

I was talking about broadband too, not dial-up. I was just saying that you don't really NEED a router to get online, as you could simply switch which thing is connected at which time(PC or PS2) by connecting it directly to your cable modem(Not sure about DSL, not sure how exactly it works).This would make a router more of a convenience than a necessity as you would be able to connect everything at once. That's what I was trying to get at.

Joe
Aug 19th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Oh yeah, you don't need a router. But I do. I don't want to be limited to playing online with the PS2 to whenever somebody is not using the internet on my PC. And in a family of five, that is basically never.

Sid554
Aug 20th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Joe
Oh yeah, you don't need a router. But I do. I don't want to be limited to playing online with the PS2 to whenever somebody is not using the internet on my PC. And in a family of five, that is basically never.

I can see how that might be a problem.:)

MakgSnake
Aug 21st, 2002, 11:49 AM
I Guess I'll Have To Buy That Router Or Whatever, "Switch" As I Call It!.!

Need One BAD Already!

Sedona
Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:38 AM
In reality it can be much less expensive to get the ps2 online. My problem is that my DSL modem is an external USB, so networking with that is very hard and very expensive. So, I just bought a second external ethernet DSL modem from half.com for about $30. Now I just use that and plug it directly to the PS2. No networking required at all. Only problem is that I can't have my computer and PS2 online at the same time.

Neo
Aug 25th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Well, SOCOM will finally be out shortly, but I made sure to solve my "online " prob before hand. The easiest way to go is netwqorking, that is if you want to be able to have you r pc and ps2 online at the same time. Living will others, makes this the best way to go. I just bought me a new hub, a short cat 5 cable for my pc, and a fifty foot cat5 cable so that i can enjoy the pleasures of online gaming in my own room. Sure is cost a little over $100, and took a little effort to install, but in the end is proves most worth it. SO basically what i am trying to say is, who cares if its pricy, and takes some brains to install, ( or drilling holes in walls in my case ) if it'll get you online to play SOCOM, what the hell are you waiting for!

Gramps
Aug 25th, 2002, 11:30 AM
I will only be playing when all are asleep at my house, so I figured I could just unplug my computer from the modem and plug in the ps2 ( I have dsl).

However, my dsl account requires a login from my computer, using Bannet software running on windows 98. Does anybody know how to get around this (or if it will even be a problem)?

My current dsl modem is a westel.

Thanks,
gramps

xfjsx
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:09 PM
dont listen to any of these dolts :)

you dont NEED a router, and all that crap. its nicer that way though.

you can just plug your broadband modem (dsl/cable) directly into your ps2's adaptor. you only need to put it into a hub and etc, if you want your computer to be on the hub to to share internet with your ps2. if you only want to use the ps2 by itself online, then just plug the sum***** in there.

xfjsx
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:14 PM
BTY, as for you with the usb dsl modem you may have it the EASIEST of them all! no broadband adaptor needed! just plug your usb dsl modem into a usb port on ur ps2!

Sedona
Aug 27th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Just to clear the last thread up. You can't just plug a USB DSL modem into the USB port on front of the PS2. I tried that and it does not work. You must have a network adaptor of some sort (that's how people have played THPS3 online) between the ps2 and the modem.

seand_1_2
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Some DSL and Cable modem providers require a specific MAC address connected to the modem. This is sometimes set up at the install process, you will either need to have your provider allow two addresses or add a router that does mac address cloning (i.e. faking the MAC address)

p.s. You can't hook a DSL USB modem directly to the PS2, it will not recognize it.

Sid554
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by xfjsx
dont listen to any of these dolts :)

you dont NEED a router, and all that crap. its nicer that way though.

you can just plug your broadband modem (dsl/cable) directly into your ps2's adaptor. you only need to put it into a hub and etc, if you want your computer to be on the hub to to share internet with your ps2. if you only want to use the ps2 by itself online, then just plug the sum***** in there.

Dude, you basically repeated what I said.