PDA

View Full Version : Obesity: Is it Ronald McDonald's Fault?

merylsilverburg
Aug 7th, 2002, 03:15 AM
My sister subscribed to this magazine called "The Week" that has all of the latest news for the week (for all the lazy or don't-have-the-time people who don't wanna read the paper or watch the news. *raises hand*) and there's this one article that talks about obesity in America. Here it is:

"The Week" Magazine- August 9, Volume 2, Issue 67
Obesity: Is it Ronald McDonald's Fault?

Caesar Barber's love affair with hamburgers and fries began in the 1950s with the bite-sized "sliders" of White Castle. He moved on to the greasy joys of McDonald's, Burger King, and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Now, two heart attacks and eight angioplasties later, this 56-year-old maintenance worker from the Bronx is blaming America's fast-food culture for seducing him into a lifetime of unhealthy eating. "Nobody said what this food would do to me," he complained. So, last week, the 270-pound Barber filed a lawsuit against several fast-food chains for not warning that their fried, fat -and salt- laden provender could make customers too big for their britches. "They said, '100 percent beef,'" Barber told Peter Bailey in Newsday. "I thought that meant it was good for you."
Thus begins the latest round of "I'm Stupid, Therefore I Sue," said Mitch Albom in the Detroit Free Press. It should come as no surprise to any sentient being that it's unhealthy to chow down on grease-stained bags of burgers and fries. But personal-injury lawyers don't believe in personal responsibility, and they're salivating over the prospect of making a meal of the fast-food industry's supersized profits. They're comparing Big Macs to cigarettes, which, of course, is absurd. Cheeseburgers contain no nicotine, and they aren't addictive. Tell that to a jury, said Peg Tyre in Newsweek. Northeastern University law professor Richard Daynard will soon offer "a closed-door strategy session for nearly 100 lawyers" who hope to sue fast-food companies, which they're calling "Big Food." The lawyers plan to focus on fat kids, on the premise that the young and naive can't see through slick advertisements and are thus "passive victims" of Ronald McDonald and the Colonel.
As a father of three boys, "I can attest to the almost hypnotic effect of the Happy Meal," said George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley in the Los Angeles Times. McDonald's clever mix of meat and marketing always leaves my three squalling kids "semiconscious in a fat- and toy- induced trance." But in court, it won't be easy to prove that Big Food is alone responsible for America's gluttony. Was it really the Quarter Pounder, or did the fettuccine Alfredo play a role? Should we blame the 64-ounce Coke or Starbucks' white chocolate mocha? Still, now that our mutual funds are on a crash diet, those of us with weak wills and burgeoning guts should root for the lawyers to prevail. Just think of it: "I could well be carrying the kids' college fund around my midsection, safe from stock market fluctuations."

After I read this I thought to myself that that Barber guy is so stupid. Honestly now....why couldn't he use common sense? Fattening and fried stuff...100% beef.....good for you?! Man, he cannot blame the fast food industry for his stupidity....and, he seems to act as if it's their fault he went and ate so much fat and became the way he is now. He could've stopped anytime. Man, people like this piss me off....sure, marketing and advertisting of the foods can appeal to people, but it doesn't mean you have to go out and get that damn Big Mac just because it looks so good on TV. :mad:

Spank-A-Thon
Aug 7th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Other than in cases where obesity is down to a medical problem, fat people are fat because they eat too much.. simple as that.

They should get their fat asses off the sofa and down to the gym, eat more healthily and take responsibility for their own actions.

I smoke cigarettes, yet I would not expect any sympathy if I got lung cancer because I brought it upon myself. So why fat people feel they are deserving of our sympathy is beyond me - if it's self-inflicted, I don't feel any sympathy.

That may sound harsh, but these people need to learn that they have no-one else to blame but themselves.

- S

jjmoohead
Aug 7th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Being overwieght can also be related to previous generations of the family. Obesity can be a family trait and passed down by a parent or grandparent. Some people are just born to be overwieght. Sure diets can help and eating healthy can make a difference, but for some its the difference in being fat or obese.

IcyMourdor
Aug 7th, 2002, 09:19 AM
This guy is so smart. Suing the fast food companies for getting large. Why didn't I think of it? This guy is going to be rich. *goes to file a lawsuit*

"This is the cream of the crop at the bottom of the barrel."~ Samuel L. Jackson

This shows what the oddest people can do. It was even funnier when I read the first article a couple weeks ago.

Hylas
Aug 7th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Many people have unhealthy habits regarding food. It's their fault, because they're unable to take care of themselves.
They can choose what is good to eat for their health, but they prefer eating greasy stuff, because it's more "tasty, fast and easy to find". Overwighted people should choose really carefully what to eat. I'm tired of hearing those persons say "I'm fat, but it's not my fault, because I don't eat anything during the whole day" or "I'm fat but it's a fault of fast food restaurants". Only few cases involve overweighted people ONLY for genetic or biological reasons (because of the influence of other cases in the family or because of serious disfunctions). The other people are fat only for their fault, because they can't choose what is good to eat. They shouldn't blame fast foods. It's like blaming tobacco companies because people smoke: it's obvious that smoking is unealthy, but you can choose to not smoke at all.

ToulaPich
Aug 7th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Man this Barber guy must be:
:roll:

kupoartist
Aug 7th, 2002, 01:45 PM
hehe.... just like a High School masacre... "It wasn't me that did it! wasn't the gun laws either! Blame DOOM! it may be 6 years old but it makes me shoot people!"

And if you can't blame DOOM, blame Canada... oopps sorry Gadzoox and the rest of you - The South Park Movie made me do it ^_^

Edit: and I don't blame Ronald. He's an old friend. I blame the Colonel...

007_JamesBond
Aug 8th, 2002, 01:56 PM
I heard about this from Leno, lol if he wins his case which he wont, then every over wait person will try this aswell, people cant cant accept the fact to get out and exercise, lol

Infernal Mass
Aug 9th, 2002, 12:02 PM
http://www.lamer.net/ronmcdon.jpg
his intentions aren't good at all

Si|ent
Aug 9th, 2002, 12:14 PM
LOL nice picture but you really cant even blame places like that they dont make you eat there food they just give you an option to eat their food.

Frozen
Aug 9th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Well, everybody already said what I would say. The barber guy is a stupid ignorant who at 50 years of age does not know what is nutritious and what is not.

That's why I almost never like fat girls. Not just because they are "Fat" but more because of the reason they are like that. To those who were born with that problem, I have nothing against to them, but then the otehrs show that they don't care about themselves at all and are freaking lazy and won't do any exercise (well, the same thing goes for guys like that)

As for Mc Donald's ..... those hamburgers are lame. What that company does is just advertise to the kids, not even to the adult people. Thye advertise to kids with toys, so they lure the kids to make their parents bring them.

Infernal Mass
Aug 9th, 2002, 01:47 PM
absolutely, the whole toy n the bag thing is insane. I remember when i was little that was the only real reason i ever wanted to journey to McD's ..not for the crappy little burger and shot of coke. It was for the McToy

Lost_myth
Aug 9th, 2002, 05:59 PM
i'm kind of stuck in the middle. Once they had that calorie chart. They should say how much of what is in it. And weither it's good meat or not.

So I think it's more of the person's fault but the fast food places do share the blame.

Commenting on what Frozen said: If you live a confined life or have no place to go and no will to do anything, but do care about yourself, then it's going to make it so much more difficult to lose weight. But also so much more satisfying when you do. And everyone has problems with health, not just fat people. I know a lot of people maybe even me that has a thing that makes carbos addicting. Your body is just so used to it. I understand what u are saying and I'm not saying it's wrong, this is just my opinion or data I recieved.

Frozen
Aug 10th, 2002, 06:05 AM
I think I know what you mean, don't take too seriously what I posted either as I was half asleep when I made that post XD

I know that there's plnety of different reasons for a guy or a chick to be fat, I just pointed towards those who complain about their overweight but don't do anything to remediate it either. But not that I'm like "stay away from me, you fat boy!" because I actually have several fat friends who are very dear to me (guys and chicks) but I'm always telling them that they're stupid because they don't excercise :laugh:

Infernal Mass
Aug 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
yeah fat people need to exercise..it's better for their health and all. My sister is kinda chunky. I steal all her cupcakes and crap from her,..she gets kinda upset at that. ..but it's for her own good.

Like the other day she was eating some chocolate cheesecake icecream...:blergh: I suggested that she should eat it in a series of predetermined distances covered at regular time increments with intermittent periods of rest..she ignored me and ate the whole thing. :(

Ruby Moon
Aug 10th, 2002, 08:02 PM
There's a diffenrence between what is healthy and what is trendy. Fat people need to exercise for their health and they don't have to eat too much junk food. I agree on that (how can I say it's wrong?). But some people are not fat at all and they suffer from unhealthy choices regaring food as well. The only difference is that if they're not fat you cannot see it and you cannot judge saying "He's fat, so it means he eats to much and doesn't exercise". I don't think many people can say to have a balanced and regular diet, even thin people or people who do some exercise during the week. I doubt many people are as informed about this matter as they should be...