PDA

View Full Version : Convo

MakgSnake
Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:40 PM
I Dunno, But Most Of The Time..........People Just Say Things In A Different Manner, Then The Actual Way.

I Dont Think I Am Making Any Sense But.......... Dont U Think Its Always Better To Have A Conversation In A Thread Then Just, Typing In And Answering What The "Topic" Starter Has Asked.

It Is Kinda Hard To Start A Conversation, Isn't It? Or Is It Just Me?

We Do Interact When Answering A Thread's Question, But We Dont Actually "Talk". Its Like Sitting In A Living With Bunch Of People, And Talking Out Loud Without Looking At Anyone!.! Wierd Isn't It?

MADRUCKIS
Aug 4th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Hmmmmm

Not weird at all, actually Makg. With me, I can start a convo with a perfect starnger ( and I constantly do cause in NY, the crazies are around almost all the time-I'm one of them actually)

I like staring convos in mid thread or just talkin bout anything. Usually, I won't respond to threads if they have a definite subject matter to speak about....but sometimes-like this thread-I feel that some topics can span into other ones. Something liek this.....

So Makgsnake....heard about Substance! Yeah, I might get a box just for that thing, I feel so robbed of it!

See how this convo spanned into sumthin else....I love that!

jjmoohead
Aug 4th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Do you life beef? Beef is cool, you know how many different things can be made with beef...Thousands.

uhh so yeah, I agree we could just talk about anything

Pu the Owl
Aug 4th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Communicating with others is always complicated. Most of the time, not only when you reply a thread, it happens what you said: you interact with others because you answer their questions, but you don't really talk to them. Having a conversation with another person is nearly impossible most of the time and it's because you're always distracted by many things, or simply because you are not interested.
Having a conversation replying to threads is even more difficult, for obvious reasons, first of all because it's not "real time". You read, write and then wait for others to read. And you can't stop the flowing of their thoughts talking when they're reading your replies, as you can't explain if they don't get your words.

MakgSnake
Aug 4th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Madruckis, Ure Right, May Be For U It Isn't Hard To Start A Convo, Cause Ure A NewYorker, And Ive Been There. Its Amazing There, How People Just Talk And Have A Great Time With Each Other. I Know What Ure Trying To Say!.! So How Are You? And Well.....I Guess We Think Alike Cause I Am Planning On To Get That Stupid "BOX" Cause Of The Substance As Well. Damn I Cant Wait For That Game. I Know I'll Be Getting That Game On PS2 And On PC As Well.......But Whos Gonna Wait For 4 More Months!.! Right? hehehe

And Fortune Ure Right Too..........But U See, I Am As Well Talking About What Is Better...........Answering Is Good....... But Talking Is Soo Much Better. Like What We Are Doing, I Am Not Only Answering But Talking To Madruckis And You!.! Isn't That Something Nice. (jjmoohead, Sorry But I Am Not A Big Fan Of Beef, hehe)

Neways Fortune.....I Always Like When In A Thread There Are People "Actually" Talking To Each Other. Thats The Reason That "Party" Thread Was A Success. Cause People Just Didn't Answer But They Interacted (Talked) To Each Other.........Just Like We Do When We Go To A Party!.!...... True Or False?

Pu the Owl
Aug 4th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Maybe it's just that asking and answering it's easier to know other people, at least some basic aspects of their personality.
That's why there are so many questions all around and people give their answers. They don't have to think much about it, and they can getsome info too.

MakgSnake
Aug 4th, 2002, 10:33 AM
So What Ure Saying Is That Just Plain Simple Answering Is Better Then Actually Talking. U Prefer .. Answering To What Is Asked, And Thats It.....No More-No Less. ?

Pu the Owl
Aug 4th, 2002, 10:38 AM
I'm not saying which one is better. But you know, you mentioned "The Party" thread, which was in your opinion a good occasion to talk. Yeah, that's true, it was a really nice way to talk to each other and have some fun, but you get to know others by what they posted there better than reading some of their answers to questions on various themes and topics?
I think both of those ways are useful to get an idea. Questions and answers are a good support to any decent conversation, it's like having some strong points to start and know who is the person you're talking to, because otherwise your way of talking to others could be a bit "empty" and it could make not much sense.

MakgSnake
Aug 4th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Fortune
Questions and answers are a good support to any decent conversation, it's like having some strong points to start and know who is the person you're talking to, because otherwise your way of talking to others could be a bit "empty" and it could make not much sense.
I Agree With That........Ure Right, So Ure Saying What I Think Ure Saying Is........ When Ure Reading Their "Answers" To A Question........U Dont Really Care Or Remember "Who Said What And When"...... But When Ure Actually Talking, And That Person Is Talking To You..... U Remember It Till The End. Cause Attention Is Important Too.

Pu the Owl
Aug 4th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Yeah, attention is important. If you read or hear stuff without attention, you can make lots of mistakes and this will break a conversation even before it starts. I think the lack of attention is one of the causes that makes people avoid talking to each others. Many people want quick replies (I'm not talking about forums, but in general), and they're even bothered if you try to explain your points of view with an in-depht analysis. They stop listening to what you say after few moments because it actually requires more interest and attention, and they don't have this kind of interest most of the time.

MakgSnake
Aug 4th, 2002, 11:21 AM
They stop listening to what you say after few moments because it actually requires more interest and attention, and they don't have this kind of interest most of the time.
Sooo True, And I Hate That Too. But It Doesn't Happen Often With Me. ThankGod. But I Know How It Feels Like To Happen.

But These Kind Of Things Happen ALOT In The Forums. Not Pointing At These Forums, But U Know Forums All Over The Net. Where People Try To Talk And All They Get Is "Views" And No "Replies".........! :(

Pu the Owl
Aug 4th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Many people registering at videogaming forums expect only to talk about videogames, and they don't care if there are other members who want to talk about something different besides videogames. I can't blame them for this, in fact if talking is not what they're looking for, it's right that they don't care about other subjects and they only reply in threads regarding games. The fact is that I think it's nice to meet people who have the same interests as you (in this case videogames) and demonstrate they can talk about other things.

Hylas
Aug 4th, 2002, 06:23 PM
The greatest part of the people are really selfish, so they like answering questions mainly because they're authorized to talk of themselves :mad:
But sometimes is useful to ask questions and getting answers, I find it interesting, because I like to know what other people think.

MakgSnake
Aug 4th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Hylas Ure Right About Asking And Answering, But Dont U Think It'll Be Better If We Talk, Then Just Answer.

But Oh Well............

Pu the Owl
Aug 4th, 2002, 08:06 PM
mmm having a conversation also includes questions and answers. The problem is that sometimes people only "wake up" when you ask something in the middle of the conversation and they're "asleep" for the rest of the time. This is kinda annoying. But it's even worse if you can't get an answer as well. It makes you think "What am I trying to do now? Better I shut up".
I think sometimes it's the same when people talk to me. I'm not always so interested in a conversation, so I focus my attention on some specific parts, like when they're asking for a suggestion, or when they're requesting my "active" presence.

And BTW, now I think we're having some kind of conversation, but I don't know if anyone is really "involved" :laugh:

MakgSnake
Aug 4th, 2002, 08:28 PM
True, We Are Having A Conversation, But Its Like Having A Convo In A Different Room, Where People Are Just Peeking In....... And Then Looking At Us Two Talking About "Conversation" Itself, And Then Leaving The Room And Heading Towards Another Lounge Or Something. hehe..

At Times It Happens With Me As Well, When Someones Talking To Me.......I Am Thinking About Something Else. But I HATE It When That Person Asks "So What Do U Say, What Should I Do"....... And I Am Like "Hmm Yeah.....Listen To Your Heart"....... But I Try Not To Ignore Or Change A Topic........ Sometimes I DO Try To Change A Certain Topic. And I Am GOOD At It.....!

See This Is Far Better Then......"Do U Like To Talk Or Just Answer? - I Like To Talk" FINITO! :P

Pu the Owl
Aug 5th, 2002, 06:12 AM
So you're good at changing topic?
I hate when this happens! Especially when I started the conversation and then all of a sudden the person I'm talking to starts talking about a different topic :mad: So I usually say "What's the connection between my topic and yours?" and usually the person says "I thought your conversation about the previous topic was dead..." or stuff like that. If the conversation moves on and you start talking about different topics because of it it's ok, but it's really bad when you're talking about something and the other person is only thinking about starting a new topic and is waiting for the right moment to do it. You can see it by looking at others face when they're planning to talk about anything different, because they look distracted, annoyed, sometimes nervous, and they reply only few times in your conversation saying "Hmmm" or "Yes" or "I don't know" and they usually start staring at things around them etc etc...
Wow! From my experienced post I'd say I must be boring most of the times! :P

Hylas
Aug 5th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Makg, maybe I'm always posting questions not because I don't like to talk, but because I prefer to listen to what others say. Questions and answers are not necessarily silly or meaningless. A good two sided conversation, as Fortune said in her post, needs someone who's talking and someone who's listening. The greatest part of conversations are crap because nobody wants to listen :P

MakgSnake
Aug 5th, 2002, 12:30 PM
You can see it by looking at others face when they're planning to talk about anything different, because they look distracted, annoyed, sometimes nervous, and they reply only few times in your conversation saying "Hmmm" or "Yes" or "I don't know" and they usually start staring at things around them etc etc...

Yeah I See That Happening "Sometimes"....And When I Do.... I Straight Away Ask That Person "So U Wanna Change The Topic Eh?"... And Then He/She Gets A Shock And Starts Saying "No, no, What Made U Think Like that" And Stuff.. Aghhh. And No Fortune, As Far As I Know, Ure Post Aren't Boring AT ALL. Infact People Love Reading What U Say!.!

And Hylas.....I Always Had A Feeling That "Hylas" Is The Person Whos Into "Questions, And Answers" Thing. I Know Its Not Because U Dont Like To Talk, But Because U Like To Listen. And Ure Right, Its Hard To Find GOOD Listeners. Girls Usually Try To FIND Good Listeners I Guess. I Think I Am A Good Listener. :)

Rei
Aug 5th, 2002, 08:39 PM
I don't know what you mean for conversation Makg, but I don't think when you talk to someone you're necessarily having a conversation. I don't know if you get what I mean, but a conversation is supposed to be different from an usual talk or chat with someone IMO. So it's not a surprise that it's not easy to have a conversation with others when you don't know them or when you're distracted by other things (as other people said in this thread).

MakgSnake
Aug 6th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Rei, What U Just Did, In The Previous Post Was Had A Conversation With Me. U Were Not Just Typing Just Like That, But For A Reason.......It Was Meant For Me To Read.. Right?

And Now I Am Talking Back ....... Its Like A Late Conversation But Still A Good One.

Hylas
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Having a long conversation about conversations... how odd! Do you often have this kind of conversations in your life or is it just that the forums inspired you? Oh damn! Another question! :laugh:

MakgSnake
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Hylas
Having a long conversation about conversations... how odd! Do you often have this kind of conversations in your life or is it just that the forums inspired you? Oh damn! Another question! :laugh:
Yup Thats Another Question, But Its Cool As Long As Its Mudging Into The Conversation Of Conversation. But....Yeah Its The First Time I Am Discussing This Topic And Yeah It Did Pop Into My Mind Cause Of The Forums! :)

But As Far As I Know... We All Are Having A Decent Conversation Here. Right?

Hylas
Aug 6th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Yeah, maybe this can be considered a good conversation, but not many people are involved. This is a quality though, because too many people discussing about the role of a conversation could be confusing! It's easy to notice that usually the best conversations are aimed to a very small audience, and if the number of people involved is too high, everybody starts having the interest to change topic to something else, in order to keep everybody interested. And it's really hard to keep everybody interested for a long time...

MakgSnake
Aug 6th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Yeah Thats True Hylas, Everytime A Large Number Of People Talk Into Something, ........ Someone For Some Reason Try To Change The Topic...Cause He Wants To Join In And As Well Enjoy, BY Changing The Topic!.!

I Guess In Debates, Thats Not Allowed...... Cause U Have To Talk About A Certain Thing Till U Win The Conversation!.! But.....Debates Aren't Good.....IMO. :)

Cannibal Clown
Aug 6th, 2002, 06:34 PM
But in the aspect of having an internet conversation, debates are probally the closest thing you can get to an actual conversation.You understand feelings, ike anger, or joy, confusement, and you know that your "Voice" is heard by the other you are debating with, along with whoever else may see the argument.

MADRUCKIS
Aug 11th, 2002, 12:59 AM
80% of the time,

I'm being a a total jerk wad to people only cause I appreciate the study of the human psyche under a jackass' pressure

5% of the time,

I'm being genuine cause I beleive my thoughts and veiws may actually help someone understand where I'm coming from.

5% of the time,

I'm realizing that I'm horrible with math.

And the last 46%

I'm taking my time trying to sort out through other people emotions.

What does that get me? It gets me kinda teed off when I write to people and they don't get that I'm being serious or obnoxious or funny or sarcastic or even just mad. The verbal speech is way more gratifying for me cause of that one-on-one interaction with the speeker/listener. Posting my thoughts where ever I am on the net sometimes is hard and can make me not want to post a reply to someone. See me, on this forum, I love to play games and create stories and talk about whatever. But some topics I'll read and just listen cause I know what I want to say won't be understood by just reading it.

Debating with people over the net is fun but I can't do it sometimes cause the one on one thing isn't goin on-and plus I can't slap you if you say somethin stupid!!!:peoples:

Bat2710
Aug 11th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Debating with people over the net is fun but I can't do it sometimes cause the one on one thing isn't goin on-and plus I can't slap you if you say somethin stupid!!!

I totally agree, Madruckis!

MOst people nowadays, if they want to talk about something, go into the internet chat rooms. And half of them don't realise we can all have some sort of 'conversation' outside that.

That's probably why they just answer Q's instead.

Either that, or they don't wanna chat in the first place!

Anyway, that's my opinion. But if you wanna convy, then I'm mor than happy to join in! :)