PDA

View Full Version : Advertising spamming your inbox...

Ruby Moon
Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:41 AM
...how much annoying is it? I'm receiving tons of spammy messages in my inbox and this makes me go mad! I've never suscribed to any of those special offers newletters, but I receive at least 5 or 6 of those stupid emails everyday! Some companies send me the same message more than once within the same day! And also if I ask to be removed from those services
1- the link is broken
2- the email account to unsuscribe doesn't exist
3- they tell me I'll be removed within 24 hours but a week later I'm still receiving this trash

What should I do? Do you have the same problem?
Do I have to create another account and keep it hidden and give it only to closest friends?

jjmoohead
Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Some email programs like hotmail have anti spamming software, I couldn't tell you how to use it because I never do. What I do is have a second email like you said. One is professional (used for signing up for things and recieves a lot of junk mail, and the other personal, given to only my firends and any junk mail recieved is ignored.

The issue with unsubscribing is complex. When you sign up for a program or nesletter your email account is automatically taken and sold to all the other companies that can get its hands on, they inturn sell it someone else, and so on down the line until you get like 40 emails a day. When you unsubscribe to a junk mail the company again sells there unsubsribe list, this time to partners as well as random visiters and then the partners will turn around and send you the same stuff as the other company. Sometimes its the same people with 10 different business names. Also, sometimes the company that offers the info in the spam emails will sell the addy's to simple people like you and me and we can recive a percent of the money that comes in from the people that are actually interested in the product. This is why you may get people like Mike or Tim or Suzy T. sending you the same email over and over. If you tell them to stop, then they just change there name and send again. They already have your email so they don't have to buy it again.

Your best bet is to find a place with anti spamming email programs and start and new email addy. Just send a few mass emails to all your friends stating the new address and they will start sending the emails to your new account. The ones that don't likly were not your friends in the first place and don't give a damn.

IcyMourdor
Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
I signed into my yahoo inbox. I had 1332 new e-mail. All advertisements. I only use hotmail now.

Rei
Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:15 PM
Ruby, that's really one of the most annoying things... But it's better for you to get another email account, because it's really difficult to get rid of spammy emails.

Frozen
Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:33 PM
I actually have like 5 or 6 email accounts :laugh:

What I can tell you, is that if you have an account in hotmail, all you have to do is put all the people you email with into a safe list, that way you will only recieve emails from them in your inbox and the rest of emails recieved will appear in the junk mail folder.

It's simple: Go to options, and then it will appear "safe list" You go there and put the email addresses you want to recieve emails from.

Then, return to "options" and select "junk mail filter" and there set it to "exclusive"

You're done :happy:

jjmoohead
Aug 4th, 2002, 02:59 AM
See i knew it could be done, i am a smart feller, i just gotta do it myslef someday.