PDA

View Full Version : Online play

Infernal Mass
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:33 PM
So who's buying the network adapter??

You know it comes with TMB online...well you have to send in the coupon thing..pretty cool, pretty cool, pretty good, pretty good.

Ice Cold
Jul 29th, 2002, 07:15 PM
I'm going to buy it. Plus Socom US Navy Seals

DOWN_LOW
Jul 29th, 2002, 07:33 PM
FOR ONLY 40 BUCKS WHY WOULDNT YOU GET IT ?

Sleazy P Martini
Jul 29th, 2002, 07:40 PM
I'm with goodman. I'm not convinced online gaming is going to as big as everyone thinks. I'll wait until I'm proven wrong before I buy any extras.

DOWN_LOW
Jul 29th, 2002, 07:51 PM
i agree nothing is for sure with online gaming,but it kills me how people will buy a game with a tremendous amount of hype all the while stinking up the gaming world. But when it comes time for people to spend (what i see) a little extra on a piece of technology that may very well change gaming for ever,everyone all of a sudden gets tight with the cash . It would be nice to see gamers get behind an idea and then let it fail if that be the case. It is this "you first " attitude that will make or brake online gaming> thanks

Infernal Mass
Jul 29th, 2002, 07:57 PM
The thought of playing Twisted Metal Black Online, makes my fingers tingle with anticipation. Plus no monthly fees..that alone sounds very tempting in itself.

I have a reliable cable connection so if everything on Sony's end holds true, it should make for a great gaming experiance for myself.

DOWN_LOW
Jul 29th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Great point about the watering down.
That is a whole new avenue though .

Online gaming is new to Ps2 i realize it is not the pioneer.With sony being the #1 console in the us (probably the world ) I am sure they will give online play the best shot you can be sure . With Nine and a half million strong you can be sure it will by far be the most advanceed online system to date. I thought i just read how most games online will not have an additional charge including SOCOM?

DOWN_LOW
Jul 29th, 2002, 08:48 PM
So when did kids and parents start obeying those stickers any way? Hey man i am not trying to be a smartass here but do you really think that a rating will effect sales or popularity of a game ? Are you sure about the broadband hookup for SOCOM? I know the adapter will come with an internal modem 56k. I agree to also purchase broadband for online gaming is exspensive.I currently have it and i dont know how i did without it.It does up my cable bill but i look at it as a necessary evil. Online gaming will benefit most of all in the sports genre. I cant imagine playing any one i want to on a game like madden. I only hope that online gaming doesnt detract from "one player only titles" If it is affordable (and it looks to be) I just cant see it not becoming a success . Sony has always had top notch coonsoles and A++ titles . That is why SONY is taking there time on this project, because they want to deliver the best product available.

DragonSphere
Jul 29th, 2002, 11:16 PM
I haven't decided whether or not to buy the Network Adaptor since I'm not really a big fan of online gaming. The only game I can see myself playing online is FFXI, but then again that will most likely have a monthly fee (something I'm not really too fond of). And other titles like SOCOM and TMB: Online just don't appeal to me enough to get them. So I guess I'll just sit back and watch to see if the whole online thing is worth it or not.

jjmoohead
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Ill likly get it once they prove to me that hockey works online. Ill play every freaking night if thats the case.

Harry
Jul 30th, 2002, 05:24 AM
You have all good points in your posts. We have a good FAQ on the website, just check it on the main page or a t the address http://www.ps2fantasy.com/hardware/ps2/online.php

If you have questions, ask us and we'll add them in the FAQ.

By the way, most of the games going to be releasd for Ps2 *should* be playable with normal dial-up connection. Of course, many of them will have limited features with narrowband connection. For example, TW: B Online is playable with narrowband, but it allows only two-players games; the ones with a broadband connection will be able to enjoy 8-players games.

Harry
Jul 30th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Kabuki Magnifico
The thought of playing Twisted Metal Black Online, makes my fingers tingle with anticipation. Plus no monthly fees..that alone sounds very tempting in itself.

Hehe I completely agree with you :drool:

Sleazy P Martini
Jul 30th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Hey think how cool it would be to have a PS2Fantasy TMB tournament. :cool:

Harry
Jul 30th, 2002, 08:35 AM
That would be awesome.

Sleazy P Martini
Jul 30th, 2002, 11:09 AM
So when TMB goes online are you going to have to buy a special "online version" of the game? Or will the old one work?

DOWN_LOW
Jul 30th, 2002, 05:31 PM
I think that you strongly underestimate the number of gamers over the age of eighteen . There are a vast number of gamers that grew up with nintendo,ps one, n 64or whatever, so chances are if you bought a nintendo when they were first available then you are over eighteen. Online gaming seems only to be a natural progression of gaming. While I do realize younger gamers are huge part of the market, you also have to notice all the effort gone into games targeted towards the older crowd. A great example is nintendo (present day ). They have recieved immense criticism for "childish games" .(ZELDA LUIGI'S MANSION, ) While quality games they may be , time and the market have passed them by. On the other hand there is the huge success of titles such as resident evil, duke nukem,dino crisis, silent hill,and max payne -none of these i am sure were geared toward the younger crowd .One of the ps2's strong points is the diversity of their titles. So i am still unclear as to your point about SOCOM being M ?

DOWN_LOW
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Your post is hopefully somewhat clear to me now. First, let me say, i would like to see that pole as well. Second, if they label a game as average violence ,or average anything for that matter,then kids will buy it. If they attach an "adult only" tag to it then kids will TEAR DOWN THE MALLS TO GET IT. So it is not as ironic as one might think. Last of all thank you for the reply(s) and I am glad to hear that someone is going to shell out and go online like myself, rather than wait for Ned the neighbor to come running down the street screaming how unbelievably addicting online gaming is. This is Sony folks ,not some discontinued system that for some reason was "always thinking" and not always performing. So feast or famine , give it an honest chance like we all did on that one game we thought was cool but has now been converted into a coaster for beer.

Harry
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini
So when TMB goes online are you going to have to buy a special "online version" of the game? Or will the old one work?

No, you get a free copy of the game if you buy the Network Adapter. You just have to send the card included in the package. There are rumors that it could be possible to find some shop willing to give you immediately the game if you give them the card when you buy the Network Adapter.

DOWN_LOW
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:46 PM
The only assumption that was made, was that you found SOCOM being an ADULT title ironic . No assumption was made about your knowledge or lack there of. My position or counterpoint is that the gaming industry,including online gaming , is not nor doubtfully will be, dominated by people under the age sventeen. As a 44 year old MULTI home owner, with a yacht in Cancun, and two parakeets (now i am being a smartass) I am humbled.

AudioBoxer
Jul 30th, 2002, 09:37 PM
I think that the idea of a TMB tourni sounds fun. What would be really cool would be a FFXl clan or something that would be so fun. I think it is not gunna be that big of a hit (Talking about online gaming). Dreamcast was not that big of a hit, I played it and liked it. The only reason it wasnt was cus that there were not that many games out for online usage. As many games as there is for the release on the adapter there was total or maybe les out for the DC. I hope and I know it will do good.
I am not really new to the "Online Gaming" Scence I have been playing games online since Half Life was realsesed. Right now I am stuck on playing MOHAA online, that game has a acrady feeling but it is sure fun. Socom has a adult rating only cus of the walkie talkie thing and the shooting. The walkie talkie thing is most of the rating cus you can say anything!!!!!!

TrikTopz

jjmoohead
Jul 31st, 2002, 01:50 AM
I have never really been into the final fantasy series but i do plan on picking it up to play online so I would be up for the PS2Fantasy Clan

Sleazy P Martini
Jul 31st, 2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Harry
No, you get a free copy of the game if you buy the Network Adapter. You just have to send the card included in the package. There are rumors that it could be possible to find some shop willing to give you immediately the game if you give them the card when you buy the Network Adapter.
Coool, thanks Harry. I just saw the FAQ.....Doh! The thought of playing TMB with you all has changed my opinion of the online thing. :cool:

BlueShark3
Aug 1st, 2002, 08:48 PM
i think the question u ask is who is not goin to get the network adaptor

oh and im getting it to

DOWN_LOW
Aug 1st, 2002, 09:45 PM
Thats what I like to see blue shark ! That spirit is what the online gaming community needs. I wish that sentiment were echoed . Play on player :laugh:

AudioBoxer
Aug 1st, 2002, 10:48 PM
the realese games are I think:

Socom US Navy Seals:2-16 Broadband only
TWB:2-8 players broadband, 2 56k
Tribe AA:2-16 Players broadband, 2-4 56k
Madden NFL 2003:Broad and 56k
TimeSplitters 2:2-16 Broad, 2-4 56k
NFL Gameday (Not as good as madden I cant tell you that so far):2-8 both
Frequency online:2-4 both

I think thats all the game for realese

kupoartist
Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:01 AM
Final Fantasy XI is not PS2 exclusive, so with the PC version following shortly (or probably even before in the case of Europe), I won't be bothering to spend lots of cash on somthing my PC can already do ^_^

The Skum
Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:16 AM
Hmmmm...i might not have the chance of getting it since my pc has the only phone line in this house and my ps2 is on the 2nd floor room...ehem,besides that,The thought of TMB is good...yes...but you havent counted the dozens or to be exact thousands of members of certain little tm site that are really immature that will be getting the game...if i do play i'd be with someone from PS2F,and i heard U.S. Socom wont support 56k lines? So i guess the game would be worthless in puerto rico?

jjmoohead
Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:32 PM
As soon as I hear NHL 2003 is online then Ill get it forsure. I love playing hockey and sports games and to play other people would be sweater then sweat!