PDA

View Full Version : Bond vs. Powers

007_JamesBond
Jul 26th, 2002, 01:59 PM
here is an interesting article that was found to prove my point that Bond rules, lol what do you think

007 to Austin Powers Laugh While You Can Baby
Thu Jul 25, 8:13 PM ET
By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Secret agent 007 has a not-so-secret message for Austin Powers: laugh all you can now baby, the real thing hits movie theaters this November.

Pierce Brosnan, the current James Bond, says he is giving a thumbs up to the groovy 1960s spoof of the Bond character created by comedian Mike Myers for "Austin Powers in Goldmember," which opens nationwide on Friday.

Myers has thrilled audiences with the "Powers" movies -- three in all -- that spoof Hollywood spy flicks in general, and the 40-year-old, 007 mega-franchise, specifically.

So, one might think the man he makes fun of, Bond himself, might be a little shaken if not stirred.

Not so, the Irish-born Brosnan told Reuters on Thursday.

"Listen, I just take it as a huge compliment," he said.

But then the star of the upcoming November Bond movie, "Die Another Day," adds a little edge to his praise.

"But whenever I find out where he lives, I'm going to smack him," he laughed.

Seriously, Brosnan said he met a lemonade-sipping Myers at a Hollywood party and walked up, introduced himself and said: "So you're the guy that's been taking the piss out of me."

"He said, 'That's right,"' Brosnan added. "Listen I think it's great. I'm a fan because doing the movie is a half a breath away from parody anyway."

Brosnan said that sometimes, when he's shooting one of those big Bond action sequences with cars that turn into submarines or cars that turn into boats or just plain cars, he starts whistling the 007 theme song and chuckling to himself.

'TIME OF MY LIFE'

"I'm playing Bond, man ... and I'm having the time of my life playing it."

His fourth outing opens in November in the 20th Bond series movie since 1962's "Dr. No," and Brosnan promises more plot twists and turns than fans have ever seen from a Bond movie.

This time Bond is working outside his super-secret British spy agency, and he's not sure if they are giving him the right information.

Then again, the villain, who, of course, wants to take over the world, tries to lure Bond to his side by masquerading as a good guy. "He's betrayed by the bad guys and he's betrayed by his own people," Brosnan said.

Poor Bond doesn't know whom to trust.

So Bond turns to this version's Bond girl, Jinx, played by Halle Berry. But even she turns out to be something she's not.

"It lends itself to a far better movie that just having special effects, followed by more special effects, followed by a bedroom sequence," Brosnan said. "There was stuff to play, and that's what you're always looking for as an actor."

The original British Bond car, an Aston Martin, returns. But this version is a modern, $227,000 racer equipped with a 460-horsepower engine and "all the bells and whistles we came to know in 'Goldfinger."'

Bond also has a supersonic ring that "enables him to get out of certain situations" and, as always, a sports watch that does more than simply tell time.

But will Brosnan return for a fifth Bond?

It's a question that follows him every time a new Bond movie comes around since his first turn in 1995's "GoldenEye."

"I would like to do another one, yes. I can't think beyond that. There comes a point when you think, boredom sets in, not that I am now. It's just the repetition. But I'd certainly like to do another one."

With that said, it looks like Mike Myers and Austin Powers will have plenty of material for their own version of 007 for years to come.

jjmoohead
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:15 PM
I like the austin powers movies just becuase its mike myers. Dude is amazing.

As far as more movies, well Brosnen might be ok with it but im sure the copywrite people are working on the biggest lawsuit if it happens again.

Hell, they tried it 2 times already, 3rd time lucky right!

GO POWERS!

007_JamesBond
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:19 PM
ha ha ha, exactly meyers makes it worth wild but Bond rules