PDA

View Full Version : Dubbed and translated series

Ruby Moon
Jul 24th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Do you mind if the english/US (if you're from another country it's the same) version of anime are translated or dubbed in a way that all the original names of characters/places are changed, or if even some lines of the dialogues are different from the japanese version?

Cannibal Clown
Jul 24th, 2002, 11:06 AM
There is nothing more annoying in an anime than altered diolauge in the show. I can sometimes tolerate it if it's just another way of saying something, of describing something, because of the differences between American and Japanese literature, by how we interpret things.

But all in all, the dubbing and subbing should be they way the film was intended.

Rei
Jul 24th, 2002, 11:42 AM
If there's something I absolutely hate, is when they change names in series I love to watch! That gives me nerves :frust:
It happens quite often, and I don't know why they just can't keep the original names with a decent transcription.

merylsilverburg
Jul 25th, 2002, 06:17 PM
I don't like it when the dialogue is altered completely, but if it's only slightly, then it's not a problem. I haven't watch any series where the names are changed completely, so I can't really say about it. But, I would be annoyed anyway....:mad: Like CC said, the difference in English and Japanese can alter the translation, but there are times when the Japanese clearly says "Stop!" but the English subtitles said "No!" :disturb: I think that could be subbed better, but it doesn't bother me as much.

Cannibal Clown
Jul 26th, 2002, 10:40 AM
As long at it stayes relistic and keeps the feeling it is supposed to have, then i'm fine i guess.

Frozen
Jul 27th, 2002, 06:42 AM
I really hate most of dubs. Specially when they change the context, as many have already recalled by now. However, I've seen several dubbed anime to spanish (which is my native language) such as Evangelion and Dragon Ball, and I must say that the dubbing job was real good. They just limited themselves to translate keeping the context as close as possible to the original.