PDA

View Full Version : Immersion : 1st Person vs 3rd Person

kupoartist
Jul 24th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Which is more immersersive for you? which helps you feel like you are the character, not just controlling it?

Is first person more immersive than third person, beacuse you are seeing through the eyes of your character, or is it just freaky being nothing more than a disembodied hand holding a gun?

Macceh^
Jul 24th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Third person tbh, because most first person shooter games dont show any character depth anyway.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jul 24th, 2002, 11:40 AM
I think first person is more immerse.I mean it feels like your in the game and everything surrounds you.Things that pop up are much more surprising too.

Rei
Jul 24th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Macceh^
Third person tbh, because most first person shooter games dont show any character depth anyway.

I completely agree with Macceh: first person is not immersive at all to me.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:55 PM
It doesnt have to be third person to be immersive at all and you dont need that view to show depth.Depth is show through story.If your talking about how a character looks most fps have cut scences and such.Halo for example is more immersive than any third person title right now except mgs2 right now.

Hylas
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:59 PM
I think third person is more immersive. A game that's not so good can be quite immersive if it's in third person mode, while a first person game has to be perfect to be somewhat immersive IMO, or the whole thing starts to irritate me.

Mercury Shadow
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:15 PM
definitely 3rd person... first person you never even see your face unless there's a mirror (duke nukem has 'em) or in a cinematic. Third person, you see the face of your person and the movements you make, etc.

DragonSphere
Jul 24th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Third person has my vote since it just feels more "real" to me by that you can see the emotions of the characters, observe there body language, and see them perform various action moves; therefore nearly removing all the boundaries between what's real and what's not. In other words, making you believe that you are that character (whoever it may be), living in a virtual world where anything can happen. (A good example is Shenmue for the Dreamcast)

So much so that I believe a first person game can never replicate that same exact experience.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jul 24th, 2002, 10:28 PM
You have to remember though that all the emotion are usually shown in cut scenes.In fps there are cut scenes that show all the emotions and such.

jbaseley
Aug 16th, 2002, 08:00 PM
i agree with sssnake, first person is a lot more imersive its just most dont have much of a story yet some do. a good example is half life and this is the potential that FPS has.

MakgSnake
Aug 16th, 2002, 10:11 PM
I Love Movies, I Love Watching Them, I Would Love To Control A Character In A Movie, But I Cant.....So Now A Days "Third Person" Games Let Me Control A Movie. So I Feel The Same Magic Of A Movie But Controlling The Character.

And It Was The Third Person Games That Made Me Fall In Love With VideoGames. "Starting With" ---> "Alone In The Dark 1"

Maldini
Aug 16th, 2002, 10:56 PM
third person is better.

Daniel Legge
Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:30 PM
well i prefer 1st person as its a little more realistic. i dunno about u ppl but i know i dont see myself from a camera above my head.

although i do like games where u can have 1st and 3rd person views eg, conflick desert storm. where u can do everything in either 1st or 3rd person views.

Uchiha Sasuke
Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:12 AM
Immerse-Immersive-To surround,To engage deeply; to engross the attention of; to involve; to overhelm.Umm I think that 1st person shooters got the egde if you use that definition.And this thread is titled Immersion 1st or 3rd and 1st person shooters are more immersive.

Daniel Legge
Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:48 AM
good point.