PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughs

Rei
Jul 21st, 2002, 05:31 AM
Do you ever think about the person that is "on the other side of the monitor"? Let me explain: when you have a relation or a conversation with anyone, you usually have some kind of contact with this person. You have the feeling that the person is there, that you can touch them or see them. But for the people around a Forum, and in general for the people you meet online is it the same thing? Do you ever think they laugh readingsome posts, do you ever think of their facial expression when they seem to go mad when replying a thread? Do you ever wonder if, for example, when they talk to you only by using a keyboard they really change their expression while writing, or if they just laugh pushing some keys or not?

Solidus
Jul 21st, 2002, 07:01 AM
No, not on this forum, I'm not very populair on this forum, you see.
Most of them hate me. Hahahah, do you think I'm really laughing now or just pressing some keys?

IcyMourdor
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:02 AM
Actually, I do get those thoughts at times. Maybe it is just a little paranoia, in wondering what they are thinking. You tell a joke, but do they actually laugh? I guess when you talk to people often, you gain a feeling of trust between you and the other person. It does seem weird, but still, people have relationships over the net, so being friends isn't hard at all. I know I have made a few friends from this forum, and some others. I have no idea what their expressions are when they talk to me, but all I can really do is trust in what they type.

MADRUCKIS
Jul 21st, 2002, 01:24 PM
Well,
with me- I'm always with a smirk on my face. I just got in a convo about "lol". Does anybody really laugh out loud when they type it or do they just type it? Honestly!
I know when I laugh at sumthin someone wrote I sometimes write "heheh" as sort of my villianous laugh, but I don't do it physically. My "lol" are always physical. But more important, my now trademark

hmpff--------------

is actually what I do. See I write that when I start a convo that more than likely people would disregard my imput or even when I feel that I'm kinda reluctant to write anyhting but I'm writing it cause I feel I could add some info anyways----------if any of that makes sense!

:peoples:

Pu the Owl
Jul 21st, 2002, 02:38 PM
Well, I think those are normal doubts you can have when you have to communicate only with a keyboard. I think about it sometimes and, even if it's not a great worry in my life, it's really important to me to have an idea regarding the sincere reactions of people I meet in places like this one. It's impossible to say if I'm completely sincere or not, but most of the time I am. Being sincere all the time is not possible also in the real life, and it's obvious that this is even more difficult in online relations or communications. But I think it's easier to be sincere when it comes to superficial reactions, like laughing or getting angry for a comment. It's not something you have to think about too much, so it's natural to reply in a certain way, like showing you're laughing and so on.
When it comes to deeper (re)actions it's a bit different.

MakgSnake
Jul 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM
Well.......For Me If some laughs Or Shows Some Emotions..Or even some smilies.....i just have think that they are actually doing it in real life. It just makes these internet meeting more lifelike. and i enjoy it more.

and same for me. if u see me typing. "Hmmm"..i am actually making that sound. and when typing heheh or anything related to that. i do that...........cause if i dont....then i dont type it in.

and yes i always try to picture that other person i meet online. ALWAYS.!!!!!!. and the picture is always a nice one. unless if they are annoying..and irritating and ####ed up.

neways......ive imagined each one of u too. crazy isn't it.

MADRUCKIS
Jul 21st, 2002, 05:13 PM
Not crazy at all

I think it's a genuine human reaction to try to picture another person that they've never met in the physical realm. Thats why people invented webcams, for those who feel obliged to get that type of interaction.
When we read books, we try to picture the characters movements and physica attributes through their description through words. Thats all we're doin here! It's not easy but hey, I guess its human nature

Cannibal Clown
Jul 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
I always do that aswell. But for me,tey all look like their avitars. So if i talk to someone with an avitar with a smirk or really happy expression on their faces, then to me, that's what they look like to me, very happy, and lol, means lol.

I'm a very imaginitive person, and always thing in pictorial form, so i'm always talking to somone right in front of me, when typing to others. Because, in reality, how phisical are you with any of your friemds,or the peope youtalk to. Do you even shake their hands, or pat them on the back, or make any contact at all. Most people don't notice it, but people stay away from touching others. So to me, it's like the same thing, just the voice is always my own, unless i'm typing with a female, then i have the feeling that there is a girls voice instead of my own.

Rei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown
I always do that aswell. But for me,tey all look like their avitars.

I tend to imagine some people accordingly to their avatars as well and the best thing is that it doesn't seem so weird when you look at them everyday :laugh:

Satans_Angel
Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:37 PM
Now you guys got me creeped out 'cause I'm wondering if you ever like picture me in my underware or something. When I talk to people in this forum I ussually picture them like their avatars too. Like if there a girl with a good looking animae girl for their avatar I think "WoW!" she must be hott!

Ruby Moon
Jul 24th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Satans_Angel
When I talk to people in this forum I ussually picture them like their avatars too. Like if there a girl with a good looking animae girl for their avatar I think "WoW!" she must be hott!

LOL :laugh:
I suggest to everyone to choose really carefully their avatars!

Rei
Jul 24th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Now I wonder: what do you expect me to look like when I post if you look at the eye in my avatar? :shock:

Hadoken
Jul 24th, 2002, 01:53 PM
there's always the banner. ;)
but hey, at least yours is human. i wonder what people think when they look at mine. do they think they're talking to a cat who pimps or sumthin?
and what about the facial expression on it? i'm not as stubborn as my avatar looks.:laugh:

Cannibal Clown
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Rei
Now I wonder: what do you expect me to look like when I post if you look at the eye in my avatar? :shock:

Well lets see, yuorname is Rei, you have a red eye, blue hair, and it says that you are currently at Nerv. So I always get a little image of Ayanami looking back at me in a stern way whenever you say something in anger, everything is emotionless.

Especially condsidering my avitar, you must hate me.

Rei
Jul 24th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Clown

Especially condsidering my avitar, you must hate me.

hehehe yeah, but I think Nagisa Kaoru is a cute guy, so I can't hate him!

Satans_Angel
Jul 25th, 2002, 03:51 AM
I have to say and I know this isn't always true but how many people actually lol? I mean sure every once in a while you might be like haha hoho or just kind of sniger but who actually really sits there and laughs at a computer screen? lol, hmm I don't think I laughed there. sry. Who actually really and truly gets mad? I mean like I said before it isn't always the case but most of the time I doubt we really get mad. I've never seen any of you people on the street or any thing and I probaly never will so why should I get mad at some thing you put in your post? Just some random thoughts.......

Rei
Jul 25th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Satans_Angel
I've never seen any of you people on the street or any thing and I probaly never will so why should I get mad at some thing you put in your post?

You don't have to meet someone to hate him/her :laugh: jk
But sometimes you can get mad because of some words posted by others, even if you don't know them.

jjmoohead
Jul 25th, 2002, 04:31 PM
I admit i once tried to stangle my monitor around its base stand only cause it was pissing me off and i was having a bad day. I also gave it a headlock and proceded to give it the hugest bulldog of all time. The greatest part is the monitor has never messed up since.

Yeah! It knows who's boss!

Rei
Jul 25th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by jjmoohead
I admit i once tried to stangle my monitor around its base stand only cause it was pissing me off and i was having a bad day. I also gave it a headlock and proceded to give it the hugest bulldog of all time. The greatest part is the monitor has never messed up since.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EDIT- Yeah, in case you're wondering: I'm really laughing...

Satans_Angel
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Yeah I guess your right you can get mad sometimes. I bet people get pissed when they find out they got banned and while we're on the subject whats up with everyone getting banned? I mean someone makes a post and by the next day they're gone. I'm gonna go hide under a cardboard box so I don't do any thing to get banned!