PDA

View Full Version : Online games: Ps2Fantasy & Star Wars Galaxies

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 08:59 AM
I was just reading today in Star Wars: Galaxies official FAQ that players will be able to build cities or little towns in the game. You'll be able to own vehicles, pets and also droids that can help you during the game. This game looks awesome and will be released for PC (hopefully this year) and consoles (next year).

Don't you think it would be great to create a Ps2Fantasy city or team into the game to go and rock into the Star Wars universe?

You know we can go and create a Rebel group for example, buy our own spaceship at Mos Eisley... and the wannabe-Jedi in our team could travel together from planet to planet to find a way to train and learn the way of the force... hey and maybe somebody could turn into a Sith... who knows?

Well I'm not mad, just a BIG fan of the series. BIG, really.

AudioBoxer
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:12 AM
LOL thats cool, is it going to be a massivly multiplayer game or what? Is it coming out for PS2? I am a pretty big fan of star wars to, I have always loved it, but some of the games they make are just copies kinda of the same kinda game a month or week before that, they come out with soooo many Space shooters its not funny. I hope this one is good though cus it sounds really good!!!

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Actually, I think this could be the hugest MMORPG around next year (yes, even bigger than FFXI). It's coming to PC, Ps2 and Xbox... the game is enomous, nine entire planets to explore, comeple character customization... basiclaly the developers worked to let the players do everything they have seen in the movies.

kupoartist
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:11 PM
It'd sure be cool, but its doubtful I'll be joining you: Star wars does nothing wonderful for me, and I'll be probably too into FFXI to care... The only problem I really have would be that Galaxies will almost certainly have wide PvP use (PvP being the tool of arseholes the world over, and risks destroying commnunities like those Galaxies promises to make) ... Oh and I'd far rather be a Dragoon or a Black Mage than a Jedi, but I'm sure they'll be plently to disagree :laugh:

Oh and finally, the chances of a PS2fantasy village would sadly be low... as cool as any MMORPG sounds, only about 20% of the people here are going to be able to afford an online life... Though its an awful nice thought to take the community that much futher...

Oh and Harry? what plans do you currently have for PS2 online coverage on PS2fantasy?

AsylumEscapee
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:38 PM
How many people arent planning on using a lightsaber? Anyone?

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by the_artist
It'd sure be cool, but its doubtful I'll be joining you: Star wars does nothing wonderful for me, and I'll be probably too into FFXI to care... The only problem I really have would be that Galaxies will almost certainly have wide PvP use (PvP being the tool of arseholes the world over, and risks destroying commnunities like those Galaxies promises to make) ... Oh and I'd far rather be a Dragoon or a Black Mage than a Jedi, but I'm sure they'll be plently to disagree :laugh:

Oh and finally, the chances of a PS2fantasy village would sadly be low... as cool as any MMORPG sounds, only about 20% of the people here are going to be able to afford an online life... Though its an awful nice thought to take the community that much futher...

Oh and Harry? what plans do you currently have for PS2 online coverage on PS2fantasy?

Yeah, I guess you're right... luckily the PvP use will be very limited in the final game. And anyhow, I'll never have enough time to play a lot FFXI or Star Wars Galaxies... and I know that just a few of us here will be able to afford a broadband connection and pay the monthly fees of these games. :(

Just dreaming a bit :)

Speaking of coverage for online games, I was thinking about a weekly special, starting with our preview of U.S. Socom Navy Seals and then continuing with a look at FFXI, Nobunaga Online and Star Wars: Galaxies (but developers are not willing to speak about the console versions yet...). Surprisingly, it's not that easy to have official answers on details and other aspects of Ps2 online. If you have any particular request, or if you noticed that other websites didn't care about an important aspect of online games, just drop me a line. And thanks for asking, I thought just a couple of people in the forums were actually reading the content of the website.

Oh, a last thing - don't get me wrong: I'm very excited about playing Final Fantasy XI too! So maybe we'll be able to travel together in FFXI :)

kupoartist
Jul 19th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Harry
Speaking of coverage for online games, I was thinking about a weekly special, starting with our preview of U.S. Socom Navy Seals and then continuing with a look at FFXI, Nobunaga Online and Star Wars: Galaxies (but developers are not willing to speak about the console versions yet...). Surprisingly, it's not that easy to have official answers on details and other aspects of Ps2 online....

hehe... i'm not all that suprised, but then that could be because i'm european, and therefore effectivly fifth rate scum in the eyes of just about any Games company ^_^ besides that, you only have to look at FFXI : This game is out already in Japan, yet we still know so little about it. Most of the stuff ever said, is pure speculation, or just utter non-sense :laugh:

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by goodman
If this game is the one im thinking of, its made by the creators of Everquest, and be assured, it will be on PC way before it hits any console. Im trusting this to be correct, it should be a very good game, though, because its creators know how to do the online thing, which few others do....

Yeah Fred, you're completely right... the PC game is going to be released months before the console version...

I've talked today with LucasArts PR and they said that there are no details about the console versions... and to me, it seemed we'll have to wait for a long time before having futher details.

And yes, the core development guys, who worked on Ultima and Everquest, have experience like no other when it comes to online games. And there is one thing that they are doing and that I really appreciate... they constantly talk with gamers using the game community and forums (http://www.starwarsgalaxies.com) and they ask real suggestions and ideas - It's something that will be very useful to the final product.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 19th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Is the PS2 game going to be a slightly different version of the PC game? Or a whole different MMORPG? Ive seen the PC screenshots, and I dont see how they could possibly port this game to the PS2, its just too pretty.

And apparently, they're already planning an expansion pack. Ripoff!

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Oh well... you are speaking of the space expansions right? Well, the game is just so huge (9 times the world of Everquest) that we can't speak of a ripoff. Just read the faq (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/features/faq.jsp) and start drooling...

The Space expansion will add the possibility to take part into real "Star Wars" with your X-Wing, Tie Fighter etc... Of course, you'll have to buy the spaceship, and in order to buy it you ahve to earn a good amount of money. The add-on will be released at the time that a consistent number of players will have the money (both in-game - to buy the spaceships - and in the real world - to buy the add-on - hahaha)

There are no details on the Ps2 or Xbox version yet - and yes, the game looks pretty, but actually Final Fantasy XI seems to me as surprising as this. In other words, I sincerely think the Ps2 will be able to handle it. What I don't understand is how they can say that the came should be playable with a normal mode. To me, it seems impossible.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Harry
Oh well... you are speaking of the space expansions right? Well, the game is just so huge (9 times the world of Everquest) that we can't speak of a ripoff. Just read the faq (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/features/faq.jsp) and start drooling...

The Space expansion will add the possibility to take part into real "Star Wars" with your X-Wing, Tie Fighter etc... Of course, you'll have to buy the spaceship, and in order to buy it you ahve to earn a good amount of money. The add-on will be released at the time that a consistent number of players will have the money (both in-game - to buy the spaceships - and in the real world - to buy the add-on - hahaha)

There are no details on the Ps2 or Xbox version yet - and yes, the game looks pretty, but actually Final Fantasy XI seems to me as surprising as this. In other words, I sincerely think the Ps2 will be able to handle it. What I don't understand is how they can say that the came should be playable with a normal mode. To me, it seems impossible.

Wait, what dont you understand? I didnt quite understand that last line. Ive seen the FAQ, and the game looks amazing, I must admit. Plus I have a soft spot for MMORPGs. And lightsabers, theyre just cool. But, eh, the game isnt even out yet and theyre already planning on squeazing every penny. Im sure they could realease the whole space content on the first release. But thats just me.

I'm just a bit unsure on the PS2s ability to draw scenes like this. (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/media/screenshots/pan_05.html)
But its possible.

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by AsylumEscapee

Wait, what dont you understand? I didnt quite understand that last line. Ive seen the FAQ, and the game looks amazing, I must admit. Plus I have a soft spot for MMORPGs. And lightsabers, theyre just cool. But, eh, the game isnt even out yet and theyre already planning on squeazing every penny. Im sure they could realease the whole space content on the first release. But thats just me.

I'm just a bit unsure on the PS2s ability to draw scenes like this. (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/media/screenshots/pan_05.html)
But its possible.

Haha sorry guys I type my posts too fast... the phrase was:
What I don't understand is how they can say that the game should be playable with a normal modem.

In other words, also the ones who don't have a broadband connection should be able to play the game....

Oh and that's actually a gorgeous in-game screenshot... look at the quality of the textures, the sky, the smoke, the shadow and real.time lighting effects... yes that's really impressive. We'll see what they can do with the Ps2.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Well, EverQuest is playable with a modem, so are most other MMORPGs.

I wonder how the expansion pack thing will be handled on consoles.. hmm.

Sid554
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM

I would assume this is what the HDD is for. Just a guess.

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:35 PM

Yeah, it's true... but SWG seems to be so filled with features and information that I fear that modem users will be unable to play many parts of the game...

And well, the expansion pack thing could be troublesome for the console version... even if with the HDD necessary to play MMORPG there is no reason that an expansion should not be available for console users...

Or maybe they will release the game + expansion in the same DVD for the consoles? Oh well, we are just speculating, but that's fun.

What's sure... this is going to be one of the hottest titles of the years to come...

Harry
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Sid554

I would assume this is what the HDD is for. Just a guess.

Yeah, this is why the HDD is necessary for online games. Need to save character information, stats, patches, upgrades, expansions, faster loading times... but so far, the only "patched" console game is FFXI, even if there are titles like Morrowind that would need some decent patch for the console version.

AsylumEscapee
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Yeah, the HHD would be my guess too.